Varis Style Carbon Fibre Hood

What would you do  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do

• Keep Carbon
    • Spray white
    • Spray white and leave vents carbon

Hi guys

I have one coming in this month that i'm going to test out on the 86.

Not sure what to do at the moment, Carbon on white cars isn't my favourite look, but then its a shame to paint carbon so toying with the idea of leaving the vents carbon

What do you guys reckon ?

varishood_zpsfd868353.jpg

Leave the vents only carbon, spray the rest white.  There is a picture somewhere on the FT86 Forum with this done, and it looks really good.  Otherwise, get a black GT86 (preferably turbocharged) to test it on  :D

Edit:  Got bored, so found the picture for you:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1397271&postcount=8

But white and carbon fibre go well together....in the right areas (just the fenders being Carbon Fibre sadly doesn't work but roof, boot, bonnet, from lip and any small areas work very well). Ooooooo white bonnet with black vents all the way! But is it me or does that white not look right?

I'm of the same opinion, of all carbon being a bit rice, I reckon I will paint it and leave the vents, then if I don't like it I can just do the vents later.

I could of just got a plastic one which would have been a cheaper option I guess. I will confirm prices once in but they aren't cheap. CF Hood will be £750 ish, plastic version £450 ish, shipping £50 ish, these are all ball park at present.

What are those black oval things at the front of the bonnet? Like the idea of painting and leaving vents carbon but what about those black oval things?

They are the bonnet catches. Most aftermarket CF bonnets don't reuse the original catch.

Problem with vents and a forward sloping bonnet is that, when it rains and you're parked up, you get a soggy engine...

I like the idea of 'lifting' the rear of our bonnet and venting it there... bottom of windscreen...

Spec K

Problem with vents and a forward sloping bonnet is that, when it rains and you're parked up, you get a soggy engine...

I like the idea of 'lifting' the rear of our bonnet and venting it there... bottom of windscreen...

Spec K

I've been looking into this since fitting the Sprintex to allow so heat to escape, haven't come across much as of yet...

I've been looking into this since fitting the Sprintex to allow so heat to escape, haven't come across much as of yet...

We had alot of discussion for this on the 16vminiclub.com,  fitting bigger engines in tight spaces and problems with over heating,   some people thought it would help reduce engine bay temps.

Some smart people involved with race teams with wind tunnels and all the other stuff did some tests and it turned out raising the rear edge of the bonnet did naff all if anything made engine bay temps slightly worse(hotter)  it only did anything when the car was static and at that not much.

Cant find the thread now but il keep looking :) 

I would say that even these vents on the varis is only for looks and wouldnt do anything for engine bay temps im afraid

We had alot of discussion for this on the 16vminiclub.com,  fitting bigger engines in tight spaces and problems with over heating,   some people thought it would help reduce engine bay temps.

Some smart people involved with race teams with wind tunnels and all the other stuff did some tests and it turned out raising the rear edge of the bonnet did naff all if anything made engine bay temps slightly worse(hotter)  it only did anything when the car was static and at that not much.

Cant find the thread now but il keep looking :)

I would say that even these vents on the varis is only for looks and wouldnt do anything for engine bay temps im afraid

This^^^^

Raising the rear edge of the bonnet changes increases the "swirling" at the trailing edge increasing the air pressure in the area making it harder for the warm, under bonnet air to escape.

If you extended the bonnet trailing edge so it was closer to the windscreen and reduced the angle they intersect at you'd get the desired effect

or to cool your engine, put either a scooby scoop on the bonnet,   or ive got a 2" hole drill that you can borrow for the front edge :)  done at your own risk tho  :ph34r:

Spec K

Exactly what I doing on Friday. Bonnet rear raisers. So cheap too. And better air flow. Done a test with actually de attaching the bolts and placing a dyno fan up front. Used my friend shop. You can feel the air push out from under the raised bonnet. May not work on minis but does on our cars. : )

Exactly what I doing on Friday. Bonnet rear raisers. So cheap too. And better air flow. Done a test with actually de attaching the bolts and placing a dyno fan up front. Used my friend shop. You can feel the air push out from under the raised bonnet. May not work on minis but does on our cars. : )

But the car wasn't moving forward when you done that test, Forcing air through with Fans is totally different to creating Aero / pressure spots when the car is travelling at 60+ mph. 

Also they look ridiculous. A bonnet should be flush. Not look like it doesn't shut properly. IMO.