TTR

Getting price gouged help me pls

So....

When I insured my car last year, 1 month after I passed my driving test, it cost me a grand total of £850 to insure.

Now that I have 1 year of driving experience and 1 years NCB I'm looking at £1600+ to insure my car. I haven't changed postcode or anything, every detail is still the same apart from gaining NCB and Driving experience. So my question is two fold, to the club insurers on here that either haven't been able to quote me (All of them)....Can you shed some light and justify how the F*** my insurance has F****** doubled despite getting more driving experience and NCB . To the members on here, I have tried Sky/AIB/Flux/Aviva/Direct Line and they won't quote me, are there any other insurers that I can try? (The likes of Greenlight and CKI won't insure me due to my age and the length at which i've held my license).

So yeah pls help

41 minutes ago, Mike said:

How young are you? 

I can't help but think your current insurer may have messed up somewhere, less than a grand is cheap for first year insurance!

I'm 20 years old. When I insured the car I didn't have mods on it, when I put the mods on it came to £980 for wheels, stickers, wrap, coilovers, exhaust and remap.

Confused.com/Go Compare/Compare the Market quotes are coming out at £2,500

Add a parent with no accidents to the policy as a named driver (not you as the named driver) even if they have no intention of driving the car. Might cut some of the risk and drop the quote price for comparison sites.

2 minutes ago, Steeps said:

Add a parent with no accidents to the policy as a named driver (not you as the named driver) even if they have no intention of driving the car. Might cut some of the risk and drop the quote price for comparison sites.

So, when I called Admiral it puts the price down to take them off for my renewal. But on comparison sites, as you said. It brings the price down. 

Am I the only one to see their insurance nearly double in price this year? 

5 minutes ago, TTR said:

So, when I called Admiral it puts the price down to take them off for my renewal. But on comparison sites, as you said. It brings the price down. 

Even my renewal was only up by a fiver. And that was with all the extra mods. But I'm old and boring now (28, 5 years exp, 5 years NCB, married, homeowner).

My renewal stayed the same, but when I called to add the wheels suddenly I was asked about the performance enhancements of my air filter and exhaust even though they had been on the car for 2 years and declared as a 10% increase in power, then hiked the price up 20% to add the alloys because the car was suddenly too sexy and it would be stolen, decided not to explain that they were a summer wheel only and the stock ones would be on in winter as they'd probably want another 20% increase because I want a safer tyre on the road.

My renewal didn't change, but then I changed companies and saved 10%. I'd put your details in the same as last year (so 0 ncb etc) and see what figures you get... you probably won't get £850 again!

1 hour ago, TTR said:

If you're with Admiral just say you got a lower price elsewhere, somewhere near the amount you'd be happy to pay and you are thinking of switching if they can't do a better deal, you'll be surprised how much they knock off. Got my renewal price knocked down by £150 last time I did mine.

That said, I'm 21 with 4 years NCB and still paying £1250 with Exhaust and Wheels declared so I think you got one hell of a deal for your first year.

I have a multi car with them every year they ramp up the price and we do a deal I had a slight lncrease this year but changed my wife's KA for a new Mini but I could easily go to separate companies owing to my increasing age

I'm sorry but at £1600 you shouldn't be sniffing at it. It's a reasonable price given your circumstances. Unfortunately if you're under 21 for the first few years you just have to suck it up and pay. That's the way it is. I still don't pay under £1k even now. They simply made a mistake in your first year.

Sorry to say it but I also think they screwed up last year. My nephew pays more than you did on a boggo seat Ibiza, nice postcode, etc and he's a year older than you with ncb, etc

you need to change your job :lol:, I work for the NHS and it only cost me around 650 with mods declared, was a lot more when I didn't declare my job was with the NHS

but as other have said, it's likely they screwed up with your details in your 1st year

To be fair, 1 years NCB is nothing and your age is going to hugely count against you. I can scarcely believe that you got it for £850 in the first year. I guess all you can do is shop around. It's why being young is so over-rated. 

Good luck with finding a better quote, but like other's have said it may well be that you got lucky in your first year. 

If you've changed jobs that may have an impact. As a social worker for example I reckon it whacks my premium up, but it doesn't matter that much as I've been driving nearly 29 years and have full NCB, so it's never going to be too expensive really whatever I drive. 

They must have messed up that first year quote, it's amazing that you got it that cheap. Hell, £1,600 is still mighty cheap for your age with 1 year NCB, £2.5k although silly is what I'd expect you to get quoted.

When I was your age with 3 years NCB I was paying over a grand to insure an 8V Golf :lol:

Getting a parent involved is probably your best bet man, good luck :)

Probably doesn't help with the number of 86s that have binned it this year, or even the number of accidents in many vehicle in your area can affect the price. Like others have said, first year at £850 is mega cheap. Did you have any advanced driving tuition? I've heard they only affect your premium for the first year or something.

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Keethos said:

Probably doesn't help with the number of 86s that have binned it this year, or even the number of accidents in many vehicle in your area can affect the price. Like others have said, first year at £850 is mega cheap. Did you have any advanced driving tuition? I've heard they only affect your premium for the first year or something.

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more with cars damaged or write offs to percentage of cars sold in UK the ratio must be terrible