Deacon

Official 86 / Brz 2017 update details

4 minutes ago, Ade said:

Lauren where and from who did you hear that?

There's quite a lot of info about the Mountune ST on the web.

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

But who keeps the stock wheels really? 

Me

I was referring to the bit about Cosworth trying to get factory approval of their stage 2 kit.

I'm pretty sure that was their motivation in the first place... I read it somewhere too. And they had worked with Subaru previously...

I know there's alot of speculation going round but I wondered if Lauren had spoken to a Cosworth official or something.

The CS400 was a whole different beast as it was a limited run of cars built by Cosworth technicians. at the Cosowrth factory in Northampton

2 hours ago, Nicebiscuit said:

Actually I don't care if they do a factory option - just endorsing and warranting something like the Cosworth set up would do. Like Ford do with Mountune. The Cossie kit is not the cheapest, but if it didn't affect the warranty... TAKE MY MONEY

They won't factory approve the Cosworth version. It will never happen. Cosworth have already tried. The Mountune kit on the Fiesta ST is just a mild upgrade to a car already with a turbo. The Cosworth SC is quite different in this respect, I would expect that's why. 

I doubt they will either as they'd have done it by now - but not sure I understand the logic. With Subaru in particular there were a whole series of quite extreme factory sanctioned tweaks over the years with the Impreza.

Unless, of course Toyota have tested forced induction on FA20 units and found that the engines weren't up to it... You never know... :-/

Pretty sure it was from Adrian, but that was some time ago. I did spend some time with Matt from Cosworth too. It was what they were really angling for, but it didn't happen. I wouldn't expect that to change. 

I think it's pretty much always the case that people say they don't like the look of mid-life changes until they get used to them.

Agreed, never really like the look of the previous Clio 200 from the release pics but I liked it in the flesh and brought one in the end.

Ade, are you questioning what Lauren said regarding Cosworth trying to get Toyota's approval or that they weren't able to?

Yes I know alot of people have speculated about factory approval but all I think they wanted was to be able to offer an engine warrenty without Toyota blaming every warrently clain on the sc kit. For example if the alternator packs up who will pay for it Cosowrth or Toyota? Toyota might argue the new belt drive mechanism is what caused the failure. I suspect this would make it difficult to offer a warranty.

As others have said the mountune stuff is quite mild. Usually upping boost and improving exhaust and intercoolers.

An sc kit that adds +50% is a whole other ball park.

Id have thought they'd have made it happen in another country if that was their intension.

1 hour ago, Deacon said:

Pretty sure Cosworth said about seeking manufacturer approval at the open day a lot of us went to a couple of years back.

Yep, but they didn't get it. 

41 minutes ago, Squadrone Rosso said:

The steering mounted audio controls would be a welcome addition.

Is that a slusher? Shame they didn't fit TCT/DSG.

it is indeed

Other than a new front bumper, front and rear "after-market" lights and a BRZ style wing vent, it all looks very familiar. Bit too much "bling" in my opinion and don't particularly like the placement of the the daylight running lights and the indicators in the main front light unit. Quite like the styling of the diffuser insert in the rear bumper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cosworth didn't get approval because the Supercharger sat to high and too close to the bonnet. A pedestrian impact onto the bonnet, on a stock car requires a certain distance of crumple zone to pass all the regulations. By putting the Cosworth supercharger so close to the bonnet removes this crumple zone, therefore not passing regulations out the factory.

A pedestrians scull smashing into the Cosworth supercharger was considered unsafe. :( 

New version looks interesting, not sure I like the front end. And what happened to wanting to keep the car a purists drivers car and keeping all controls off the steering wheel?!

51 minutes ago, Mike said:

Wonder if the rear lights will be a straight swap for current models... then again, how much would they cost...

Don't see why not. None of the panels appear to have changed. Same with the front.

I can only find prices online for the current one in Euros.... 272 + Taxes.... per side

11 hours ago, Squadrone Rosso said:

The steering mounted audio controls would be a welcome addition.

Yes, I miss these. Have to wonder though whether they will come to the UK models, particularly the BRZ. The head unit in the BRZ is utter crap and I assume once changed, the steering controls can't be configured for any replacement system.

9 minutes ago, Willtl said:

Yes, I miss these. Have to wonder though whether they will come to the UK models, particularly the BRZ. The head unit in the BRZ is utter crap and I assume once changed, the steering controls can't be configured for any replacement system.

Probably depends on car / head unit but the after market one I had in my corsa still kept the steering controls working

Hmm... the mid-life refresh often brings with it a bunch of changes under the skin where they're addressing emerging points of failure. Don't be shocked if there are a few incompatible or different bits inside.

1 hour ago, GT86Jay said:

Cosworth didn't get approval because the Supercharger sat to high and too close to the bonnet. A pedestrian impact onto the bonnet, on a stock car requires a certain distance of crumple zone to pass all the regulations. By putting the Cosworth supercharger so close to the bonnet removes this crumple zone, therefore not passing regulations out the factory.

A pedestrians scull smashing into the Cosworth supercharger was considered unsafe. :( 

New version looks interesting, not sure I like the front end. And what happened to wanting to keep the car a purists drivers car and keeping all controls off the steering wheel?!

Cheers Jay that more the sort of info I was after.  I'll try to avoid the temptation to put my foot down when I see a chav cross the road. 

I find it mildly annoying not having steering wheel controls, but I think i'd find it very annoying having them. 

Few more details popping up on Facebook. Apparently the power steering has been reprogrammed and there are changes to spot welds and material thicknesses in the chassis.

Wonder why they tweaked the steering? That's one bit that needed absolutely nothing, in my view. Feels like a decent hydraulic set up, which is quite something for an electric system.

If they were looking for marginal improvements, I'd have started with the baulky gear change and slightly on/off throttle response...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk