Lauren

EVO Triangle 1st Feb with Jamie

16234972669_3bdb81506e_c.jpgUntitled by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

Well this was a last minute meet and I admit I had a nagging feeling the day before that I should get out and drive my car for pleasure (rather than work for a change). Also being my car's second birthday, I thought it fitting that I should go and do the EVO Triangle in North Wales just as I did on the first full day I had the car with only 50 miles on the clock! 

This time, there was no worries about running in of course as I now have over 54,000 miles on the clock. I put up on Facebook at 10am on Sunday morning, when I thought, let's just do it and Jamie kindly offered to join me. 

We met up in Mold and drove along the A494 to the A5 where we pick up the B5401 to take the route up to the 'Triangle'. For those not in the know this a route popularised by EVO magazine for testing cars. 

This is my fourth or fifth time and I first drove it in my AE86 back in 2011. It's a good mix of roads with the A543 being the highlight in my opinion with great visibility at the top on a road that winds and rises and falls with some great cambers on some well sighted corners. 

For the first 'lap'. I followed Jamie and he went at a good pace. The road was clear but had meltwater on it from the melting snow which covered the sides. In a few places there was still snow on the road! With this in mind, I didn't feel that this was the time to flat out, but nevertheless we hit a good pace with Jamie leading. 

On the way back up towards Lake Brenig we stopped at the lake (as in that pic in the car park) for walkie for Indy a chat and the inevitable coffee in the cafe there. It really is a beautiful place and Indy really enjoyed herself in the snow. 

15798708814_354d571ab7_c.jpgUntitled by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

Stunning scenery too! 

16234980059_b3ecf9dc01_c.jpgUntitled by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

We really ought to have stopped on the road, but it was a little difficult to park with the laybys being full of snow. 

Next up, my turn to lead and wow, did I enjoy this. The car just came together and I could feel every nuance of grip. Temperatures were low we saw 0C at one point, but the grip levels were suprisingly consistent and my winter tyres gave me confidence (I'm really starting to change my viewpoint in regard to these!). Obviously with snow on the sides of the roads going wide was not an option as it would have just dragged you off the road. Nevertheless I was seeing 100mph in places and just loving being able to really lean on the car and sit it down round the faster corners. It never ceases to amaze me, just how much speed you can carry. 

Yesterday reminded me just why I love this car so much, there was just so much feedback coming through the wheel, the seat of my pants and it just gave a feeling of total confidence and before long my speeds were increasing and I was really getting into the groove. 

This is a car you can just play with and when you get in the zone it is just magical. To me, that is what driving is all about and that to me is the essence of the thrill of driving. Even on the way back I had some seriously good fun (sorry Jamie about you getting stuck behind the traffic) along the A494, it was just epic and there I was just weighting the car up for one corner and transferring it over for the next, the stuff of heaven to me when you can just manipulate the car and get it to really flow from corner to corner. 

I think we need to go back and do it again! Thanks, Jamie for coming along too! :) 

I would have popped down if I had gotten up earlier... oh well...

I would have said it was a good thing as I got a speeding ticket last time but I may have got one anyway this morning  :(

Luckily around my way (Essex) we have some great open country roads to exploit, haven't taken her out much during the snowfall however as I hate how much the salt eats into your paintwork and makes your car look awful! 

Looked like a great trip though, and the views looked incredible along the hills!

So you started off with black decals before the red Lauren?

Stock side stripes, yes. 

My car is absolutely covered in salt, James, nothing I can do about it really, they put salt on the roads it ends up on my car. It's like a salty sheen on it at the moment! 

I know! I have put off washing my car for the past 2 weeks as I think it's useless given how much they are gritting the roads at the moment!

Thankfully I commute by train for work all week and the car is used as a weekend toy so the damage is minimal thankfully!

I wish I lived closer to this, looks absolutely epic!! As James said though, some okay roads round this way if you look in the right places :)