Sign in to follow this  
nerdstrike

Consequences of impending nearby construction

A new block of apartments is going to be built just across from the house I rent. Necessarily this means abundant heavy machinery, earthmoving, construction crew, dust, rubble etc. I'm also rather terrified of my '86 getting dinged as the various machines manoeuvre their way around the narrow access road.

Does anyone have any tips to help keep my car safe and scratch free from the inevitable fallout?

I've considered a car cover, but I've heard of those doing more harm than good once something gets underneath them.

About all you can do is wash it regularly. A couple of years ago, my parking at work was next to a multi-storey that was being demolished. My car was covered in dust day after day, it was a nightmare. 

The most effective way to prevent the fallout from doing any harm to your paintwork is to simply hose off the dust as and when, unless the car is genuinely dirty then don't even bother washing it. Trying to pick it up with a wash mitt/sponge/cloth will just increase the risk of scratching your paint as that stuff will be really abrasive, let the water collect it up and drag it off for you. If your car has a good coating of wax/sealant which is pretty hydrophobic the dirty water will just fall off leaving the car clean anyway.

The thing I'd be worried about is the traffic, my 86 has been a victim twice due to idiotic drivers hitting it. The only way you are going to reduce the risk of your car getting dinged is to park it away from the area completely, or at least avoid being near any corners and tuck it as far off the road as you can.

22 hours ago, nikndel said:

A car cover will rub the paint off the tips of your rear wing unless it is secured tightly

I noticed this with my old Ford Capri (although as I'd had it resprayed and painted various parts myself that may have been part of the problem). The solution I used was to put a blanket under the car cover.