Sign in to follow this  
GT86-Ian

AutoExpress Cosworth GT86 Review.

I guess that is what you pay for... the R&D instead of having to worry about it yourself when it comes to tuning etc? 

Isn't the cossie unit good to like 400hp like the HKS is without restrictor too?? I wasn't sure.... 

Slightly related, I've read in various places that the 0-60 times of standard factory cars is actually faster than the manufacturers reported figures of 7.6, with some places reporting times of less than 7 seconds. Is there any definitive answer out in the internet world of what the real 0-60 time is?

Slightly related, I've read in various places that the 0-60 times of standard factory cars is actually faster than the manufacturers reported figures of 7.6, with some places reporting times of less than 7 seconds. Is there any definitive answer out in the internet world of what the real 0-60 time is?

Probably not

Stick a set of tyres on the back with more grip than the Primacies and you'll probably get under 7 seconds

It gets worse... that quoted price is for the Supercharger (2.0), the 1.0 map, 18" wheels, AP Racing BBK and KW suspension, it doesn't include the exhaust components of 0.1, 0.2 and 0.3 (catback, mid pipe, manifold) which is another £3,800 on top to get the full 280bhp.

You can either get the supercharger by itself (1.0+2.0) for £5500 and have 260bhp out of the box with the SC kit, or stay NA and max out at 230bhp for £4500. At that price why would you even stay NA?

The 0-60 times are much faster than the 0-62mph times as our second gear runs right out of puff at the wrong time. Some magazines do 0-60 and others 0-62mph so there is always a massive variation with some doing gear changes and others trying to hold out in 2nd.

The gear change costs around 0.5 of a second. Remapped cars with a higher rev limit of 7650rpm can do the 60 dash without the need for 3rd gear and most people get 6.4-6.5 I think?

There was a picture floating around somewhere of a GT86 on a Toyota stand with a 0-60 figure of 6.7 seconds stock? Will try and dig it out...

I thought the quoted 0-60 times seemed a bit pessimistic. My Ford Puma fifteen years ago on 125bhp and not that much lighter could crack 8 seconds... With 200bhp at that weight just under 7 seconds seems about right...

My 325i coupe had something like 218hp with a manufacturers time of 6.6 seconds. My 156 had 155hp and a time of 8.6 seconds. Based on this my mathematic calculation says 7.2 seconds for 200 hp.

From the European launch apparently?! I think I read that any way. 

It is definitely quicker than the 7.6 advertised though. 

It is a bit like Porsche, they are very conservative on everything from power figures to top speed and 0-60 times. 

Plenty of people in the mid to late 2's to 60 with the new 991 Turbo S for example, way below claimed times. 

My 325i coupe had something like 218hp with a manufacturers time of 6.6 seconds. My 156 had 155hp and a time of 8.6 seconds. Based on this my mathematic calculation says 7.2 seconds for 200 hp.

You haven't factored in the power to weight though as the BMW will be heavier than the GT, so it's power to weight will be similar or less, which in turn would make it quicker. Also the gearing is obviously a factor. 

I admit, I don't hugely care about 0-60 times! 

GT86 power to weight 160hp/ton (1230kg)

BMW 325i power to weight 146hp/ton (1460kg)

Problem with the GT86 is that it can only do about 59MPH in 2nd gear.

Area under the curve makes a difference too. I suspect the BMW has more torque at low revs compared to the flat torque curve of the gt86.

not that I care....... :P

BMW used to feel amazing in 2nd and 3rd gear so will be interesting to compare. Didn't get to use the TVR much but that seemed to be able to pull away from most cars in 5th.

No it just toyota UK. They probably had a normal person try a 0-100kph and recorded the time.

Edmunds in the US managed a 0-60mph of 6.5sec for the manual car..... obviously 0-62mph will be slightly more but you need 3rd gear for both.

So any idea of a fully fitted cost of the sc kit from say Fensport etc... Assuming exhaust already done ?

its what £4800 for the kit plus a days labour to fit? so £5500?