I got the chance to have an extended test drive in a new 1.5 MX5 yesterday so thought I'd share a few thoughts:-

Looks

I really like the looks - it looked better in real life from any angle than the pictures I'd seen. Not much else to say on this as it's a very subjective thing.

Interior

I liked it a lot. The quality felt far better than I expected. The controls are all logically placed and come to hand easily. But there were some things I wasn't so keen on. The steering wheel is nice but not as good as the 86's. Same for the seats which I didn't feel were bolstered enough. The seats also don't have a height adjustment. They are on a sliding 'ramp' so the closer to the wheel you have the seat the higher it goes. I'd have liked to have the seat lower as I felt there was too much wind buffeting above the windscreen frame. The speedo is also small and marked in 20mph increments so not useful for 30mph. A digital display as in the 86 would be much better.

Engine

I drove the 1.5 as I wanted to see if it was 'enough'. I think it's a very good engine. It was very smooth and revs willingly. I found that I kept it mostly in 3rd and 4th with the revs between 4 and 5.5k for 'normal' driving. This returned 33.9 mpg over the 37 mile test route including lots of trips to the red line. The 1.5 is lacking in grunt though but I kind of enjoyed being able to use full throttle literally all the time without fear that prison was just around the corner! It's definitely a momentum car though and no dragster.

Handling

This is where it really shined for me. The ride is very supple on the 1.5 - I was genuinely amazed by how comfortable it was and how well it soaked up bumps and road imperfections. Driving on 'real roads' I can see that the 1.5 without the stiffer Bilstein's and the larger wheels would be the one to have. There is a lot of body roll but at no detriment to the handling. The 86 rolls far less (especially with the mods I have) but I drove some of the same roads after I'd driven the 1.5 and felt it was easier to drive faster in the 1.5 than the 86 due to the sheer compliancy of the suspension. On the test route there was an uphill duel carriageway section which had a sharp bend 30mph sign. As I came to the end of the straight bit I was doing, ahem, 60mph (officer) but as I'd driven about 25 miles in the 1.5 already I thought I'm pretty sure I don't need to slow for this and can carry the same speed. And I could. We left all the 'normal' cars for dead as they needed to slow down for this tightening bend. This really summed the 1.5 up for me and solidified my view that it's definitely a momentum car. On a normal B road, once it's up to speed, not much would shake it off!

Gearshift

In a word - brilliant. A cliché but a true example of a rifle bolt like shift. The gear knob is a perfect size and also perfectly placed.

Brakes

Tough one to comment on really as you don't need to use them much! The brakes seemed good and more than adequate for the weight the car carries (975kg).

Overall

I went because it was free and thought it'd be fun with absolutely no intention that I'd be interested in buying one. I've left seriously considering putting the 86 up for sale.

And a few pictures:-

20150815_085704_Hagrid_Clean.jpg

20150815_085716_Harry_Clean.jpg

20150815_091236_Harry_Clean.jpg

20150815_085739_Hagrid.jpg

20150815_085652_Hagrid_Clean.jpg

I love that car, especially in white. It is crying out for bigger wheels and tyres purely from the bling angle, and no, the 1500 is not suitable for a petrol head Jeff. Get the 2 litre. If it's the same as the NC2 engine it has fully forged internals!!

I love that car, especially in white. It is crying out for bigger wheels and tyres purely from the bling angle, and no, the 1500 is not suitable for a petrol head Jeff. Get the 2 litre. If it's the same as the NC2 engine it has fully forged internals!!

The 1.5 is such a sweet and free reving little engine though Nigel! And the suspension set up is apparently far better suited to road use in the 1.5 than the 2.0 from speaking to others who took the 2.0 on that day.

Good write up, Jeff. I get that it's always hard to convince people that less is more, in respect of the 1.5 over the more powerful 2 litre engine option. I  like it that Mazda seem to have got it right, though I had an MX5 (courtesy of Mazda UK for four months) and Mark had a 2.5 Sport and I just never liked them. They always seemed to be a bit of a 7/10ths car, really setup for cruising more than really attacking the road. 

But I confess I'm not a fan of convertibles. 

I love it. The only MX5 I didn't like was the mk2 which was a bit blobby looking. This car is the definition of 'just enough' and if I didn't have kids I might have bought one.

I'm just glad Mazda is still making it, and hasn't ruined it.

The 1.5, I felt, definitely wasn't a track car (as standard at least) and the 86 would annihilate it on track. But I felt it flowed really well on a and b roads - better than the 86 in my opinion. I drove the same bit of road after in my 86 and I'd been able to go faster in the 1.5 just simply due to how supple the 1.5's suspension was.

I intend to test drive both the 1.5 and 2.0 more before I make any sort of purchase decision but I was genuinely impressed.

Mx5 is also prettier (in latest incarnation anyway...). Although they've nicked some 86 styling cues I reckon...

Personally I'm waiting for the Italian spin off. Was going to be an Alfa Spider, but I think it's going to be some kind of modernised Fiat 124 Spider now. Sounds promising...

Given the 2 litre Sport has on paper very similar performance figures (and price) to our car it's crying out for a head to head road and track test. I like the idea of convertibles in the summer, but small as they are with a child I do also like having a couple of rear seats so currently it's not really an option for me.

Given the 2 litre Sport has on paper very similar performance figures (and price) to our car it's crying out for a head to head road and track test. I like the idea of convertibles in the summer, but small as they are with a child I do also like having a couple of rear seats so currently it's not really an option for me.

Mine fit in just fine (stop complaining or I'll amputate your legs!)

My wife's ultimatum was that 'it has to be able to carry all four of us'. Fair play. Hence Elise, Mx5, Caterham and S2000 went out of the window and I ended up with this. Can't say I mind...

Bet you could set up an 86 the same way though... Would be an unusual choice, but something I've considered on other cars... Softer can be better on road.

Mine now has a more compliant ride than stock but still is nowhere near the compliancy of the 1.5 mx5's ride.

I think our suspension set up (damper size, etc) just wouldn't allow the compliancy the 1.5 mx5 has.

No contest.

A rebodied Fiat 500 or a properly designed sports car ?

Don't feel happy in a GT86? With Tein Flex? I suggest a serious bit of personal car development is called for. . .  your smile is waning . . if you are happy to drive the ultimate hairdressers car go MX5 . .

(Are you a Mazda sales rep by any chance . . .?)

:huh:

Spec K

Oh dearie me. The hairdressers thing is sooo old. It's not a 500 either (thank god - my Abarth was pants - that chassis is happiest with the stock 68bhp)

The MX5 is a proper sports car. For road use. It was never supposed to be a track car. The 86 is trying to cover both bases thus the inevitable compromise. I don't find the 86 too stiff, though I'd prefer a little more compliance for rapid road use...

Oddly I think Riceburners car on 18' ultra leggeras rode better. Perhaps lighter wheels is all it needs. Will try out this theory this winter - probably on 16' pro race 2s...

Oh dearie me. The hairdressers thing is sooo old. It's not a 500 either (thank god - my Abarth was pants - that chassis is happiest with the stock 68bhp)

The MX5 is a proper sports car. For road use. It was never supposed to be a track car. The 86 is trying to cover both bases thus the inevitable compromise. I don't find the 86 too stiff, though I'd prefer a little more compliance for rapid road use...

Oddly I think Riceburners car on 18' ultra leggeras rode better. Perhaps lighter wheels is all it needs. Will try out this theory this winter - probably on 16' pro race 2s...

I've gone the light wheels route too - definitely helps.

No contest.

A rebodied Fiat 500 or a properly designed sports car ?

The mx5 is as much a rebodied fiat 500 as the 86 is a rebodied aygo.

I think you'll find mazda did the 'properly designed sports car' way before the 86 was even a twinkle in the designers eye.

And no, I'm not a Mazda sales rep but I can appreciate an excellent car and I'm happy to admit when a car is better (at some things) than the car I own.

Oh dearie me. The hairdressers thing is sooo old.

All hairdressers say that... (why are they so young these days..?.. and some of them drive GT86's!)

"Something for the weekend, Sir..?"

Spec K

Love the new MX5. Pawed over one at GFOS. Shame to see the prejudices are still alive.

The original finally killed off the last of the line Alfa Spiders like mine.

0c0c77dc969a31ef2a33a9d6f2c7d776.jpg

Where the hell did the Fiat 500 comment come from though?

Alfa were going to develop a new Spider with Mazda but binned the idea. Fiat are allegedly turning it into a new 124 Spider or the Abarth version. Both with fruity engines. Could be interesting.

Yes, that's a central thing to take into account here, the MX5 was always about trying to recreate the classic British roadster like the MG Spitfire where speed is secondary. The GT86 was trying to recreate the classic Japanese sport coupe like the 2000GT. There is crossover and overlap for sure, but at the same time it's like apples and pears, you may like them both and use them for similar things but they are... different.

I still want a proper road/track head to head with the 2 litre sport though!