Lauren

Chris Evans announced as TG presenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33158464

Signed a three year contract. Whilst I have my reservations about Chris Evans (though he slightly redeemed himself with the TFI anniversary last weekend), I sincerely hope he moves it forward as the current format was getting very tired. 

I look forward to see who the co-presenters are. 

They needed to change things up, for me I got bored of the same sequences rehashed with different cars, like in the last series where they had car v boat v bike v public transport, it was exactly the same as the one they did years ago. I liked Jeremy Clarkson and co but will be keen to see what the new team can offer. Also I cant wait for the last two episodes merged into one on June 28th.

The only person who could have pulled it off was Tiff N, but I'd doubt he would have returned to the BBC and he is committed still to 5th gear..Chris Evans is a proper car guy but will he be appealing to the masses? Jeremy only annoyed DM readers really..

Chris Harris is another awesome car reviewer and journo.. But his YouTube content is top notch and hes found a platform he enjoys! Plus his channel is free :D

I am one of the minority from what I read on forums but I like Chris Evans. 

One thing for sure is that if there are 3 presenters 1 will be female. BBC said in the last year or so no men only presented  shows on BBC. One reason why I fell Top Gear did not last. Even with the issue with Clarkson. Not that I mind, but the Clarkson, hammond and May just worked so well. 3 people who become mates and enjoyed going a show. I feel if their is a female presenter their will not be that glue that bonds them as well. Just a feeling. 

I do hope Top Gear is very good but I have my worry's it's wither going to try to hard or just flop. Only because of no JC, JM and RH. 

What does get me about "no men only presented  show's" on BBC which I agree with, what the fact that a few weeks ago we have female only presenters on the breakfast news!!! 2 x female presenters, 1 female weather forecaster, 1 female Business presenter. 

I'm all for equal rights but how can that be right. 

Can't stand Evans, but then can't stand Clarkson either (public school tosser), so I guess I still won't bother watching the programme (haven't seen it for years due to my hatred/boredom of the previous presenters and their infantile 'japes').

To be honest, I will still end up watching their new Netflix show when it comes about. Netflix know the audience those 3 provide, and the increase in revenue they will bring will be massive. 

I also think that on Netflix, Clarkson Hammond and May will be a lot more experimental and interesting with their shows. They will be free from BBC restrictions, free from the PC brigade and therefore can have a blank canvas to work from. My gut feeling on how the shows got less and less interesting and dynamic was the fact that the BBC started having more say in how it was structured. 

Clarkson, from writing most of the show, had less and less input as the years went on.. you can see the change from earlier series. 

The BBC saw a show that was incredibly big, growing into the biggest entertainment show in the world, and therefore wanted to moderate it's growth more and more. This is just my opinion though. 

I expect when their own new show comes around it will be a lot more interesting than the last couple of series of Top Gear on the BBC. 

I think TG was so tired and boring with the same old heavily scripted show, that it lost it's way. 

It is true that there is likely to be a female presenter, but I don't see an issue with that. Historically TG has had many female presenters in it's history from Angela Rippon to VBH. Obviously she's still having fun on 5th Gear so inevitably it will be someone else, but that's a good thing. The all bloke mentality to the last ten years of TG was tiresome and off putting for me, so I think it's time we had a change and that can only be a good thing. 

We can then but only hope for a more interesting format with less needless dicking around and less of the stupidness of smashing cars up for the sake of it. Let's also hope we get some decent drivers in and that the they get rid of the Stig which was always a huge annoyance. I mean why have the only person who can drive, in a non-talking role? Idiocy. 

Top Gear is simply not Top Gear without Clarkson, May and Hammond.

Chris Evans is the only realistic replacement, but I'm surprised the BBC have decided to continue the series at all with the dismissal of Clarkson leading to Hammond and May not renewing their contracts. The trio have even been reported filming together for another channel, so no doubt the Top Gear audience will just migrate away from the BBC if this turns out to be true.

As for Chris Evans, he's alright I guess. He's a car enthusiast and has some funny moments, but he's still a ginger tosser who is loathed by the majority of the UK. Who will his co-presenters be?

If the BBC are planning to take TG back to a factual, car-based show with reviews and road tests then fair enough. But it won't be getting my viewing unfortunately. TG is more about the chemistry of the 3 predecessors and watching them just generally dick around. It's an entertainment show and I will follow wherever they go next to see them together.

The new series with Chris Evans won't last long in my opinion.

TG was around long before Clarkson, May and Hammond. In fact May and Hammond didn't appear till far more recently, but that's all people seem to be able to remember. I've watched TG since 1978. It was crap back then, but let's face it so was pretty much everything else on TV. In fact, life was just crap then really!

I'm not a big Chis Evans fan, but don't underestimate him. He's come a long way since his days on the Big Breakfast. 

If Clarkson, May and Hammond want to go round smashing cars up that is fine, but I'd rather it wasn't with my licence fee. 

Sometimes it's good to have a change and let's face it, it was very much needed. 

TG was around long before Clarkson, May and Hammond. In fact May and Hammond didn't appear till far more recently, but that's all people seem to be able to remember. I've watched TG since 1978. It was crap back then, but let's face it so was pretty much everything else on TV. In fact, life was just crap then really!

I'm not a big Chis Evans fan, but don't underestimate him. He's come a long way since his days on the Big Breakfast. 

If Clarkson, May and Hammond want to go round smashing cars up that is fine, but I'd rather it wasn't with my licence fee. 

Sometimes it's good to have a change and let's face it, it was very much needed. 

I'm only talking about the "new" Top Gear. From 2002 onwards wasn't it? They had Clarkson, Hammond and some fat bloke that lasted a few episodes before they replaced him with James May

I always watch it on Dave or BBC and it's interesting to see how the older style was more about car reviews, races across Europe etc. But you can't deny that the specials they did in America, Africa, Vietnam etc weren't epic?!

I didn't see any need for change, but as above I'm a big fan of seeing them dick around and smash things up :lol:

The specials were good, I'd agree with that. 

I think it was still funny in 2007 or so, but the format needed refreshing. It's also been a bit about three blokes, being blokes (which I find tediously boring) rather than about the cars. 

What is done is done, but I do look forward to a more balanced show with less dicking around I hope and at least one presenter who can really drive. Plato would be a great choice. 

The specials were good, I'd agree with that. 

I think it was still funny in 2007 or so, but the format needed refreshing. It's also been a bit about three blokes, being blokes (which I find tediously boring) rather than about the cars. 

What is done is done, but I do look forward to a more balanced show with less dicking around I hope and at least one presenter who can really drive. Plato would be a great choice. 

Plato is a massive knob-jockey! So up himself and (hopefully) too busy with the BTCC

Steve Coogan would have been my choice if I'd had to make the decision. He's a knowledgeable chap with plenty of enthusiasm and experience with cars 

Not sure about the rumours for Jodie Kidd and Peter Jones to join Chris Evans, just seems a bit random

Jodie Kidd is an obvious choice. I would love to see VBH back on the scene though she's unlikely to be pulled away from 5th Gear. 

Plato is a great driver though, he did very well in his cameo roll with Tiff on 5th Gear. Having someone who knows that they are talking about when it comes to cars and handling is very important and something TG hugely lacked. 

Also look how well TG USA did with a decent driver like Tanner Foust. I really think they will look to include a racer in the line up, it's what TG here was really lacking. 

I like Jodie Kidd, but she does come across as awfully wooden with a script. Not a great fan of Jason Plato - there must be a racer somewhere with a personality. Always liked Tiff, but he's probably had his day.

Looks like it's shaping up: 

Chris Evans has the blessing of the others. Sounds like they're trying to work out which female presenter is right for the job. No news on who the third presenter will be though. 

But generally it looks like Evans is grabbing this with both hands, so there may be promise yet. 

Here's the current ones in the running in regard to female 

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jun/17/top-gear-female-presenter-chris-evans-jodie-kidd-suzi-perry

It's really interesting I think. Really VBH has all boxes ticked and they need a racing driver in there as it's not Evans. Jodie also ticks the boxes though her presenting needs work. 

Don't think Suzi is right. Not convinced of her knowledge. 

As for the other two, well they're unknowns to me. They'd need to be total petrolheads. 

I think the biggest issue isn't the studio stuff. All the names being floated about would be fine. It's the filmed segments and specials. You believed that Jeremy, James and Richard would genuinely choose to spend a trip in each other's company, and that's a big part of the success of the formula.

Can you seriously imagine Chris Evans and Jodie Kidd convincingly camping out in some sort of daft vehicle they made themselves?