Keethos

Yellow Speed Racing Coilovers

24 minutes ago, MikeB said:

Separate compression and rebound adjustability is what I am used to from motorbike background where I used Ohlins / Ktech and have learnt the hard way with the GT as went down the wrong route with 'Litchfields Handling Kit'.

I understand it is not just down the spring rate but the damper and even the to oil weight etc. Which is why I wanted to start from scratch on a re-buildable damper which can be revalved to suit the spring rate.

I cannot adjust rebound/compression myself which is why I have EDFC Active with Street Advance which adjust both rebound/compression with the one rod. In the future I can upgrade to full system which can adjust rebound/compression separately.

Which is why you need to match everything together with tyres, brakes etc to get the benefit.

I think two way is nice if you want to fine tune for the track, but for the road a single (comp and rebound) is probably good enough if it is valved correctly. 

50 minutes ago, Ade said:

I think two way is nice if you want to fine tune for the track, but for the road a single (comp and rebound) is probably good enough if it is valved correctly.

Agreed, which is why I have gone for Street Advanced initially as I have a different driving style with using hand controls plus I have rods in my back. At some point I may want to change to a more advanced damper but at the moment I am just enjoying the car again and happy with how it feels.

I will hopefully be doing the last two rounds of the sprint championship and some track days over next few months.

Thanks everyone for their knowledge and insight, lots to take in.  Coming from a Clio with the Cup Pack, I'm quite used to a hard ride, even the current HSD's aren't as stiff but you can still definitely tell.  Does one need to pay for the Tein to change out the springs when ordering them?

2 minutes ago, Keethos said:

Thanks everyone for their knowledge and insight, lots to take in.  Coming from a Clio with the Cup Pack, I'm quite used to a hard ride, even the current HSD's aren't as stiff but you can still definitely tell.  Does one need to pay for the Tein to change out the springs when ordering them?

its worth contacting tein to see if they can swap them for free, otherwise you'll have to fork out about £150 for a pair. 

That's true Kev but that would only be for this year, Jeff has spoken to Adrian and they're contemplating changing that rule since it's a lil extreme compared to those who could potentially strip out the interior etc. but at the same time, not overly fussed, I've had some nice battles with Mike but it's never really been about the competition to be fair, it's great to win (well....2nd place anyways :P) but majority of the times, I'm there to improve myself more than anything else.

@Ade I found from trying different setups that running stiffer at the rear to the front helps if you like the rear end to move more. Part of the reason that Tein go for 6/6kg is so that the handling is easier in that respect tending towards initial understeer. This is the experience I have had from driving Keith's (Spec K's) and Dave (Pitman's) car which has the same setup as mine apart from a 6/6kg spring rate as opposed to my 5/6kg spring rate. 

My reasoning was that I wanted to be able to load the front under trail braking and help steer through the rear. So a 5/6kg setup is a bit more edgy but it depends upon what you prefer of course. It certainly works, so @Keethos you should consider these aspects before placing an order. Mike's setup is better than mine on the track, it really is impressive. He has the EDFC of course (using my settings). But I would say mine is a tad more compliant on the road and a little more comfortable as a result. 

@Ade I found from trying different setups that running stiffer at the rear to the front helps if you like the rear end to move more. Part of the reason that Tein go for 6/6kg is so that the handling is easier in that respect tending towards initial understeer. This is the experience I have had from driving Keith's (Spec K's) and Dave (Pitman's) car which has the same setup as mine apart from a 6/6kg spring rate as opposed to my 5/6kg spring rate. 

My reasoning was that I wanted to be able to load the front under trail braking and help steer through the rear. So a 5/6kg setup is a bit more edgy but it depends upon what you prefer of course. It certainly works, so @Keethos you should consider these aspects before placing an order. Mike's setup is better than mine on the track, it really is impressive. He has the EDFC of course (using my settings). But I would say mine is a tad more compliant on the road and a little more comfortable as a result. 

Using Dan's spread sheet the 5/6kg setup with the stock roll bars is somewhere in the middle of 6/6 and 6/7kg in terms for front to rear roll stiffness ratio. Dan and I were discussing that perhaps I should try a 6.5kg in the rear and see how it feels.

Food for thought....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hmmmm sadly Tein want £84 per pair of springs even upon ordering brand new :(  I've enquired around and Rich from RRG has ask.....why not go Flex A's but with stiffer springs?  After seeing Will's car driving slowly down the pit lane and seeing his wheels disappear into his arches (yeah he's quite low but I didn't think they'd move that much especially at low speeds) I've kinda dismissed the idea of Flex A's, but now I'm wondering if Flex A's with stiffer springs would be a good choice?  They've got the fancy hydraulic bump stops, according to the theory behind twin tube, they technically have more travel......so why not?

I would be surprised if they have more travel than the monosports. The flex a can go really low which means reduced damper travel.

I would be careful about going up in spring rate as I think these have a soft damping range as it is. You might find you cant get it stiff enough for critical damping at the track.

Go for the monosports mate you won't be sorry. Try them as they are and see how you feel? Can always purchase springs later on? You've got 9kg now but the monosports should be a better damper and give a better ride.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks Ade, that's what I'm thinking and willing to give it a go.  Regarding the travel, this is according to Tein themselves - https://www.tein.co.jp/e/special/ni_toryu/ because the mono tubes has the gas chamber inline with the piston, you loose a bit of travel where as the twin tube has the gas chamber between the two tubes technically allowing more travel.

Keith, I think you should base what you go on from experience, not how a car looks in the pitlane with balloon tyres on. I have no issues with travel with mine. A stiffer spring is not always the way to go. Mike has lower spring rates than your's but his was far, far better in every way. He easily has one of the best setups for track there from the cars I went in. 

3 hours ago, Ade said:

I would be careful about going up in spring rate as I think these have a soft damping range as it is. You might find you cant get it stiff enough for critical damping at the track.

They definitely do have soft damping - it was one of the things I found that I couldn't get them quite as stiff as I wanted on track. For stiffer springs I think they'd have to be fully revalved which would be pricey! 

14 hours ago, Deacon said:

They definitely do have soft damping - it was one of the things I found that I couldn't get them quite as stiff as I wanted on track. For stiffer springs I think they'd have to be fully revalved which would be pricey! 

I tend to run mine at the stiffer end of the settings.

17 minutes ago, Rich said:

I tend to run mine at the stiffer end of the settings.

On track I ran them one click from full stiff but still not as stiff as I'd have ideally liked. 

9 hours ago, Lauren said:

He's got 245/40's hasn't he? 

How does that make them Balloon tyres?  He's running bigger wheels with them.  And what difference does that make seeing them travel further into the arches than I would have imagined?  Also, turns out he had them of the softest setting.