Hanslow

Greetings

Hi all,

I've been reading on here for a while but only just signed up. Had my orange 86 for a few weeks now since trading in my very functional but dull Yeti for it. The 86 is much more my cup of tea, actually giving me feedback through the pedals, wheel and aurally so much more at home with it.

Nothing major done with it at the moment, swapped out the standard USB/3.5mm for a dual USB port, spare wheel sorted, Raceseng cam plate cover in my posession but not fitted yet, hopefully will cure the occasional oil stink which pervades through the cabin at times. Other than that, got a set of old Impreza wheels to have a go at a DIY refurb and get shod with winter tyres (one area where I feel the Yeti might win). No other plans yet, other than to just enjoy driving the thing :)

It's been on my radar ever since sitting in Alec's and drawing parallels with the old 240z which I'd love to have but as a daily car need something reliable.

Only real niggle so far is that it won't connect my phone (Mediatek chipset), but got an update being done tomorrow to see if this will update the bluetooth on the nav module (allegedly will) so that it will then connect functionality properly.

Might see you around at some point :)

Steve

Welcome aboard Steve, enjoy the car, hope to catch up at some meets at some point soon. There is Tunerfest at Oulton on the 11th July which we are likely to have a club presence at. Track time if you want it too. :)

Welcome to the club fella, you'll be right at home here.. Just to check the oil smell coming from the engine, have you checked the cam plate to see if it's leaking? It was a common problem with our cars and I had the same issue with it leaking oil. If not as Skally says it's just the green goo on the engine :)

I used to work with him (for my sins) so have been talked to death oft enough, not that I'd say Alec has an opinion on things or anything ;) Love the big fella though!

James, Skally, it looks like the cam plate is leaking slightly, dark discolouration at the bottom of the existing plate, although I've not rubbed my finger along it yet, but the clear colour difference was enough to make me think I had the leak. The car's new to me, but 2nd hand, with just over 12k on the clock. There's visible signs of the green gunk, but only just. Since I've got the cam plate now, I've just got to get around to fitting it. Surely it can't be any worse than what's on there ;)

Thanks for the warm welcome all, hope to see some of you soon :)

I used to work with him (for my sins) so have been talked to death oft enough, not that I'd say Alec has an opinion on things or anything ;) Love the big fella though!

James, Skally, it looks like the cam plate is leaking slightly, dark discolouration at the bottom of the existing plate, although I've not rubbed my finger along it yet, but the clear colour difference was enough to make me think I had the leak. The car's new to me, but 2nd hand, with just over 12k on the clock. There's visible signs of the green gunk, but only just. Since I've got the cam plate now, I've just got to get around to fitting it. Surely it can't be any worse than what's on there ;)

Thanks for the warm welcome all, hope to see some of you soon :)

Yep sounds fairly normal to me. Do you get a faint oil smell when you are stationary or in traffic? Mine starting leaking around the 14k Mark.. I took it back to Toyota and they resealed it properly for me.. But seeings you have the aftermarket plate with you, you might aswell replace it with that and the leak should disappear :)

Yeah James, every now and then, I get a light whiff of burnt oil, not all the time, but when I do, it's more often than not been when I've pulled up, or slowed down for some lights or something. I did think about taking it back to Toyota to redo, but wasn't convinced with the flat plate to flat surface with gunk inbetween, so will feel a little happier with the rubber seal helping. I've watched the replacement video from Raceseng and it doesn't look too bad, although I'll likely replace from above rather than below.

Thanks everyone for the very warm welcome, nice to be greeted by a decent bunch of people :)

Long term, I'd quite like to get the proper burble back, having owned a decatted MY00 classic Impreza back in my more youthful days, so I've been reading around about UEL manifolds. Lots to choose from, so would be good to get myself along to one of the meets to listen to some of those that have made the swap. I don't mind loud, used to love my old Scoob sound. Almost bought a blobeye Scoob, but was sold on the coupe styling instead. Still wouldn't mind another Scoob though  :lol: I can never make my mind up with cars, the Yeti only managed to last 10 months in my ownership  :o

Yeah James, every now and then, I get a light whiff of burnt oil, not all the time, but when I do, it's more often than not been when I've pulled up, or slowed down for some lights or something. I did think about taking it back to Toyota to redo, but wasn't convinced with the flat plate to flat surface with gunk inbetween, so will feel a little happier with the rubber seal helping. I've watched the replacement video from Raceseng and it doesn't look too bad, although I'll likely replace from above rather than below.

Thanks everyone for the very warm welcome, nice to be greeted by a decent bunch of people :)

Long term, I'd quite like to get the proper burble back, having owned a decatted MY00 classic Impreza back in my more youthful days, so I've been reading around about UEL manifolds. Lots to choose from, so would be good to get myself along to one of the meets to listen to some of those that have made the swap. I don't mind loud, used to love my old Scoob sound. Almost bought a blobeye Scoob, but was sold on the coupe styling instead. Still wouldn't mind another Scoob though :lol: I can never make my mind up with cars, the Yeti only managed to last 10 months in my ownership :o

Yeah the Raceseng plste seems like a much better design, if I hadn't had a good experience at Toyota and it carried on leaking I would have got the Raceseng plate and fitted it myself.. Let us know how you get on.

In regards to the UEL burble.. If you read my signature you'll see I have the setup you are after! UEL Borla manifold, catless 2.5" straight pipe back to a loud catback.. She screams and sounds like a proper Scooby.. Whereabouts are you based?? I am located In Essex so if you are not far I don't mind taking you for a spin to hear what a UEL catless setup sounds like on these :)

Thanks for the offer James, unfortunately as Alec points out, some way away from Essex. Fortunately I'm not an impulsive person, probably far too much the other way in that it takes me ages to make my mind up, so plenty of time for me to get out and about and hear a few ;)

Ahh well that put that idea out the window then! We have JAE and Japfest 2 this year which are quite big events with a few of us attending, should show your face at those to introduce yourself :)