Sonic

If Toyota did offer more power.......

If Toyota did offer more power....  

46 members have voted

1. 1. If there was a special edition how much power should it have

2. 2. What form should this extra power take ?

• Normally aspirated tuning
    • Normally aspirated tuning + capacity
    • Supercharged - Centrifugal
    • Turbocharged
    • Supercharged - Positive displacement

Just a thought here ladies and germs

but if there was a special edition that had more power what flavour should it be?

An NA upgrade ?

Forced induction ? Turbo or Super?

Bear in mind that NA tuning is the most expensive in terms of performance per pound and without spending loads on uprated valvegear  it seems that about 230Bhp is what you can expect

whereas a bolt on turbo or supercharger will give you 280Bhp  and if you went for uprated internals ( unlikely for a manfacturer) then you can get 350Bhp before worrying about the gearbox and dirveshafts ( although you'd need a clutch by this point)

I've opened a poll and just interested on peoples thoughts ( trying to make my own mind up really)

I seem to be the only one happy with a 250hp figure from a larger displacment tuned N/A engine haha! With it tuned I'd also like to see the blasted thing Rev to around 8.5k with a nice linear curve, unlike the stock motor that drops like a stone after 7k

there's an interesting thread on the american FRS forum by Element tuning about his search for revs

bascially the rockers are rather poor in quality and the oil pump runs out of flow at high revs after 8000rpm

once he'd tweaked the oil pump, rockers, front cover, rods, pistons, Valve springs and added an oil cooler and dry sump then finally it was reliable to 9Krpm..........

Yep I have emailed him a couple of times for advice as his time attack car was running reliably at 9k, although now it's boosted I think? 9k is a bit much to be honest, the valve springs are trash though and stop you running any kind of aggressive can profiles.

He actually told me that if he were to do it again, he'd keep the bottom end including Pistons and rods stock and do more head work. As soon as he added the heavier Pistons and rods he felt that the balance wasn't there for N/A, although for boosted applications the added strength was needed obviously.

NA tuning means they will struggle to meet emissions. I would guess there isn't that much to be gained from head work. The engine is already 100bhp/litre.

The only way to increase power is to rev higher and higher, which won't meet emissions and would also be prohibitively expensive. 

Turbo charging is not keeping with the spirit of the car. 

Supercharging is perhaps the obvious option. 

I didn't vote, because I think it's better just to leave it to the tuners. 

Although I admire anyone with the nous to tinker with their car and extract more horsepower, I can't help feeling it misses the point, and I've got a background with Saabs which is ALL about extracting daft horsepower from turboed 4 pots, and great fun it is too...

Wouldn't the ultimate cost-no-object GT86 have pretty much the engine it has now (but with a better sounding exhaust) but be lightened with various trick components? Would suit the car more to lose kgs rather than gain bhp.

Tricky to lose much I'd say

its pretty light already and sparesly equipped

if you were to do a stripped out version less AC and trim and dash, with carbon bootlid and plexi glass I doubt you'd get much less than 1050 ( original is 1200kg?)

It's Toyota so it definitely won't be a charger from what I've read. Maybe they'd at KERS or something similar, I'm sure it was Tetsuya Tada I read about saying that would be something they could get on board with in the future.

I voted turbo as I'm a fanboy though and 250bhp as I think that's what it would be if they were to charge them.

Wouldn't mind a KERS system to have that bit of boost when desired (hide the dip maybe?), but more than happy with the performance when going for a B road blast  :)

You want F1 technology on your £25,000 coupe?

OK then...

You want F1 technology on your £25,000 coupe?

They already said that it was a possibility on the facelift cars a year or so back. The technology isn't that far off, it'd be something more similar to Honda's IMA but Toyota have the Tech and the developments bring it cheaper all the time. Power recuperation is fairly maistream these days, BMW have used this fr many years now and guess who Toyota are now in bed with ;)

Toyota have been using the tech for years in the Prius and Yaris to reduce emissions, the first Prius was launched over 10 years before F1 even started using the tech. Given the Yaris/Auris hybrids are 1-1.5k more than their non hybrid models, for 3k over list for a more powerful motor/capacity seems fairly reasonable to create a hybrid sports car. If you can stick KERS in a 15k hatchback for the daily shop for 1.5k I'm sure they could find a solution to giving the GT86 more grunt with the same tech for not much more.