Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Smith

Andys NA Mods.

I have had my standard 86 for 6 months and last week it went away to Tuning Developments for some upgrades. I have enjoyed every mile in my car and until I spent a day at Donington felt no need to change anything but that day at the track highlighted the lack of urgency and that torque dip we all hate.

After lots of reading up here I spoke to Mike at Tuning Developments with the remit of making the car a more lively drive while keeping exhaust volume down and we came up with this solution

TD Catless EL Manifold

TD Overpipe

K&N Panel Filter

DSS Aluminium Propshaft

Mfactory 4.67 Final Drive

ECUTeK Remap

TD Brake Kit

The transformation of the power delivery is amazing. Throttle response is instant and the car pulls strongly from nowhere to the red line with urgency. As shown in the dyno chart the manifold and overpipe work really well with the stock second cat and cat back and on the road you can really feel it in the seat with only slightly more volume from the exhaust.

I so pleased with how the mods have turned out and very happy that I chose Tuning Developments as their parts, attention to detail and customer service are second to none.

Cheers Andy 

scan0001.tif

It is a beautiful torque line and it feels fantastic on the road. the propshaft is very nearly half the weight of the standard which I am sure helps the motor spin up quicker. It would have been nice to have done these mods in increments as to feel the difference each part makes but it was logistically a pain to do so.

I stand to be corrected as I am not knowledgeable on these things but I think the FD will increase the amount of torque produced but it wont change the shape of the curve

2 hours ago, Deacon said:

Pretty much my next sets of mods you've just had done so I'll look forwards to your updates. I'm also considering a lightweight flywheel.

You will love these mods, its really been transformed in to a free reving beastie. It is louder inside due to the propshaft but I have soon got used to it. I was talked out of the flywheel due to it being quite a lot of work

3 minutes ago, Andrew Smith said:

You will love these mods, its really been transformed in to a free reving beastie. It is louder inside due to the propshaft but I have soon got used to it. I was talked out of the flywheel due to it being quite a lot of work

I have seen it suggested that it's a better mod to do with a clutch change so maybe I'll hold out on that part.

2 hours ago, knightryder said:

Surprised you went with the OP, seems to be the one part of the system that does virtually nothing to change power.

It was recomended and I thought it did help to give a bit more. What is best about it though is if you say overpipe in an authoritative voice it sound really cool

Well, 4.67 to 4.1 isn't a huge difference, maybe a foot pound here and there, but within error of the dyno. The lightened prop shaft might even have a bigger impact on the perceived power output. You can even see the shift in the bumps caused by the ratio change.

The flywheel has way more angular momentum, so a kilo off that will make a bigger difference, but you do have to mess with the clutch to be sure.

I had the diff bushes done at the same time as the final drive and I have lots of gear whine from the diff. It's not an offensive noise but it's definitely there. I doubt you'd hear it with a non stock exhaust though.

1 hour ago, nerdstrike said:

Well, 4.67 to 4.1 isn't a huge difference, maybe a foot pound here and there, but within error of the dyno.

14% isn't a small difference and definitely not within dyno error.

1 hour ago, Andrew Smith said:

It was recomended and I thought it did help to give a bit more. 

Previous findings found it to give, er, no gains at all. That was on a car where the rest of the system had already been changed.

The higher ratio final drive; obvious benefit is improved acceleration but the downsides would be higher revs cruising, lower fuel economy and reduced top end? Are there any figures to show these 'negatives' are noticeable or not worth worrying about? Or have I made a bad assumption anyway?

16 minutes ago, daidaiiro said:

The higher ratio final drive; obvious benefit is improved acceleration but the downsides would be higher revs cruising, lower fuel economy and reduced top end? Are there any figures to show these 'negatives' are noticeable or not worth worrying about? Or have I made a bad assumption anyway?

It's also worth considering long term goals with regards to shorter FDs. If you're planning on staying NA then weigh up the above,if you're planning on FI then you should take this into account as higher power will likely benefit from a lower ratio.

10 hours ago, Foulsmell said:

Based on 175 it's 24.5 torques. Definitely noticeable and definitely no dyno error.

Yeah, except that's not what the dyno chart shows. That would translate the whole line up a substantial amount more than it is. Perhaps it's corrected for gear ratio?

10 hours ago, Foulsmell said: Based on 175 it's 24.5 torques. Definitely noticeable and definitely no dyno error.

Yeah, except that's not what the dyno chart shows. That would translate the whole line up a substantial amount more than it is. Perhaps it's corrected for gear ratio?

I don't know for sure but I've seen gear ratios on some dynos so I'm sure Mike from TD can shed some light on it but it makes sense to just measure the engine output and not how it's multiplied by the FD and that's why it might not show on the plot.

5 minutes ago, Foulsmell said:

I don't know for sure but I've seen gear ratios on some dynos so I'm sure Mike from TD can shed some light on it but it makes sense to just measure the engine output and not how it's multiplied by the FD and that's why it might not show on the plot.

On the Dynapack you input the gear ratio, the dyno reads total torque but then divides by the ratio to give a standardized hub figure. Because it's a hub dyno it's easier to dyno in 5th (MT) or 4th (AT) where the gear ratio is 1:1 than a rolling road type.

At the end of the day, the dyno measures wheel/hub torque on any type. The rest is all calculated.

Just a couple of things I have noticed is that I have lost 15-20 miles range out of a full tank, I am getting nearly 27mpg calculated at the pump, the on board reads 32.

In regard to the FD and cruising speed in 6th gear, 3000rpm is 64mph, 3500rpm is 74mph