KevinA

Dealership / Toyota Moan

Last week I noticed the nearside headlamp had broken up, the reflector part had broken into several bits. There is no external marks at all. This was several days before fitting my coilovers, the Basingstoke dealer was phoned straight away and they ordered a new headlamp assembly in to be fitted under warranty.

My OH went to the dealership today for fitting of headlamp, to be told as you have modified the car it is not covered. The coilovers were fitted only yesterday with date stamped pictures and a post on this forum, but they still insist it is because of the modification even when it was not on the car when the fault occured. They have now passed it to Toyota Europe for a verdict.

Following that conversation my OH was told as the car is now modified the warranty is completely void, so my confidence in Toyota has completely gone.

Opinions welcome

Kev

What a load of waffle I have a rear diffuser and badge and a few other bits when I got my rear lights changed no problems from my dealer it seems it depends on your dealer is that true?

The dealership have to prove that your modification has caused the damage to be able to reject the warranty claim on those grounds. They also have to prove it was not a manufacturing fault that caused the issue in the first place, from how you've described it with no external damage, I would like to say this is the case.

Hold your ground with it :)

Also different areas have different warranty zones, I.e an aftermarket exhaust system would not effect the paint cover, or the suspension.

The dealer is just trying to get out of having to replace the parts, the cost of which they claim back through TGB who in turn claim it back from the manufacturing plant.

Riceburner (Richard) may also be able to advise on your next steps with the dealer from his point of view as a dealer, mine is from a Quality Engineer for Toyota's point of view, unfortunately I only deal with engines so it wouldn't be me getting called out for this :mellow:

How much is a light? 

Generally speaking>>>

Time starts running from the moment you incurred actionable loss, i.e. when the light broke, not when you fitted the new parts. 

Hi Kev,

From the information you have supplied in your post there is no reason to refuse warranty repairs on a totally unrelated part to that you have modified ie:the suspension has not caused the failure of the headlamp it is a manufacturing defect which is covered.I would have no problem.in my opinion,of submitting a warranty claim.

Last week I noticed the nearside headlamp had broken up, the reflector part had broken into several bits. There is no external marks at all. This was several days before fitting my coilovers, the Basingstoke dealer was phoned straight away and they ordered a new headlamp assembly in to be fitted under warranty.

My OH went to the dealership today for fitting of headlamp, to be told as you have modified the car it is not covered. The coilovers were fitted only yesterday with date stamped pictures and a post on this forum, but they still insist it is because of the modification even when it was not on the car when the fault occured. They have now passed it to Toyota Europe for a verdict.

Following that conversation my OH was told as the car is now modified the warranty is completely void, so my confidence in Toyota has completely gone.

Opinions welcome

Kev

did they not ask to see the car first kev?

did they not ask to see the car first kev?

No they just said as the light was unmarked externally it would be covered under warranty, the other thing I asked to be checked was the airbag light in orange ( lower central display ) stays on. They say it never goes out and lets you know the airbag is activated ?

Mine says air bag 2 is turned off which I think you can do but not anything else. this warranty issue is going to open a can of worms for many issues till the 5 years run out I hope this sorts itself out in your favour

That is ridiculous, Kevin about the warranty. 

The airbag light is always on, it is to indicate it's working. You can of course turn the passenger airbag off for child seats. 

Yeah Kev, that's just bull, there's no reason to deny you your warranty claim on something that you've not actually modified or related to a modification.  I'd either kick off or take your business somewhere else, like Jamie said, dealers get paid to do warranty work so not sure why they'd not do the work unless they've never dealt with modified cars before and are scared that Toyota won't pay them for it.

Yeah Kev, that's just bull, there's no reason to deny you your warranty claim on something that you've not actually modified or related to a modification.  I'd either kick off or take your business somewhere else, like Jamie said, dealers get paid to do warranty work so not sure why they'd not do the work unless they've never dealt with modified cars before and are scared that Toyota won't pay them for it.

Toyota would not have known if the dealer had not told them so annoying why didn't they just fit if?

Toyota came back today and have agreed to replace the headlamp under warranty, however they have excluded them going forward because I have coilovers.

Toyota came back today and have agreed to replace the headlamp under warranty, however they have excluded them going forward because I have coilovers.

No, they think they are excluding them. My dealership has been great, in fact they love my Sprintex and comment on how well it drives.

No, they think they are excluding them. My dealership has been great, in fact they love my Sprintex and comment on how well it drives.

Where do you go to Rob? Just incase I need to pay Toyota a visit in the future

Where do you go to Rob? Just incase I need to pay Toyota a visit in the future

Motorline Gatwick, I normally ask for Robby in the Service department. Speak to the same guy all the time then they tend to be more friendly with you really.

Motorline Gatwick, I normally ask for Robby in the Service department. Speak to the same guy all the time then they tend to be more friendly with you really.

Exactly, I need to get a good contact. My guy who was at Guildford has left :(