Tweedbean

Hello from tweedbean

Hi all, I've always had a soft spot for a japanese coupe/convertible but I always seem to end up with a MINI. I currently drive a MINI Clubman JCW, which I've had for nearly 2 years now. Last year I had my head turned by a Subaru BRZ as I used to live near the Subaru dealership in Balsall Common. Then when I had a load of problems with the engine in the Clubby I nearly went for one, however I convinced myself I wanted to keep the Clubman.

A year on and I find myself looking at the gt86/brz again, although the lack of power puts me off. I really need to get in and drive one of these. My thoughts are to switch to one next year, learn to drive rwd then go for a turbo conversion on it. Still not 100% whether to go for it so I have been lurking on a few forums lately taking in what I can around common issues etc. Here is some info around my last two cars.

My Previous MINI Cooper S

6495294369_16154144a8_o.jpg

Last public outing by tweedbean, on Flickr

6227554978_816fc4b2b4_o.jpg

I really liked this shot for some reason by tweedbean, on Flickr

It had a great spec:

- 2004 Facelift R53 MINI Cooper S

- Magazine featured

Engine:

- Thumper TPR1 Peformance Head

- GP Intercooler

- DaveF CAI

- Milltek Catback Exhaust

- Janspeed Manifold with decat pipe

- KMT 17% Pulley

- Newman Cam

- 450cc Porsche Injectors

- GTT Oil Catch Can

- P-Torque Custom Remap

- SFS Snoot boots

Performance:

- 260 BHP

- 230 lb/ft Torque

Gearbox:

- Six speed manual

- KMT Carbon Clutch

- Retro fitted MINI LSD

Suspension:

- GTT Upper Strut Brace

- OMP lower strut brace

- Cabrio braces in Purple

- GTT Rear Strut brace

- Meister R Coilovers

- Lower SPC Rear Control Arms

- Polybushed rear upper control arms in red

- Superflex Polybushes for the engine mounts, gearbox mounts, rear control arms

and steering rack

Brakes:

- Front Custom R56 4 pot Brembos in Black with gold brembo decal

- Front Drilled and grooved front discs

- R56 Cooper S Brake lines

- Rear Cooper S brakes in black

- MOTUL RBF600 Racing Brake Fluid

Wheels and tyres:

- Road Use: Custom 17” Purple BBS RZ's 17x7 et37

- Road Tyres: Toyo Proxes T1 R's 205 45 17

- Track Wheels: Custom 17” Black BBS RZ's 17x7 et37

- Track tyres R888's 205 45 17

Interior:

- Orranje Performance GP Style Seat Delete Panels in matt black

- Sparco Milano's Full Leather Seat

- GP Rear seat delete kit in matt black

- Black Sparco Harnesses for track use

- Black Alcantara Roof liner with satin black fixture and fittings

- RKDE Black Alcantara downtubes with silver stitch

- RKDE Black Alcantara gear stick gaiter with silver stitch

- RKDE Black Alcantara handbrake gaiter with silver stitch

- De-chromed interior with black gauge/cupholder rings

- JCW Carbon fibre gearknob

- JCW Carbon fibre handbrake grip

- Front Speakers - Focal 165V 6.5" Components + tweeters.

- Rear Speakers - Focal 690CA 6x9's

- 10" Kenwood subwoofer

- Auto Acoustics Stealth Box

- Kenwood amp for subwoofer

- Pioneer AVH-P5000DVD motorised DVD screen with Bluetooth and iPod integration

- 30gb ipod video + 30gb iphone 3GS connected to the DVD player

- Scanguage 2

Exterior:

- Orranje Performance Rear Bumper GP Style Inserts -Black

- Orranje Performance GP Style Spoiler

- Orranje Performance Brake Ducts

- Orranje Performance GP Style Rear bumper trim

- Front Aero Bumper

- Aero Sideskirts

- Joey modded headlights - All black

- Colour Coded Aero Grills

- Colour Coded Headlight Rings

- Black side vents

- Black Wing Mirror Caps

- Black De-locked door handles

- Colour Coded Custom Cooper Petrol Cap

- Rear Road Legal Pressed Metal Number Plates from Dubmeister

- Offset front numberplate on a custom removable mount

- De-badged rear end

- Rear Wiper Delete

- Entire exterior de-chromed including gloss black belt line and rear lights

My current MINI Clubman JCW

Latest Pictures:

Exterior:

14500575357_a24d0d04ce_b.jpg

Engine bay:

14646653225_d32753d979_o.jpg

Plasma Coils fitted by tweedbean, on Flickr

Interior:

9531705646_6b5465f85d_o.jpg

New Gauges by tweedbean, on Flickr

14266179181_99d4879858_o.jpg

Clubland-25 by miniFOO UK, on Flickr

Current/Future Spec:

Exterior

- Orranje Vented A Panels

- M7 Ram Bonnet Scoop

- MINI Sports Aerial

- LED Sidelights to match xenons

- Silvertec side repeaters and front indicators

- Tinted rear upper brake light

- CC'd headlight Rings

- CC'd JCW Grill

- CC'd Door Handles

- Gloss Black Belt Line

- Gloss Back joey modded headlights

- Yellow Side Lights

- Cooper Petrol Cap

- Park Distance Control

- JCW body kit

- Larger facelift JCW front lip

- Black JCW Brake Ducts

Interior

- Scanguage2

- Newministuff Channel Swap

- Battle Performance DuellAg inspired mph Dial faces

- JCW Recaro CS Sportsters in alcantara with half leather trim

- JCW Carbon Fibre/alcantara Gearknob

- JCW Carbon Fibre/alcantara Handbrake Grip

- LG trimming half leather/half alcantara door arm rests with red stitch detail

- LG trimming half leather/half alcantara colourline dash with red stitch detail

- LG trimming Alcantara gear knob and handbrake gaiters with red stitch detail

- LG trimming Alcantara centre arm rest

- Full Bluetooth with USB

- Chrome Line interior

Engine and Drivetrain

- Factory JCW so car already has JCW exhaust and manifold, JCW air box, JCW turbo etc

- AEM Cold Air Intake

- Saikou Michi dual catch can

- Evolve Decat

- Evolve V2 Black Intercooler

- Ignition Project Plasma Coils

- Kav's carbon clutch

- GFB DV+ BOV

- P-Torque remap - 270 bhp/236.9 whp and peak torque was 283.1lb/ft.

Suspension and Brakes

- AEM Strut Brace

- JCW Brembo brakes

- Ferodo DS2500 350z pads

- BC Coilovers

- BC Front Drop Links

- Powerflex (PFF5-201) Front Wishbone rear bushes

Wheels and Tyres

- Volk Racing CE28n in mint condition, Rays Gold finish with all oem stickers, Magnesium Forged & Very Light. 17x7.5, ET43

- Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta 215 40 17

Wow, that's quiet a list of mods, I expect an equally long list once you finally make the jump across ;)

Welcome to the club by the way, looks like your local to me as Balsall Common is my local Subaru dealer too, though I went for a Toyota instead for various reason, mainly because at the time, the waiting time for a BRZ was about 9months.

Common, you know it makes sense :D

I don't miss mini ownership, but I do pine for more power on occasions. The lak of decent midrange is something you will undoubtedly miss, but above 4500rpm it doesn't feel that slow (unless you are on track doing all the hard work in the corners / being held up until you get onto a straight and said car drives away again lol)

Wow, that's quiet a list of mods, I expect an equally long list once you finally make the jump across ;)

Welcome to the club by the way, looks like your local to me as Balsall Common is my local Subaru dealer too, though I went for a Toyota instead for various reason, mainly because at the time, the waiting time for a BRZ was about 9months.

Common, you know it makes sense :D

Well, we did live in Balsall Common, we then moved last year to Rugby, then next year we plan to move back to Hampton In Arden/Balsall Common.  Long story lol.

If I go GT86/BRZ, I will be modifying it, I like to go for a mix of show and go. 

I think if you make the jump and you boost it with a S/C or Turbo you will feel right at home with it and have more fun than you had in the JCW. Lovely cars though and it looks like you look after it!

I am hoping its a different driving experience, better will be a bonus as the MINI is going to take some beating.  As I have only ever owned FWD cars, im looking for something different and I am hoping RWD can deliver this.  Hence why I wouldnt up the power straight away as I would like to take some time to get used to RWD first. 

I don't miss mini ownership, but I do pine for more power on occasions. The lak of decent midrange is something you will undoubtedly miss, but above 4500rpm it doesn't feel that slow (unless you are on track doing all the hard work in the corners / being held up until you get onto a straight and said car drives away again lol)

Lee have you got any plans to go FI at some point or are you keeping it simple with this one?

I'm a new owner and after lots of front wheels drive performance cars can confirm that the GT/BRZ are really great fun!

Ok they are down on power for your fast dual carriage ways and motorway driving but on a good twisty A road they are a hoot.

It's possible to stay with cars that are a lot more powerful and it does surprise them when they might leave you on a straight and then you catch up through the bends...

As many on the forum members have gone FI I'm sure you'll have an opportunity to try out the extra performance before you take the plunge.

My car has had a map and air filter only but is noticeably quicker than standard and I would recommend that as a first stage if your unsure about spending big bucks straight away.

All the best with your decision.

John

My next move is to book a test drive at Toyota in the next few weeks which will answer most of my questions around getting a gt86, I then need to find out what's happening with our house move then the planning begins for early next year, don't look forward to the part out on he mini as there is a lot of bits to remove. :)

My next move is to book a test drive at Toyota in the next few weeks which will answer most of my questions around getting a gt86, I then need to find out what's happening with our house move then the planning begins for early next year, don't look forward to the part out on he mini as there is a lot of bits to remove. :)

You'll need to find an enthusiastic sales person who knows how this type of car has to be driven on a test drive so you get get the full picture.

Lots of low mileage used cars appearing now.

You'll need to find an enthusiastic sales person who knows how this type of car has to be driven on a test drive so you get get the full picture.

Lots of low mileage used cars appearing now.

Will I not just get given the keys to go for a test drive by myself?  Both BMW and Range Rover gave us the keys for 2 hour test drives last week as we need a new family 4x4 aswell.

Will I not just get given the keys to go for a test drive by myself? Both BMW and Range Rover gave us the keys for 2 hour test drives last week as we need a new family 4x4 aswell.

On my experience no. I went on two test drives both with a sales rep with me. Luckily he liked to oversteer in his drive out so I did the same

On my way out today, I stopped off at Toyota Coventry and they didnt have one single GT86 from what I could see in the show room and out the front.  I was in a bit of a rush so I didn't bother speaking to anyone.  Toyota Solihull didn't have one either.  Do they only tend to sell them in certain dealerships?

Quite surprised that the Cov dealership didn't have one in, that's where I got mine from and every time I've been in, they had one day in the dealership. When I test drove one, they only had an auto but they brought one over from the Stratford branch I think a week later for me to try (after I had ordered the car even). I popped into the Subaru Balsall Common branch last monday and they had a blue outside, it was the new 2015 model but don't know if it was a demo or show car.

A pending house move earlier 2015 will delay me getting a GT86 until early summer 2015 which gives me plenty of time to make a shoppping list of what I want and gives me time to get to a few events with you lot to decide what colour I want :)  Currently considering white, orange, red and dark silver.

I will be keeping an eye out for events in early 2015 which I will try and get to, especially if they are midlands based.  

So the clubby is looking a little different right now, from this, one of my shots from a magazine feature recently:

15621383636_e25200c006_o.jpgTweedbean MM-2090739 by miniFOO UK, on Flickr

To this:

16535552641_9cd4de0246_o.jpg2009 fJCW Clubman by tweedbean, on Flickr

The car has been fully parted out and back to stock, which can mean only one thing, I am getting ready for a new project :)  I have been to look at a couple of GT86's this week and I have a test drive booked in for Sunday at my local dealership as I havent driven one yet.  I was happy with the interior and exterior look of the car in person so I am hoping the drive lives up to expectations. 

Dont fill your hopes up too much or set high expectations for the test drive. You will find the engine feels quite gutless coming from mini's, and you dont appreciate the car in the fullest with a salesman sat next to you.

The sounds generator sounds very odd on the first couple drives, now I dont notice it. Everything else is pretty good, interior quality isnt as good as mini either.

I still prefer the gt86 to my purple mini though.

Agreed, unlike some people, I wasn't wowed by my test drive, the sales guy did let me floor it a bit but until you are by yourself and you really throw the car around corners, you won't truly appreciate the car for what it is, a true drivers car.