Tweedbean

Hello from tweedbean

I am pretty lucky the salesman recognised my Clubby which was nice and he is a mini nut so he is happy for me to give it a proper test drive.  He certainly didnt take it easy test driving my car to give me a trade in price.  :) 

So earlier in the week I booked a test drive in a GT86 for today, which has meant I have spent the week excited about finally driving one of these after talking about them for the last 6 months.  Last night I got a call from Toyota to say someone had crashed the demo car so I would need to rebook for something later in the week.  As someone who doesn't give up that easily, I met up with Rich this morning and rang around a number of dealerships until we managed to find a GT86 ready for a test drive in Nuneaton.  Before I went out for a test drive I had a good look around the car and I was happy with what I saw.   Negatives first, no leg room and small boot opening which I dont care about.  The stock headunit looks pants and needs replacing.  Styling wise inside and out they have done a great job.  There is a lot of leather inside which is good and the build quality isn't a let down and I would say is at least on par with the R56 in terms of materials and build quality. 

Now onto the test drive itself, I have seen a lot of reviews by car people/magazines saying its an amazing car, others have said it just doesn't have enough power.  I went in with none of this in mind as I wanted to make up my own mind based on what I experienced.   The guy from the dealership was happy for me to drive it how I wanted to, so off I went and straight away I can say it isnt slow, it may not be a fire breathing monster however for what it is and what Toyota set out to create, it has enough power.  It felt as fast as a Cooper S for me, these are 200bhp, although it didnt have that kick in the back you get from a turbo, it certainly didnt feel sluggish.  It also made all the right noises, it had drama, from the moment you press the push start button there was a burble of an exhaust then when you rev'd the engine the cockpit was filled with noise from the engine bay courtesy of a sound tube piping sound from the engine bay.  That boxer engine makes a great noise.  When it came to corners you could feel the back end slip easily without me pushing it in the wet today (in a controlled way).  

This car has the drama I wished my Clubby fJCW had out the box.  When I got back into my clubby, it felt silent, just no drama, no noise, all the things the GT86 had.  One thing it took me most of the test drive to realise ,which is a little annoying, is that I drove it like my clubman.  I expected power in the lower rev range, however once I realised the power in this engine was up high in the rev range, it suddenly clicked and I found power I didnt realise was there.  I saw enough on that test drive to seal the fate of my Clubby.   

So all my local Toyota dealerships have my details and are trying to source one for me.  Options wise, for me I am only interest in the alcantara seats, although if I can get one cheap with cloth seats, a set of bride reclining seats may be purchased :)  I am going used as I am going to modify this car heavily so there is no point in getting a new one for me.  Colour wise I decided today after seeing both colours in the flesh that it has to be white or orange, no other colours will do.  

First major mods would be to remove the spoiler and fit a TRD duck tail type one, a set of wheels and coilovers.  Then future mods would include a turbo/supercharger kit and I am 70/30 on a rocket bunny kit which is a irreversible mod as you have to cut away the arches to get it to fit.  

So earlier in the week I booked a test drive in a GT86 for today, which has meant I have spent the week excited about finally driving one of these after talking about them for the last 6 months.  Last night I got a call from Toyota to say someone had crashed the demo car so I would need to rebook for something later in the week.  As someone who doesn't give up that easily, I met up with Rich this morning and rang around a number of dealerships until we managed to find a GT86 ready for a test drive in Nuneaton.  Before I went out for a test drive I had a good look around the car and I was happy with what I saw.   Negatives first, no leg room and small boot opening which I dont care about.  The stock headunit looks pants and needs replacing.  Styling wise inside and out they have done a great job.  There is a lot of leather inside which is good and the build quality isn't a let down and I would say is at least on par with the R56 in terms of materials and build quality. 

Now onto the test drive itself, I have seen a lot of reviews by car people/magazines saying its an amazing car, others have said it just doesn't have enough power.  I went in with none of this in mind as I wanted to make up my own mind based on what I experienced.   The guy from the dealership was happy for me to drive it how I wanted to, so off I went and straight away I can say it isnt slow, it may not be a fire breathing monster however for what it is and what Toyota set out to create, it has enough power.  It felt as fast as a Cooper S for me, these are 200bhp, although it didnt have that kick in the back you get from a turbo, it certainly didnt feel sluggish.  It also made all the right noises, it had drama, from the moment you press the push start button there was a burble of an exhaust then when you rev'd the engine the cockpit was filled with noise from the engine bay courtesy of a sound tube piping sound from the engine bay.  That boxer engine makes a great noise.  When it came to corners you could feel the back end slip easily without me pushing it in the wet today (in a controlled way).  

This car has the drama I wished my Clubby fJCW had out the box.  When I got back into my clubby, it felt silent, just no drama, no noise, all the things the GT86 had.  One thing it took me most of the test drive to realise ,which is a little annoying, is that I drove it like my clubman.  I expected power in the lower rev range, however once I realised the power in this engine was up high in the rev range, it suddenly clicked and I found power I didnt realise was there.  I saw enough on that test drive to seal the fate of my Clubby.   

So all my local Toyota dealerships have my details and are trying to source one for me.  Options wise, for me I am only interest in the alcantara seats, although if I can get one cheap with cloth seats, a set of bride reclining seats may be purchased :)  I am going used as I am going to modify this car heavily so there is no point in getting a new one for me.  Colour wise I decided today after seeing both colours in the flesh that it has to be white or orange, no other colours will do.  

First major mods would be to remove the spoiler and fit a TRD duck tail type one, a set of wheels and coilovers.  Then future mods would include a turbo/supercharger kit and I am 70/30 on a rocket bunny kit which is a irreversible mod as you have to cut away the arches to get it to fit.  

The point about the power delivery is something I try (in vain) to always explain to my friends and others interested in the car. 

People that say the car stock does not have enough power simply drive it like a normal car, and in which case it will not, because this was not designed to be driven in a normal way. 

You get literally NOTHING below 5k, and in that regard the boxer FA20 with it's Variable valve timing and twin injection system literally acts like a VTEC motor with it's second performance cam. Above 5k you get the urge in one big dollop and suddenly the car starts to make sense. 

Peak power comes at 7k, peak torque comes in at 6600, the engine was designed to be revved out to get the most out of it, and for many this is something they fail to grasp when driving it quickly. 

The car comes alive in this sweet spot in the rev range, and you will FOREVER have a smile on your face because of it. I never tire of coming out of second gear corners with it hovering around 5k and feeling it boot you onto the next straight. Yes it is a little breathless above 120mph, but tuning and FI can take care of that ;) 

Noticed your thread about lowering on the other site. If you want the same ride height as Pitman, Spec K and myself it's only a 25/20mm drop IIRC. Which is good because anymore and you can compromise the handling as it messes with the geo. We all run Tein Streetflex with EDFC Active Pro. Spec K and Pitman run 6/6kg whilst I run 5/6kg. I should add Rob has the exact same setup as me. 

At that height it doesn't seem to be an issue in regard to clearance unless you have high square speedhumps in which case you'll need to run a wheel over them as it will scrape your exhaust if you put a wheel either side of the hump! I manage okay. 

Thanks for that.

Notice these come with 17" wheels as stock and a lot of people go for 18" wheels, would I be right that for handling 17" wheels are the better option?  I was always of that opinion with the mini and it would be interesting to know what people think.

Thanks for that.

Notice these come with 17" wheels as stock and a lot of people go for 18" wheels, would I be right that for handling 17" wheels are the better option?  I was always of that opinion with the mini and it would be interesting to know what people think.

Smaller wheels always equals better when it comes to handling. They are lighter too. I run 17" TE37's an inch wider than stock. 

Couple of quality Mini projects there Tweedbean :)

Wheel wise I'd be more focused on width; both modest 17" and 18" high work well with the car.

What sort of width suits the GT86's character, or is it just down to personal preference?

I'd say for N/A 8" and F/I 9" to 9.5"... down to personal pref though. I am running 9", Mas drove it the other day when we swapped cars, said it held well so that's good enough for me :D

It depends on tyre width of course but you don't want a wheel that's a bit narrow for the tyre. I run an 8" rim. I tried the stock tyres, it was good, then I went to 225's for the Sprint series and more grip which many would say is ideal for an 8" rim and it was. 

I'm now going back to the OEM tyre on the wider rim as I preferred the feel of the car with a tiny bit of stretch plus 225s are too grippy when you've got 200bhp. I am probably the only one that thinks that though, but it's all about balancing grip with the power you have really. 

So the search continues for a GT86, a couple of weeks ago when I didnt have the money, there were loads for sale, now I have the cash nothing.  So I have my local dealers chasing a couple of cars for me and on the watch for anything that comes up.  White is still number one colour choice with orange second.  No other colour will do and it has to be manual.  Interior isnt an issue as hopefully I have an alcantara interior coming from Nige so I am on the look out for a bargain Gt86 to mod that must be from a dealer as I have a strong trade in option with my local dealership who have been great so far.   

Im still searching  :( 

I was in the process of writing a "look at my new GT86" thread yesterday however even though I had placed a deposit with a dealership close to me for a GT86 yesterday morning, the dealerships up north where the car was at decided to ignore this and sell it to someone else in the afternoon  :angry:  

As you can expect, I was not very happy and there is an ongoing complaint but they are aware of two cars that may match my criteria so I may get something agreed by Thursday on another car.  Yesterday was like being on an emotional roller coaster, but I will share details of my experience once the issue is resolved.

It other good news I have picked up a few goodies for the new car from Nige, great guy to deal with.   B)

Deposit now transferred to another GT86 coming in at the end of this week, so hopefully I may be able to collect it next week :)

13 plate

9k on the clock

White

Manual

sat nav

Not sure on interior yet, although I know it's all black as its am20

I haven't even seen a photo of it yet, but as they already hold my deposit due to last weeks fiasco, they moved it to this car and if it isn't as perfect as they described then I can get it refunded. Got a very good deal on the car too so I am really pleased, but I don't want to get too excited just yet in case anything goes wrong before collection like last week.

I will keep you all up to date and once I have the car I will also post up all the details of the issues I have had dealing with a couple of dealerships.

I'd say for N/A 8" and F/I 9" to 9.5"... down to personal pref though. I am running 9", Mas drove it the other day when we swapped cars, said it held well so that's good enough for me :D

I say not a bit more than 7.5 for FI,lol