Tweedbean

tweedbean's GT86

From what I've seen over in the States where a few people are fully decatted, it's extremely raspy and overly loud

Now if you've ever heard my car, you'll know I like it loud, but a fully decatted system is just too much, will most likely drone on the motorway and just sound awful. However, I await to see what this setup is like before I say too much!

what system is yours, never asked before and its a nice volume with a slight rasp

what system is yours, never asked before and its a nice volume with a slight rasp

Borla UEL manifold, Cobra overpipe, Berk high-flow cat front pipe, Invidia Q300 catback but I've replaced the resonated mid pipe with a custom straight through for a bit more volume. Suits me perfectly as it's nice and quiet in the car on a long cruise, but when you put your foot down, all hell breaks loose! :lol:

On track days I simply swap the custom mid pipe with the resonated Invidia mid pipe and it's then quiet enough for track use

I went decat for a short time. Completly. De-catted Manifold and De-catted front pipe whilst I was waiting for a front pipe to come into stock.

IT was too loud. Too Raspy. too Droney and just horrible. 

I'd suggest putting a high-flow cat in atleast. Which got rid of the rasp but kept the volume. I've since gone resonated and will probably be going even quieter soon when I compeltly change my exhaust. 

Supercharger pushes a lot of air and a lot of noise. 

I went decat for a short time. Completly. De-catted Manifold and De-catted front pipe whilst I was waiting for a front pipe to come into stock.

IT was too loud. Too Raspy. too Droney and just horrible. 

I'd suggest putting a high-flow cat in atleast. Which got rid of the rasp but kept the volume. I've since gone resonated and will probably be going even quieter soon when I compeltly change my exhaust. 

Supercharger pushes a lot of air and a lot of noise. 

SZLFA7GO_400x400.jpeg

SZLFA7GO_400x400.jpeg

Probably, but had enough of the loud noise and stupid rasp. Not for me. 

After being to goodwood and watching 500hp saloons go up the hill what's obvious is that nice, well tuned and sweet sounding exhausts are far far nicer than all out rasp and volume. Much rather have a comfortable quiet quick car than one that's too loud. But that's my personal preference.

Probably, but had enough of the loud noise and stupid rasp. Not for me. 

After being to goodwood and watching 500hp saloons go up the hill what's obvious is that nice, well tuned and sweet sounding exhausts are far far nicer than all out rasp and volume. Much rather have a comfortable quiet quick car than one that's too loud. But that's my personal preference.

You saying mine isn't a "well tuned and sweet sounding exhaust"? :huh:

You saying mine isn't a "well tuned and sweet sounding exhaust"? :huh:

Let's not get political on Tweedbeans Thread, But when I heard it at Gaydon And Rockingham, not for me.  ;)  But I hate Rasp. 

Totally agree, all down to personal preference. I will see how I get on as its not difficult to thrown in a CAT if I need to.

Another purchase that I went to collect today, which will make my plans easier, genuine front wing which are practically brand new. More to come on these, they wont be looking like this for long:

18734836954_cf0e70577b_o.jpgSpare wings by James Baker, on Flickr

I know what you're doing.. you're going to cut the arches out to fit a RB kit..

Or, vents in the rear.

I know what you're doing.. you're going to cut the arches out to fit a RB kit..

Or, vents in the rear.

Talking about RB kit, I was with your friends at Knightracer today ;) They had the stock wings for sale as they had removed them to fit carbon replacements. Not a great location for parking, its very tight, they had a lot going on in such a small workshop.

It is a shame that before I take my manifold off next week you didn't get a run in my car James to hear what a fully catless UEL system sounds like, should have nudged me at Japfest and we could have nipped out! 

To be honest I have been running a catless setup for months now and I find it absolutely hilarious! Tunnels are brilliant fun, narrow B Roads with overlooking trees give back a lovely reverb and in general the car just sounds like a raw animal! 

A lot of the drone at motorway speeds is really manageable when you are just cruising and even my Dad on the way down to Goodwood last weekend was pleasantly surprised at how much hearing he had left when we got there! 

It is a trade off after all, but different strokes for different folks! 

I personally think you are going to love it mate and you'll definitely have upload a few sound clips when you've bolted on my manifold! 

When do you think the front wings will be finished buddy?

Just need to get them over to the bodyshop but I am short on time at the moment.

My wheels are back

Yesterday I collected my wheels from the powder coaters after they had done a FOC colour change. I decided to change colour as the green was just too light next to the white paint work. I had done many photoshops and got down to 3 colours orange, pink and gold. After a number of conversation and going down to the powder coaters I settled on gold as the pink and orange just didnt look right when I held their samples wheels next to my car.

On they go

Today I rebuilt the wheels and got them fitted. While up in the air I maxed out the front coils to level it off with the rears, I spaced out the rear wheels 5mm to get the same fitment as the front and I added negative camber to the front to again replicate the camber on the rear. All little niggly things that I wanted to get right.

Back from the powder coaters:

19255969810_30ca09ec08_o.jpgBack from the powder coaters by James Baker, on Flickr

Rebuilt and ready to go, I think the red centres do work better with the gold, I am awaiting a replacement one in the post, hence only three in this picture. They went together a lot easier this time around.

Laminx Fog Lights

While in the air I pulled off the front fog light surrounds and tinted the fog lights yellow, im not 100% sold on it just yet, but I will leave it for now and see if it grows on me. It didnt cost anything as I had some yellow laminx left from the clubby:

19447787141_7a49b7d9f0_o.jpgThe covers popped right off by James Baker, on Flickr

19449464421_48f4105234_o.jpgLaminx Fog light by James Baker, on Flickr

Glad to see the Teins still look like new:

19417470106_88b30de82c_o.jpgStill look like new by James Baker, on Flickr

The finished article:

19259037779_e2fcf50d26_o.jpgFront by James Baker, on Flickr

19445193655_f0f6fd2742_o.jpgRear by James Baker, on Flickr

Goodbye rake:

18823044014_910d1eb9d0_o.jpgSide by James Baker, on Flickr

18824572963_0937cb7e37_o.jpgWheel close up by James Baker, on Flickr

18822713194_3977a927f0_o.jpgEngine Bay by James Baker, on Flickr

I am really pleased with the new look and they way this car is going.

Looking nice dude!

I'm a big fan of tinted fogs. I'll probably do mine yellow as I feel I'll get hassle if I do them green  :lol:

Thanks, I am really pleased, another bonus is the gold is close to that on the Beatrush brace I already have in the engine bay. It also works well with the red on the interior and engine bay.

When I get some big brakes, I am thinking Impreza STI brembos to go under those wheels, I am not sure if to go with subtle black calipers with gold logos or red calipers with gold logos. I've got plenty of time to think as I haven't sourced any calipers yet.

On the fog lights, it was really easy to do, a 10 minute job with tools being a heat gun and a sharp blade for the laminx.

Agreed, looks awesome mate, not too sure about the whole yellow lights, a bit too old fashioned for my liking.....though yellow lights on a yellow car.....hmmmm....maybe a bit too much yellow though