TRDness

Ajay's HKS Supercharged GT86 TRD Build

Hi everyone. I’ve decided to make a build thread of my 2013 GT86 TRD edition, a lot of work has already been done to it so I thought I’d share its progress so far. The GT86 TRD is a special edition in the UK and 250 were made for the country, it comes with the Japanese TRD body kit, TRD TF6 wheels, and a variety of other TRD upgrades. I have built the car to be TRD themed visually but it also has a lot of other quality aftermarket parts where you can’t see! I’m based in the UK where car modification to this type of car is less popular than in the USA due to insurance costs and the general fact that parts are more expensive to source due to tax, but that doesn’t put me off! I have spent the last year modifying the car in preparation for track use and forced induction, and it is nearly complete.

The next thing on the list for this car is to be HKS V2 supercharged. Now I’ve been through a lot of ups and downs with this and the whole turbo vs supercharger thing, and also which type of supercharger to go for. I chose the HKS centrifugal supercharger for a variety of reasons, reliability and simplicity being the top factor as my car is my daily driver and the last thing I want is a blown rod on the way to work. Centrifugals don’t make a lot of boost down low in the RPM range, which is when the rods are vulnerable, and I don’t want the mechanical complexities that come with turbo’s, so centrifugal is the way for me. I am very aware of its pros and cons compared to other methods of forced induction. My target is 300whp on 99 octane (93/94 for Americans) and I’ll also look into the prospect of forging the engine, changing the fuel pump and injectors and taking it up to 400whp in the future, which is about the limit of what the HKS supercharger can do.

Factory features in addition to the regular GT86 UK Spec:

TRD Quad Exhaust and Diffuser
TRD Rear Bumper
TRD Side Skirts
TRD Front Splitter
TRD Fuel Cap
TRD Shift Knob
TRD Radiator Cap
TRD TF6 Styling Wheels 18X7.5 +46
Yokohama Advan Sport V105 Tyres 225/40/18

Current Mods:

Wheels:
Yokohama Advan GT Forged 18X9.5 + 40 in Machining Hyper Black all around
Yokohama Advan Sport V105 Tyres 255/35/18 all around
Camber, Caster and Toe Specs: -2 Degrees Front, 0 Toe. -1.5 Degrees Rear, 0 Toe. Factory Caster

Suspension and Chassis:
TRD 40-Way Damping Adjustable Coilovers with Optional Racing Springs, Bump Stops and Pillow-ball Camber-Adjustable Top Mounts.
Spring Rates – Front: 49.5 N/mm, Rear: 72 N/mm
TRD Front Strut Brace
Cusco Rear Carbon Fibre Strut Brace
Summit S-Wave Rear Lower Adjustable Camber Control Arms
TRD Transmission Mount
TRD Differential Mounts LH and RH

Braking:
TRD Monoblock Brake Kit (Produced by Brembo) – 6 Piston Front with 355mm Slotted Rotors, 4 Piston Rear with 345mm Slotted Rotors
TRD Brake Lines
Brembo Racing Brake Pads
Motul RBF 600 Dot 4 Performance Racing Brake Fluid

Engine, Transmission and Exhaust:
HKS Version 2 Supercharger 41mm Restrictor
AVO Oil Cooler
Charge Air Temperature Sensor
ACS Xtreme HD Stage 1 Organic Clutch
Motul Gear 300 75W-90 Synthetic Racing Gear and Differential Oil
HKS Super Hybrid Drop-In Air Filter
TRD Sports Oil Filter
TRD Oil Filler Cap
TRD Radiator Cap
TRD Fuel Cap
TRD Engine Mounts LH and RH
HKS Equal Length 4-2-1 Exhaust Manifold (Header)
Milltek Overpipe
TRD Quad Exhaust with TRD rear Diffuser
Berk Front Pipe with 200-cell High Flow Cat
RaceSeng Cam Plate
Fensport Lightweight Crankshaft Pulley – Harmonically Balanced

Outer Body:
TRD Rear Trunk Spoiler and Side Spoilers
TRD Side Skirts
TRD Rear Bumper
TRD Front Splitter
TRD Shark Fin Aerial
TRD Fender Extensions
TRD Chrome Rear Badge
LED Licence Plate Lights
TOM’S Red Tail Lights
Valenti Red Rear Bumper Light
Import Licence Plate with Custom Registration

Interior:
TRD Gauges – Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature, Water Temperature
Blitz Racing Meter Panel Black
P3 Cars Vent-Mounted Multi Gauge
TRD Momo Steering Wheel
OEM Toyota Arm Rest
TRD Push-Start Button
TRD Shift Knob
Carbon Fibre Wrapped Interior Panels
LED Dome Light

Dealer fixed the following under warranty:
Leaking Noisy Window Seals – replaced seals and adjusted windows
Poor Battery Life – upgraded from 30ah battery to new more powerful 45ah battery
Locking Wheel Nut Key Sheared – removed and replaced locking wheel nuts and refurbished TRD wheels damaged in process
Poor down-shift into 2nd gear when car is cold – replaced and adjusted shift plate

Any questions/comments? Post below! I'm happy to help with technical questions on the parts I've used.

86_0021.JPGIMG_4147.JPGIMG_4143.JPGIMG_4150.JPGIMG_4152.JPGIMG_4154.JPGIMG_4155.JPGIMG_4160.JPGIMG_4161.JPGIMG_4162.JPGIMG_3778.JPGIMG_3779.JPGIMG_3784.JPGIMG_3852.JPGIMG_3877.JPGIMG_3878.JPGIMG_3886.JPGIMG_4157.JPGIMG_9629.JPGIMG_3915.JPG

IMG_0589.JPGattachment.php?attachmentid=135532&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=135533&stc=1

Most definitely not! I think if you buy it half-hearted and cheap you always end up replacing it/regretting it anyway! Trust me I've been there with previous cars...

Thanks a lot.

Cracking job, one hell of a car.

*edit*

Just saw this bit - " Poor down-shift into 2nd gear when car is cold – replaced and adjusted shift plate"

How easy was it to get them to do that? If it was an easy discussion I'll take mine in for it, the shift from 3rd-2nd when cold is atrocious.

Cheers Canary, it was pretty straightforward. I just took it in, explained the issue and they said they'd keep the car for a few hours to test it against an 86 that they had in their stock. They gave me a courtesy car in the meantime. Strangely enough their feedback was that the shift was identical to the other car (well, duh of course it would be if it's a model-wide issue) but they carried out the work anyway as they have a company wide bulletin that has identified the issue. I doubt you'll have any problems as all they need to do is look it up on their system and see the bulletin.

*edit*

After the work the shifting in general is much smoother but the downshift into second is still not amazing, I used to be blocked out of the gear completely without properly forcing it, so haven't been back since as i can live with it now.

Edited by TRDness

Wow top work and top commitment to top draw parts. There seems to be quite a difference between front and rear spring rates, making the fronts seem pretty low on spring rates, 5kg front and 7.34kg rear. It's interesting because most run 6/6kg and I run 5/6kg. I would guess that your setup makes the car quite pointy, how do you find it? 

240bhp on a remap, I see you have a manifold as well, but that seems pretty high to what most seem to achieve. Was that on the rolling road? I still can't make my mind up as to whether a remap is worth it. I know others with a very similar spec to your's are seeing as high as 218bhp, but not 240bhp. 

Cheers guys. The car certainly feels pointy without a shadow of a doubt, the lower spring rate at the front also gives it really good grip over bumps and the like. Understeer is very rarely seen unless the roads are rediculously wet. I guess that was TRD's intention as they offer 3 different racing spring sets and they are all split front/rear in a similar fashion, just with higher spring rates still (i have the set with the lowest spring rates). I would say at the limits the car is very balanced and twitches easily into oversteer with a small burst of throttle. I was running TRD TF6 wheels with 225 tyres and the car would oversteer simply with a yank of the steering wheel into the turn, now I have the Advan GT's with 255's and the grip feels like it's all but endless but you can still oversteer with throttle input.

With regards to the remap I haven't had it dyno-tested. It was done over a year ago and if i'm honest the 240hp figure was what i thought i was told by fensport when it was done, so I could be wrong with that. You're probably right with it being around the 218 mark, i'll edit the thread. I would say though that it changes the car a hell of a lot - i recently had to reflash it back to stock to change the exhaust over to stock and get it through its first MOT, and after driving it for a few days I swapped it over again and re-flashed the remap, it felt hugely different! The low-end torque increases very noticeably, the mid range is more powerful but less noticeably, and the top end you can really feel the power increase. I would recommend it and say it's definitely worth the money!

Car looks awesome! TRD's definitely look best in white

I've only just started to modify mine so I'd be interested to hear what you think of the mods, any you recommend or any that the gains weren't that noticeable.

Thanks all.

44 minutes ago, bassett said:

Car looks awesome! TRD's definitely look best in white

I've only just started to modify mine so I'd be interested to hear what you think of the mods, any you recommend or any that the gains weren't that noticeable.

Let me know what you've done so far basset, I'd be interested to hear. I'd also like to know what you're looking at wanting to mod? or what your goals are?

It has a redesigned pulley (similar to V1) as they apparantly snap easily due to being held on with one bolt on the V2 as opposed to a few more on the V1. It also has no restrictor. I wasn't aware that it's not coming here? They've dropped the UK price on the V2 for the impending arrival of the V3? I could be wrong.