Andrew Smith

Hello from Derbyshire

Hi all, I have been lurking for quite long enough and thought it was high time I came out.

I inadvertently bought my 86 at the beginning of November when I was looking for a cheap MX5 as a winter hack to replace my motorbike during the winter months. I took a test drive in one and the rest is history.

As far as mods go I have put some yellow stuff pads in and re shod with Contis as I have and will be doing track days. So far twice at Mallory and once, last weekend at Donington. Donington was the first time I have felt a need for a little  more power so I am going to start thinking about that.

This place is a very informative and friendly forum and I look forward to enjoying all things FA20 with you all

Cheers AndyIMG_0967.thumb.JPG.29f18e400e522fd8b10cf

Rob, he said it was a friendly forum and the first thing you do is call him a "worm". Ffs Feckin southern charm 😁

Welcome to the club Andrew, you'll soon get used to our southern cousins 😱

And where in Derbyshire are you? I'm just over the hills in Stoke

Bloomin eck, I only popped in to say how do and the north/south divide has bost rate open ☺.

TSS sounds like my idea of fun Rob, I shall have a look at the rounds later in the year.

I am in Ashbourne Mark and as Nicebiscuit says, it is a terrible area to be owning an 86 what with those North Derbyshire passes and twisties and not forgetting easy access to great tracks. Its a tough old life

Talking my language there me owd, "bost rate open" lol, and yes it is a chore living so close to the peak district, was playing around manifold valley last week and loving it.we visit Ashbourne quite a bit always on our route to somewhere and grab a sandwich from the shop by the side of the triangular car park.

Welcome aboard. Hopefully we'll get things moving a little in the NW which is not that far from you. Could always organise a drive out in the Peaks, I'm sure a load of us would be up for that. :)

1 hour ago, Mark-in-Stoke said:

Rich, There are some awesome roads, myself, Deacon and partners are having a blast over there at Easter for the day taking in Manifold Valley, Longnor, Hartington and Bakewell then Buxton then up and over the cat n fiddle  

Any provisional dates on that? May tag along if you don't mind :P 

1 hour ago, Mark-in-Stoke said:

Rich, There are some awesome roads, myself, Deacon and partners are having a blast over there at Easter for the day taking in Manifold Valley, Longnor, Hartington and Bakewell then Buxton then up and over the cat n fiddle  

Post it up when you have a date. Cat and Fiddle is best on the downhill though if you can work the route the other way.

Thanks Keethos, I must admit that I haven't really been a car guy until I got the 86 but this thing just makes me smile every time I get in it :) . I have recently bought a Scorpion cat back that I have yet to bolt on, just need a free spot in my diary to line up with a dry day and I can get that done. Really resisting the urge to blow some cash on some go faster goodies, I will no doubt break at some point ££££. Not sure about showing it as the paint has more chips than Harry Ramsden  but you never know

1 hour ago, Andrew Smith said:

Thanks Keethos, I must admit that I haven't really been a car guy until I got the 86 but this thing just makes me smile every time I get in it :) . I have recently bought a Scorpion cat back that I have yet to bolt on, just need a free spot in my diary to line up with a dry day and I can get that done. Really resisting the urge to blow some cash on some go faster goodies, I will no doubt break at some point ££££. Not sure about showing it as the paint has more chips than Harry Ramsden  but you never know

Don't worry about showing it Andrew if you come to our events you park with the rest of us👍

Thanks Will, I was looking for a cheap 1-2K MX5 as a cheap, fun winter hack but everything I looked at was rotten and then just one test drive, just for the hell of it, and I was smitten. Never had so much fun in a car, well not since my teens ;)

My last car was £1500. :-D. Agree though - this car is a bargain for what it is. I wasn't intending to spend so much either but was worth it. Proper sportscar for the price of a diesel Qashqai. What's not to like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome Andrew.

I actually went down the complete opposite path to you. I was at cars upwards of 350bhp with V8s, meaning I looked at a BMW M3, C63 AMG, Lexus ISF, Maserati Gransport and a load of others. The end result was the same though. Curiosity meant I took a test drive in the GT86 and it made everything else I test drove feel like a massive, heavy rep mobile, in comparison to this light, agile sports car, and I had to buy it.