Deacon

Wheel and tyre weights

I weighed the various wheels and tyres I have when changing to the winter wheels and tyres so thought I'd post them up as they may be useful to someone else too.

Stock wheels (17x7 et48) are 9.1kg 

Fox FX005 wheel (17x7.5 et35) are 7.4kg

Konig Daylite wheels (17x7 et40) are 7kg

Federal 595RS-R's in 215/45/17 are 10.1kg

Nokian WRA3's in 215/45/17 are 8.7kg

They definitely are not forged - they're cast like the stock wheels.

When I was doing my research they mostly seemed to be popping up on VAG's - Golfs, Octavias and Leons - plenty of which were used on track and I couldn't find any reports of failures on road or track so I was / am quite happy to give them a try on the far lighter 86.

No issue with running them on track, the road is typically nice and smooth!

It's those huge potholes that reshape your spine as you go over them I'm worried about. I'd expect them to crack fairly easily but I'm hoping they don't of course!

Proper forged wheels are earth shatteringly expensive and overkill unless you are racing IMO. OZ superforgiata are a cool £5k.

I share Smudges worries about cheap light wheels but I have zero actual data to back it up. Looks like Deacon has done the reasearch and they are okay.

Are they as strong as Wedssports TC105N (not fully forged, just flow formed BTW) no, probably not but they cost £1600 for 4 wheels!

I'd love to see some test data from a variety of rims to see the differences.

Proper forged wheels are earth shatteringly expensive and overkill unless you are racing IMO. OZ superforgiata are a cool £5k.

I share Smudges worries about cheap light wheels but I have zero actual data to back it up. Looks like Deacon has done the reasearch and they are okay.

Are they as strong as Wedssports TC105N (not fully forged, just flow formed BTW) no, probably not but they cost £1600 for 4 wheels!

I'd love to see some test data from a variety of rims to see the differences.

Good thing I got my WedsSports for less then ;)

No issue with running them on track, the road is typically nice and smooth!

It's those huge potholes that reshape your spine as you go over them I'm worried about. I'd expect them to crack fairly easily but I'm hoping they don't of course!

Which is why I said I can't find any reports of failures on track or road.

Fair enough, but the point is the better, but still not forged, wheels are alot more money and we dont even know if they are actually stronger. I am sure they are but we dont have data to prove it.

Alot of poeple are tempted away from the Weds Sport TC105N (one of my fav wheel BTW) by the Rota Titans for half the money.

It's one of those things we just don't know, but what we do know is that forged wheels are a lot stronger. There used to be a big thing about Rota's failing, but I've got tbh and say that I've not heard of any recent failings. 

OZ Utlralights are cast aren't they? Light ish though. 

My Rays without the powdercoat in the same size are 7.2kg. But obviously these are forged. 

The OZ HLTs are flow rolled like the Weds sports I believe. Its a good compromise in terms of weight vs costs. Most of the OZ in the £1-£1.3k region are 7-9Kg for a 17x8 wheel.

The Forgiata are just under 7.3kg for a forged 18x8.5

Need to think what you are going to use them for, I have 18x9.5 rims and I fitted 255/35/18 Yokohama V105's on them. At this weekends TSS I just could not get heat into them on a single lap, so not an ideal sprinting setup. I did have other isues with power loss but not anything that would effect the amount of work I gave the tyres. 

Back to 235's for me I think and probably a different tyre also, maybe some narrower rims for sprinting if I do it next year.

The go to cheapish lightweight wheel is the Team Dynamics pro race 1.2. Again you see the odd failure but they seem reasonably resilient.

Interestingly BBS do a similar style wheel to those FOXs around the same sort of price. Cast again I'm sure, but presumably not utter rubbish.

why a different tyre @KevinA, weren't the v105s any good for sprinting?

To be honest I think tyres are very much suited to driving styles, I did not like the feedback during the transition of slides and change of direction. For me the Conti 5's feel better, I will destroy the Advans on track days.

Kev's problem is that he fitted too big fat tyres. I was on it with mine in stock sizes. He couldn't get the heat into his huge tyres, but I had no problem. ;)

So I'd say the V105's are perfectly good enough for sprinting and will take the track abuse better than the Conti's. Kev's going to fit some skinny tyres for next year I think! :P

But she has been using them previously with much success. I still have mixed feelings about them, sometimes they feel like they've got plenty of grip even in the wet, sometimes they feel like they have absolutely no grip what so ever but they are relatively predictable and consistant once they've warmed up....just don't expect mega grip all the way through a corner.

Let's also not forget that a lot of these failures that get reported on cheaper wheels is also down to the quantity, because they're so cheap, a hell of a lot more are sold so you'll get more failures because of that and obviously more people willing to moan about it over the Internet, not enough people who have brought cheap wheels, driven them hard on bumpy roads and track have shouted about how awesome they are, it's usually people who have issues are the people who get heard.

The Primacy's are fine really, though they lack progression and to a point feel. They are fine on a trackday though as when they overheat, they remain consistent and you can abuse them all day and they still seem to last forever. Yes, I've won sprints on Primacy tyres in OEM sizes. 

However the Yokos have better progression. 

I think failures on any wheels is a cause for concern whether they are sold in large quantities or not!