Tarmac

Varis Style Carbon Fibre Hood

What would you do  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do

• Keep Carbon
    • Spray white
    • Spray white and leave vents carbon

Jay i think your pic is for looks. As there is no way you get air flow to the engine bay through thoses ducts or out of it. Look at the fender then look in your engine bay no holes. Unless you drill.

Air flows through simple. Whether you blow as hard as you can, use a oriental fan, a dyno fan or doing 60mph the air goes through. Also giving heat somewhere to go.. Your not raising it like a full blown drift car or time attack car just a few mm, just enough. Also I think it looks cool... Real tuner look! And me got great taste ; ) (ask spec k) hehe

As for a carbon bonnet, I'd only buy one for looks as there is hardly no difference in weight to a stock aluminium hood. Save 0.2 0.3 or there abouts! So I will buy one eventually, probs the stock looking one as Keith says its England and it pisses it down like one mans business.

I don't know if just having vents on the wings will just be enough or do anything at all as I can't picture there being enough airflow through the engine bay and out of these vent, the wheel arch trim and the suspension mounting points with the backing around that all kind of obstructed the flow, there might be some gaps but I don't know how sufficient they will be....then again I could be completely wrong but this is what I've gathered from the pictures I've seen of what's underneath the front wings, e.g. 

DSC04679.jpg

But I'm looking at getting some custom front wings with side vents on so we'll see.

Do people really know that the under bonnet temperatures are an issue? Or are we just thinking it's an issue? 

I think its a mix of someone telling them so to get a sale of some sort or paranoia...

I think air temp in the engine bay is an issue. Not on road and not for n/a - I think this only affects f/I cars, especially turbo cars with intercooler/oil cooler mounted in front of the water rad. My intake pipe gets bloody hot.... but then again I probably do more hard trackwork than anyone else.. ( 'cos I need the practice..).

Adrian has removed his bottom on the GT86R.... err, I mean his bottom undertray.... which has to be good for cooling but the downside could be the effect on airflow under the car. Doesn't seem to affect him though...

Spec K

I think air temp in the engine bay is an issue. Not on road and not for n/a - I think this only affects f/I cars, especially turbo cars with intercooler/oil cooler mounted in front of the water rad. My intake pipe gets bloody hot.... but then again I probably do more hard trackwork than anyone else.. ( 'cos I need the practice..).

Adrian has removed his bottom on the GT86R.... err, I mean his bottom undertray.... which has to be good for cooling but the downside could be the effect on airflow under the car. Doesn't seem to affect him though...

Spec K

I don't think its an issue.. Again even athletes need good ventilation. Just improving grandmas recipe ; )

As for sales I look at what pro teams do and question why. Research leads to valid reason. It costs a 5er for hood raisers so I'm not loosing out and its only a couple if bolts. Just hope I bought the right ones. Hehe

I don't think its an issue.. Again even athletes need good ventilation. Just improving grandmas recipe ; )

As for sales I look at what pro teams do and question why. Research leads to valid reason. It costs a 5er for hood raisers so I'm not loosing out and its only a couple if bolts. Just hope I bought the right ones. Hehe

I thought you're temps were supposed to be really low now 'Cool to the touch' does it really get that hot still?

I thought you're temps were supposed to be really low now 'Cool to the touch' does it really get that hot still?

Because this is not our tread I don't really want to encroach on tarmac sports, but I'm compelled to answer this once.

So No mate I'm running cooler obviously. But its set at 6 psi and is only designed to be used when your in attack mode ie above 6 psi of boost. There is no problem temps to begin with as the sprintex system is probably the best s.c kit out there (in my opinion), I just put a cap on max temps is all which is much lower than stock. I've done it not because I need to its because I wanted to. The kit is perfect without spray, I just want to be different.

There is no need to spray constantly just when I want it (not need it) like on very hard pulls etc. Everyday driving don't even use it as I shift before 3k well before the 6psi mark.

The hood raise is more for static heat dissipation and heat in general. Imagine you just parked up then you open your hood, what do you feel all that trapped hot air hit you in the face. The raisers just address the heat by giving it some where to go. .

So to that point I feel the carbon hood will be good as it has functional vents. It looks good, we all like a bit of carbon and it will save a very tiny bit of weight. As for rain issues it should be fine Christian runs his turbo car with one with even more vents.. Rain itself would do nothing to the engine, only down side it makes the engine very dirty indeed as the rain will push all the dirt on your hood into your engine bay,see it fir myself, just one to think about tarmac sports.

PS I bought the wrong raisers but I drilled bigger holes into them and wa la they are on. Only down side, to an untrained eye it looks like I had a crash and repaired the front but left the back bonnet as it was hehe. Function over form I hope on this one. If not take em out in 5 mins. See those of u that will attend the dyno day. Would love to see the tarmac car in the flesh. Looks awesome in pics. Well thought of car mate. : )

as the sprintex system is probably the best s.c kit out there, 

You've extensively test and driven all other Supercharged cars out there then? 

Because in my opinion out of all the SC cars i've driven. And I believe it's all types that are in the UK. 

In my opinion it's not the best one out there. 

Now opinion is fine, and you're allowed to state what kits are the best. If you have driven all other SC cars! And not just going the fact it's the one installed on your car....

Just because it's the one most people have / the most accessible one in the UK, does not make it 'the best'. 

Anyway, this is not our thread. So we'll leave it at that.

You've extensively test and driven all other Supercharged cars out there then?

Because in my opinion out of all the SC cars i've driven. And I believe it's all types that are in the UK.

In my opinion it's not the best one out there.

Now opinion is fine, and you're allowed to state what kits are the best. If you have driven all other SC cars! And not just going the fact it's the one installed on your car....

Just because it's the one most people have / the most accessible one in the UK, does not make it 'the best'.

Anyway, this is not our thread. So we'll leave it at that.

Its called home work jay.. It took me 6 months of deliberation to choose which root to go. All forums in the states went towards the innovate kit. And they are ahead in terms of a car club and knowledge than us. .I looked at rotrex, innovate, vortech and hks. All tuners pointed at the innovate. And yes it was my opinion as is everything on here. Don't believe me use google : )

For argument sake your opinion is right. Your fact is gospel lad.

So we shall leave it at that.

I think air temp in the engine bay is an issue. Not on road and not for n/a - I think this only affects f/I cars, especially turbo cars with intercooler/oil cooler mounted in front of the water rad. My intake pipe gets bloody hot.... but then again I probably do more hard trackwork than anyone else.. ( 'cos I need the practice..).

Spec K

But even if it gets hot it still doesn't mean it's an issue and what's hot really? There will be plenty of air flowing in the engine bay, I'd be surprised if it's an issue. 

The way I look at it, it ain't broken why worry about fixing it? 

As for bonnet raisers, they look terrible, IMO but personal taste and all that. 

I'm all for improving things if they need doing, but I'm really not convinced on this one. 

Just a thought but if the airflow exits underneath the car, raising the rear of the bonnet will disrupt this and make it worse. 

Just as an example years ago I did some experimenting with intercooling on a MK1 MR2 Supercharger. Some people tried pushing air down from the top using a snorkel type arrangement. However the air flow was from underneath and went up through the intercooler exiting on the engine lid where there was  low pressure area. 

So effectively by trying to push air down onto the intercooler from the top you were stalling the air flow. It was much better to utilise the updraught from underneath the car and out of the top of the engine lid as that was the way the air wanted to flow. 

Not going to try and discuss this on here, but would love to chat about it at a meet with anybody interested. Having done extensive testing on a 700 bhp turbo engine with the help of an F1 engineer. Trust me under bonnet temperatures are very relevant on forced induction set ups.

Not going to try and discuss this on here, but would love to chat about it at a meet with anybody interested. Having done extensive testing on a 700 bhp turbo engine with the help of an F1 engineer. Trust me under bonnet temperatures are very relevant on forced induction set ups.

I agree 100%

But even if it gets hot it still doesn't mean it's an issue and what's hot really? There will be plenty of air flowing in the engine bay, I'd be surprised if it's an issue. 

The way I look at it, it ain't broken why worry about fixing it? 

As for bonnet raisers, they look terrible, IMO but personal taste and all that. 

I'm all for improving things if they need doing, but I'm really not convinced on this one. 

Well, I'm going to have to do something. Crawling up the M1 to Millbrook on Friday night - 20mph on a motorway, aaargh! - I could smell the heat... water temp looked okay, oil temp at 90..

...then the tickover dropped to near-stall speed, sounded like she was firing on two cylinders, and the engine warning light came on.. autoblip stopped functioning (which had me worried) but Keethos tells me this is likely to be a 'safety feature'  prompted by the warning light mode... went back to normal after our overnight stop at Milton Keynes...

The 'near-stall' symptom has happened a couple of times during the past week (again, always in traffic when stationary or crawling) but Friday was the first time the eml lit up.

My suspicion is that this is to do with intake temp or fuel vaporising - but I could be totally wrong. Must be worth RRG doing a fault code check when I'm up there on 3rd or, If Fensport can fit me in, hoof up there this week...

Spec K

Can you please create another thread to discuss this? this topic is about a carbon bonnet, not bonnet risers and airflow...

Sorry Rob - didn't spot your comment until after I'd replied...

Spec K