Nicebiscuit

Guilty pleasures. What would you give up your GT86 for?

17 hours ago, Lauren said:

4C whilst having so much potential, never fulfilled it and is yet another flawed attempt at a sports car by Alfa Romeo unfortunately. Drive before you buy and all that. 

Just had a look at some reviews, and yeh, it sounds awful! I don't know how thy managed to screw that one up when it had all the ingredients to be great. Bunch of people who have forgotten how to make a sportscar.

Its one of the best looking cars I've ever seen though.

So, I'll have to change my mind again....to the lotus exige s.

17 hours ago, Lauren said: 4C whilst having so much potential, never fulfilled it and is yet another flawed attempt at a sports car by Alfa Romeo unfortunately. Drive before you buy and all that. 

Just had a look at some reviews, and yeh, it sounds awful! I don't know how thy managed to screw that one up when it had all the ingredients to be great. Bunch of people who have forgotten how to make a sportscar.

Its one of the best looking cars I've ever seen though.

So, I'll have to change my mind again....to the lotus exige s.

It's fairly typical of Alfa although the new Giulia promises otherwise.

The 4c didn't get the suspension changes for U.K. roads. Reviews loved it in Italy etc.

Thankfully, it's easily changed with some geo changes & for less than £200!

It really is a junior supercar though. Carbon tub & so on.

On 10/11/2016 at 4:27 PM, Bfranklyn86 said:

1.5 tons though...... I remember chris from dedication blog saying in his video that he thought the M4 felt quite heavy for track when compared to his 86 or R8. 

I wonder how much power you'd need from the FA20 to get to get the 86 to feel like its got as much punch as an m235i.

On 10/11/2016 at 4:36 PM, S18 RSG said:

"Feel" is all about torque. A twin turbo straight six will quite likely feel more punchy than a 2 litre 4 cylinder in 99% of cases. The M235i has 330lb/ft from stock. You're talking built engine and 10+psi of boost for that sort of torque from an FA20.

In terms of getting a GT86 up to that level of performance, I would wager a simple stage 1 turbo running 280-300bhp would be around the same sorta region, but would still be down almost 100lb/ft on torque.

On 10/11/2016 at 5:15 PM, Ade said:

Wheel torque is what you feel, so gearing comes into it. Also its more about torque curve. Those engines have more torque low down than up the top which makes them feel more pokey. Its one of the reason people thing the GT86 is under-powered compared to an eco boost fiesta ST.

On paper they are 321ps and weigh 1.5 tons so 214hp/ton.

A turbo gt86 is the same as that, but the BMWs are under rated for power and also torque curve as mentioned above. 

All the torques low down. Like pre 3500rpm 500 ftlb!

Bare in mind this is from my lightly fettle e82 135i tuned. On the old N54 twin turbo car. Back in the good days ;)

DSCF3436_zpsa08ef8aa.jpg

Excuse the noble 3r. I can assure this is the plot from my 135i. Lets say my mate with the noble was a little disappointed. (what do you expect from a car built in a shed) This inst as good as it got that plot is an off the shelf map. Once customer tuned it was producing over 420hp and 530ftlb reliably on 3 different dynos. It never went on a hub dyno they were all rolling roads.

What does this mean in real life. 255 section tyres spin up everywhere, in most gears. Gives over taking the personal touch when your on a dab of oppo looking in their drivers window.

Real world speed? This thing would see off 997 GT3s. I did get it handed to me my a 4.0RS once but I was fully laden. Dispatched a 430, 4 up. Kept to the coat tails of a R35 GTR from 60-160. Kept on going to GPS 175. I gave up before it did. (I am not cock (yes I did own a bmw :P) all of these back to back comparisons were carried out either on the track, or autobahn)

Corners yeh it was good for a road car. As a track car not so much, mine had the e90 m3 trick bits on and B12 suspension to make its more 1M not LSD though!

Give me the 86 for driving feel any day of the week.

18 minutes ago, Lauren said:

No LSD must have been a killer then!

It had a "good" Ediff. Which did a pretty good job on the road to be honest but get it on track and it did like to push understeer rather than steer with the throttle.

Well, given that MK1 Lotus Cortina's are selling for in excess of £50k, genuine two door GT's like mine are fetching about £18k - £20k, this one I've had since 1983, It's had one previous owner and has a genuine 65k miles on the clock and never been welded underneath' they are getting extremely rare now.

Edited by chelseablue
Added text

If it's a sensible no money involved; BMW M2 or Nissan GTR. 

If it's a straight swap then maybe the new MX5 or S2000 (both reasonably affordable to run). 

or maybe a Mustang... too many decisions. :wub: cars/motorbikes :wub: