Tom B

Track day tuition

My main plan for my car next year is to get out on track. I have many reservations however, as my only experience 'on track' was a CAT driving day in Summer, which while it was fantastic, I didn't gain any actual track experience or etiquette as such (As it's not a track day obviously!!)

Im frightened to death of having an accident, my car is financed and a can't afford to just buy another if it does all go wrong! I fear my lack of understanding would end me up in trouble!

I keep seeing you seasoned drivers using all sorts of technical phrases that I haven't a clue what they mean, and I don't know how to find out!

Soooo.... I'm looking to see if anyone can recommend any track day tutors or tuition they've had to help them learn the ropes? Or share their experiences when going out on track for the first time. 

Thanks! 😃

When are you thinking of starting?

There's a track day at Bedford on 12th December. Huge wide track with shedloads of run-off.

I always get a single 20 minute session on a trackday to learn the lines and techniques, get a session as early as possible so you have the rest of the day to practice!

I stipulated 'next year' as I've just bought winter tyres, which wouldn't be ideal I'd imagine :lol: Although I like the sound of Bedford if it has plenty of run off space!

From all the trackdays that I've done so far, it's pretty much the same bunch of tutors so shouldn't really matter which track or which tutor, just find a good track with plenty of run off.  The tutors are pretty good, they can tailor it for being a complete novice (so they can tell you what to look out for, driving etiquette, basic techniques to help you on any track etc.) to more experience drivers who want to learn that particular circuit more (i.e. braking points, racing lines etc.).

The briefings in the mornings will also give new comers plenty of info to take in i.e. what the coloured flags mean, which areas are safe to over take etc.  If anything, it's all about the mind set in my opinion, as long as you're out there having a bit of fun and not trying to prove anything and more importantly trying to race anyone else (or even yourself by timing) then you should be good.  Keep your eyes on your mirrors/surroundings and if you see a car quickly approaching, just simply pull to one side, indicate and DO let off the gas so they can get past quickly without any problems (lots of people don't and this prolongs the overtaking process which can be dangerous when you run out of track).  I tend to do this even if they're slowly approaching you, once they're near and its convenient, I tend to let everyone pass, I'd rather not hold people up causing them to try and force an overtake (and course an accident), it only takes a moment and you then don't have to worry about anything else besides you driving again.

If you're passing, make sure you only pass on the straights and it's nice to give them a way or signal to say thanks but only if its convenient.  The issues usually come down to others not following this rule and holding others up, especially those with more power in the straights than you but then slow you right down in the corners.  Rather than getting livid (which to be honest I do), just calm down, ease off and then push on again, it's always more fun to play chase than to be in the way.

The rest is pretty much just down to driving within your own limits, don't push yourself too hard etc. (again that was my mistake recently at Croft, but that was for the TSS and I was gunning for a fast time, that's when most accidents can happen).

Besides helmets, make sure you're wearing long sleeves and full length trousers.  When you park up, try not to use the handbrake, just leave it in gear and turn the car off (pop our bonnet if it's particularly hot).  Make sure the car is empty of any loose bits.  Make sure your tow hook is in.  And that's about it that I can think off.

It's really not that scary of an experience, its a lot of fun but if you need put your mind at easy, I would consider trackday insurance if you can.  Hopefully see you out there again mate!

I think Keethos has covered everything but if you are really worried about crashing take out track insurance which is around £130ish which will cover the vast majority of your car in the event of a big crash.

Just be observant and you will be fine.

Keith said most of what I was in the middle of writing, but just a few more points to add.

Firstly, while accidents are rare, they happen, and in some scenarios it can be completely out of your control. Having accepted the fact that you could NOT afford to pay for repairs or replacement, I would perhaps suggest that you don't try and rush into things, just because you want to. There are plenty of ways you can get experience on track without risking your own car. So that would be my main advice, to maybe look for tuition or track days with rental cars, especially if you can find somewhere with an Elise, MX5 or GT86, to help you learn how to drive a RWD car.

Of course, you could just go ahead and take the risk like many others, and that's completely your decision. If you were to gain your experience at an event with the club, I would suggest asking someone with a bit more experience (Lauren, Ade, Kev or someone) to take you for a passenger lap, and maybe even join you in your car for a few laps. This isn't a replacement for tuition, although I would assume certainly Lauren could do a great job at that, but having someone who is on your level and helping you out of the goodness of their heart can be great. I did this at the Nurburgring. Asked a local Porsche driver for a passenger lap, then asked him to join me for my first 2 laps. By 5 laps of experience I ran a sub 10 minute BTG time in traffic.

Main point to take away, is as Keith said. Work within your own boundaries. Don't try and impress people, just do it to have fun and if you manage to improve, great.

Thanks for those replies chaps! A lot of good info there and I'll take it all on board! May even tag along for some spectating when your all at Bedford in December! B)

I'm hoping to do one of the MSV Track Academy tuition days at some point, mind you they are expensive. Around £500 depending on the circuit but it is a full days tuition, keep in mind the CAT day is £400 a time. See here for more info: MSV Track Academy

I've also spent 10 minutes in a BRZ at a Subaru event with Carolyn from Driver DP, who was a good instructor. She did say it's around £200 for a full day on track, depending on the track.

I'd still get track insurance, even when with an instructor.

Bare in mind I've not actually done a proper day with either of these, only because I'm broke at the moment :lol:

The best way is to book a track day and just book tuition for a good part, or all of the day, like Will said.  I would also add that you can't beat one-to-one tuition. Given you're in the NW and if you want someone really good, try; http://www.simonmason.com

An old friend of mine who lives in the Manchester area. 

Also I'd be very happy to help when I'm at the club trackdays, it's no problem. :)

I'd like to put blyton parks race accadamy forward.  Although the name says race it's for all abilities.  Myself and 2 friends took advantage of this. It's a full day with a maximum of 5 cars in atendance the whole day.  You get an instructor  (in my case mark hales classic car racer and le manns podium winner) who takes you through 20 mins class room theory and then straight out on track to put this into practice.

You have the choice of driving your own car or using a mk1 or new mk4 mx5 or both half day in the mx5 half in your own car.

Blyton park is an airfield so loads of space with little to hit.