ZEP

Supercharger

Hello:

I would like to have your opinion/experience between these two options:

Cosworth FA20 supercharger Stage 2 / HKS supercharger V2

I've my car with a 2,5" Perrin catback,  K&N air filter (OEM box) and Fensport ECU repro (+- 220Hp)

The price is quite similar (something less for HKS). The installation seems to bee a little bit easier for Cosworth (no welding). The increase in power seems to bee similar (+- 70Hp with my car configuration).

Will I get a really better car with more 50Hp and increased torque spending 4,5-5K?

two completely different power deliveries, do you want a wave of torque or a more peaky always rising torque curve?

With both at the same power level for arguements sake (although I think hks peak is higher in base form) the cosworth set up will be faster throughout the range and also feel faster due to the way the TVS supercharger delivers the power.

That said - I have the HKS v2 kit as I think that the peaky delivery will suit the nature of the car, plus I also think it will be easier to control when you start upping the power.

I did a lap at Blyton today in Maz's HKS 86 and was very impressed with the smooth power delivery and constant wall of power, and very controllable when the back end is out of shape.

BIG thanks to Maz for trusting me with his car.

As a matter of interest, what welding is required on the HKS kit?

No welding required. Abbey advise an IAT sensor to be installed with the kit (separate) which needs to be welded into the pipe pre TB., alternator bracket needs cut and something else does as far as I think. I'm going to instal mine on May 4th so will take pictures along the way.

I did a lap at Blyton today in Maz's HKS 86 and was very impressed with the smooth power delivery and constant wall of power, and very controllable when the back end is out of shape.

BIG thanks to Maz for trusting me with his car.

Who is Maz? He on here? Thread /any video of his car?

Maz is on here (username - hashiriya) and he's the director of HKS Europe, an awesome and very knowledgeable fella!  His car has been featured in this vid but I have a feeling that the car is only running the V1 HKS Supercharger where as now he has the V2 Supercharger.

Can't believe you drove his car around the track Kev, so Jealous!

Keith I have known Maz many years and he is a great guy, always happy to talk anything about cars. Although our conversation Saturday evening became very varied lol.

The V2 HKS SC kit is pretty awesome TBH it isnt far behind the Sprintex with regards mid range torque and will always give more power top and and with the removable restrictor  with extra work can really stretch it legs.

Yes we advise to add a Charge air temp sensor so the inlet air temp is measure POST intercooler not pre SC if you use the car as it is , the IAT is situated in the Air Flow meter as stock.

Would love to run a Cosworth SC kit on our in house dyno to allow us to compare all the SC kits available at th emoment

The V2 HKS SC kit is pretty awesome TBH it isnt far behind the Sprintex with regards mid range torque and will always give more power top and and with the removable restrictor  with extra work can really stretch it legs.

Yes we advise to add a Charge air temp sensor so the inlet air temp is measure POST intercooler not pre SC if you use the car as it is , the IAT is situated in the Air Flow meter as stock.

Would love to run a Cosworth SC kit on our in house dyno to allow us to compare all the SC kits available at th emoment

Drop Mike a PM, I think he's having his dyno'd soon so would be interested in having it done at Abbey as well

Looking under the bonnet with the Stage 2 kit fitter, I very much doubt you could get another strut brace around or over the supercharger. But someone is bound to try.......

Drop Mike a PM, I think he's having his dyno'd soon so would be interested in having it done at Abbey as well

I've posted the RR results up on the thread about the Cosworth Stage 2 kit, I'm looking at a Japspeed header kit as a replacement to the std header to take the torque dip out. It's the one thing I didn't get around to when the whole shebang was being installed. But it's a like-for-like kit so it should be a straightforward job (famous last words).

Does anyone know if Cosworth stage 2 kit is compatible with TRD front strut bar?

To be fair, you don't need the strut brace, so you could just lose it. You will have the stock bracing in place which is all you need. 

Well GPRM dont think a brace is required, TMD do...... Both their cars are designs to use racing slicks and very firm spring rates. I would hazard a guess that with road legal tyres and soft suspension, its not going to make a noticable improvment to chassis rigidity.