KevinA

Stopped Raining

Echo what Keethos said, especially if the car is N/A as I may look to swap out my wheels after a little while and would need 9.5 for the concave look (GTRs).

9.5's all round, when you try very hard the tail will drift but I prefer it all planted and maximum grip. The limit just moves further out of reach and understeer very minimal, just personal preference really. Carbon bits Debs likes so I fit them as they arrive.

I'm not surprised. I had 225's on (Advans) and I found it hard to get it drifting or get the rear end to move around. So 235's will be more so. 

I'm going back to Primacys on my 8" rims so will be interesting to see how our times compare at Snett which I don't know at all. Still not had a remap yet either! It's my theory that I can drive a car faster if I can steer it on the throttle more. We'll see!

Just like Ztox, I want the concaved look so would like to go 9.5 wide. Now I'd do it instantly if I knew I was going FI pretty soon but I have no idea when I'll be going FI or even at all considering how much I'm spending to get her fixed :(

That's cheating Kev, having wide tyres and still being able to do 4 wheel drifts in a beast like that would he a lot easier than an NA 86 with wide tyres. I wish you could hire wheels and tyres to try out before you commit to buying a set for whatever big bucks......hmmmm.....sounds like a potential business idea here

I'm thinking the same as you Keethos. If doing it is going to take away a lot of the n/a fun I might not bother until I've got a tubby hooked up. At least I'll have some nice OZ wheels for the time being :)

I am currently running Team Dynamics 17" x 9.5" with Conti Contact 5's fitted -  if we get to a trackday, Keethos, you're welcome to try 'em out.

Probably going 10" on rears.... we shall see.. 

Spec K

I'm thinking the same as you Keethos. If doing it is going to take away a lot of the n/a fun I might not bother until I've got a tubby hooked up. At least I'll have some nice OZ wheels for the time being :)

That would be my thinking. Whilst I could put a supercharger or turbo on to balance the grip and power well with a 225 tyre, it's far cheaper to reduce the grip back to stock levels as then with my suspension I can fully exploit the chassis. I think if the car isn't moving around, you're not into the handling of it and balancing the angle of the car with the throttle is very much what it is to be in the 'zone' at least for me any way.

Last year I put on Advans in 225's and the fun dissapeared. Yes it was faster, but that's not everything for me. Whereas with the stock Primacy tyre I could play all day and it was a lot more fun as I do like to drift a bit. :)

I'd definitely take you up on your offer Keith but you've got some serious power to keep the car feeling lively, I'd want to try 9.5 on an NA car ideally.

The problem with me is that I don't really have a preference for when I'm on track, I haven't had enough experience to know if I'd prefered mega grip for fast laps for slower times but more slippery fun. I enjoy a bit of both. Yes I like the slippery fun but always worried that my skills are lacking and that I'll end up sliding off/spinning out. While I was a Cadwell, whenever I tried to really push the car, I would just end up make the tyres screech and feel the backend come out a which was a hoot, but it made me afraid of going too fast for some of the other corners knowing that the car lacked a certain amount of grip.

While more grip maybe a lil safer but a bit more boring after a while I'd reckon.....either that or I'll end up pushing the car further than I normally would and the car to suddenly let go and cause a bigger incident

While more grip maybe a lil safer but a bit more boring after a while I'd reckon.....either that or I'll end up pushing the car further than I normally would and the car to suddenly let go and cause a bigger incident

That's basically the size of it. More grip equals cornering faster but when you run out of grip you're going to have a bigger accident if you don't catch it. It may mean though that for the most part you simply drive within the grip limits of the tyres which will of course mean you're going faster. 

I think you have to weigh up if you like steering the car on the throttle or not. Obviously it's a skill that takes time to get right and it's not without risk. So it depends upon whether you're happy to have the car move around and feel comfortable with that. I think more grip is probably safer until the point it lets go at higher speed, but that balancing the power and grip levels so you have just enough power to drive at and beyond the slip angle of the tyre is where it's at for me. A car only truly comes alive when you're steering it on the throttle IMO. 

I may be in the minority though.  :P

As Lauren says it's all about what you enjoy most, getting the fastest lap is only one aspect of fun. I really like FWD on the limit when balancing lift off oversteer with throttle understeer, and todays tyres let you play much more  :)

I remember pushing a 3ltr JPS Capri round Brands and how quickly I ran out of talent  :( so the 86 is of that breed but with so much more capability, looking forward to a fun year and the usual exchange of experiences with other club folks  :D