rob275

My Lock Palava!

Hi All, 

Most of you are probably aware that I had this issue as I asked some questions on facebook as it was completely and utterly weird! But I came back from a week away on a Stag doo and went out to my car Sunday afternoon and my car wouldn't open. I didn't think much of it at first as I noticed the battery in the fob was dead. So I went in and got my spare key out the safe which had some juice and that didn't open the car either.

It was at this point I realised the battery was dead! Knowing that I was in safe hands knowing there was always the trusty ol' backup key I put it in the lock and turned it. Indeed it turned but did it feck unlock the door. So i'm sitting there thinking what am I doing wrong? How hard can it be to turn a key. Clearly it's a fiddly old thing but didn't think it'd be that hard.... After being told it is quite stiff by a few people I decided to attach a pair of pliers to the end of it, I forced it so much that the plastic bit on the end broke off...

At this point i'm in a bit of a sticky situation, I had insured my car on the Saturday and although I opted for breakdown cover (luckily I done this as I didn't last time and don't have the Toyota cover), I had none of my documents through yet. As such I didn't have a number to call for breakdown.

So Monday morning I first give Toyota a ring, bloke on the end of the phone states the obvious that the lock should work (No shit sherlock, that's what it's there for) I arrange to drop my car off if the recovery bloke can't get in to it. Monday evening recovery turn up and he fails to get in to my car. So he books a low loader for the following day as they only have one and it currently is booked out to drop a Porsche off, plus it was late anyway and it wasn't going to speed anything up getting it recovered that night. 

Tuesday lunch, we arrive at Motorline Toyota Gatwick after scraping the car along my driveway (literally) when upon initial inspection they were rather baffled by the looks on their faces as surprise surprise the key definitely done nothing. On Wednesday afternoon I get a phone call saying they've got in to it and have tested the battery which was indeed faulty and they replaced it FOC under warranty. They have however refused to replace my window under warranty despite it having a big scratch down it. But that's fine, i'll just issue a complaint shortly because it was only replaced a year ago.

They wanted to keep the car an extra day to do some further tests on it and I get a call saying it's good to pick up. At this point i'm pretty much leaving the house to go get it and I get another phone call saying that the lock is broken and to not come. Unsure what they had been doing all day as I though that was what they were checking! So I then had to wait until Monday to pick it up. What was broken on the lock? The actuator apparently, now i'm no scientist but it doesn't take an idiot to work out an actuator requires energy to work, be that electric, pneumatic or fluid. So how was said lock meant to work without the battery dead? I can only see it being an electronic actuator myself! Unless the barrel was also broken as I heard this initially from them also. But the warranty sheet doesn't have any mention of either the actuator or barrel so i'm pretty much none the wiser on this front.

Anyway it was a long week of struggles but it is indeed sorted (for the most part) For some reason my boot currently has a mind of its own and keeps unlocking itself. I'm also going to disconnect the battery and try to unlock the car as i'm not convinced it's going to work.. Currently with the battery connected I literally turn the key to the right and you can hear the actuator kick in and unlock the car, the same way the fob does.

Oh they've also managed to rip my stripe on the side of my car whilst cleaning the car, not that arsed as it only cost me £30 but an apology would have been nice!

Here are some fail pics... :) 

56cc5ee7e6573_keylol.thumb.jpg.7322f2697

IMG_20160216_135622.thumb.jpg.086ffea62a

IMG_20160216_135628.thumb.jpg.88b0753a35

IMG_20160216_135647.thumb.jpg.85c1445604

IMG_20160216_144506.thumb.jpg.e9cb97cbea

I would be interested to see what happens if you disconnect the battery like you mention. Is the Gatwick deal one to avoid from what you say?

Also where is your tow hook from, i like it!

Just now, Rich196 said:

I would be interested to see what happens if you disconnect the battery like you mention. Is the Gatwick deal one to avoid from what you say?

Also where is your tow hook from, i like it!

I wouldn't say it's a dealer to avoid, they are actually helpful. Technically I may have broken the lock myself by forcing it but they replaced that FOC also. The only reason the window wasn't replaced was because some bonehead was in on that day from the warranty team and she refused it on the spot. As for the sticker, mistakes happen and if I spoke to them i'm sure they would reimburse. But for the sake of the £5 it's going to cost me to get re-done i'm not fussed :) They preemptively ordered the battery and window so I can't complain!

@nikndel I'm going to hazard a guess that they took the window seal off and pulled the latch with some wire. The recovery guy didn't do this, but he rocked up late and seemed like he just wanted to get home tbh. Currently I think it still requires an electrical current yes... But I need to do some further tests which I will do on the weekend..

4 minutes ago, rob275 said:

@nikndel I'm going to hazard a guess that they took the window deal off and pulled the latch with some wire. The recovery guy didn't do this, but he rocked up late and seemed like he just wanted to get home tbh. Currently I think it still requires an electrical current yes... But I need to do some further tests which I will do on the weekend..

Is that seal Rob?

I had completely dead battery once (not it's fault but mine, forgetting interior light on). I was able to unlock door with mechanical key, so unless there is something very changed for cars @UK locks/security wise, imho so should they.

Wow Rob what a feckin Pelava!

I can confirm on a number of occasions my battery has gone completely flat (at least 10 times I reckon - need to get my battery replaced really) and I've been able to get in with the key no problem. There is a mechanism to release the lock.

10 minutes ago, chillismoke said:

You let them wash your car!

Yes, you'll laugh at the pre inspection sheet. They are meant to check the car for dents/scratches. It just says "Too dirty to inspect" lol. It needs detailing anyway after it was painted so not too fussed. Plus the bumper needs remoulding 

Hi everyone. My car has been standing for about 3 weeks. Thought I'd better start her up and guess what! Dead battery and unable to unlock car with emergency keys (either of them). Rang dealer and advised that key WILL be stiff as need to turn locking mechanism. I then managed to mirror Rob and break plastic part of key. I do have Toyota (AA) cover and they are coming to my house Friday morning. My dealer saidto get car over to them and they will sort it out and more than likely change battery. Just hope AA can get car open! Will update on solution to problem, if there is one.

I've flattened the battery twice in two weeks leaving boot open and also an interior light on so flat as a pancake.  Both times I've been able to unlock using the emergency key in the lock.  It's stiff but does work.  I had to attach a key ring to the emergency key to help with turning it as it was stiff and gave something larger to twist but it worked on both occasions.   I could then pop the bonnet and jump start it.

13 hours ago, rob275 said:

I think @Riceburner had one that he managed to get the door open. Cant remember what he done now. Shame you've had a similar scenario!

I don't think it's appropriate to openly broadcast on a public forum how easy it is to get into our cars without the key but if anyone wants to know PM me 

It took us 5 mins 😀without breaking anything 😉

13 hours ago, rob275 said: I think @Riceburner had one that he managed to get the door open. Cant remember what he done now. Shame you've had a similar scenario!

I don't think it's appropriate to openly broadcast on a public forum how easy it is to get into our cars without the key but if anyone wants to know PM me 

It took us 5 mins without breaking anything

Did you have a misspent youth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk