Lauren

Japan trip 2014

Okay, flights are booked, we jet off on the 22nd July and come back on the 5th August!

This is a trip of a lifetime, so we are looking at a couple of nights of acclimatisation in Tokyo before taking advantage of the week train pass that is avaiable to foreigners. It works out at around £161 each and you can use nearly all the trains, including the bullet trains, though not the fastest one which I'm guessing wil cost extra.

We haven't finalised a route yet, but we want to go to Hiroshima to see all the peace memorials. We are toying with stopping in at Kobe for a night, to try some very nice steak! Given the speed of the trains, it looks like covering distance is not a problem.

We need to work out how far we can get round in a week. So that is all to be decided.

For the second week, we are doing car stuff. We are looking at hiring an AE86 via 7 tune who take you on a guided tour of the Touge over 100kms. There might be an opportunity to drive a Hakosuka over a certain part of the mountain roads, which I may have to do as well.

I'm trying to see if I can get a factory tour at Gunma where the GT86 is made.

We are going to visit the Toyota museum in Nagoya.

Also we are of course going to Eight-six day which is at Fuji Speedway on the 3rd August.

I'm hoping to visit some tuner garages, Autobacs and also to go and see some drifting.

So much to plan, but am now very excited! :)

Any tips on things to do and see would be welcome.

take an empty suitcase to bring all those jdm goodies home

If I buy anything I'll ship it back. I do have a budget for buying parts, but really we'll see. I'd love to find a decent set of wheels for the AE86. 

Bit of an update! 

Quick update. All hotels bar two nights booked. 

My Japanese friend from Tein UK has organised a factory tour at the Subaru main Gunma plant where the GT86 is made. Bit of a holy grail this one as we have an individual tour with hopefully an English guide. This is not easy to do and when I asked Toyota GB they gave up pretty easily. 

Also have a factory tour at Tein to finalise.  

My Irish friends are arranging for me to go pop into Kids Heart in Nagoya but really you can just turn up at the tuner garages and look enthusiastic and be polite which apparently works quite well. 

I have also another Japanese friend, who owns an AE86 and lives in Odaiba who is going to be a guide for us and there is of course another Irish friend who lives in Tokyo who is hopefully going to sort out a visit to some tuner garages. 

We will of course be going to 8-6 day on the third, I'm trying to work out if we can convoy in with some of my Japanese Facebook friends. We'll see. 

We will hopefully do the Initial Drive with 7 tune over the mountain passes that influenced Initial D. I would be doing this in an AE86 and a further drive in a Hakosuka is planned. If only I can get a reply from 7tune!

In terms of hire cars we are seeing if we can hire a GT86 from Toyota rentacar. Fingers crossed on that one, it's looking good! :)

We are on bullet trains for the first week. 

Itinery so far:
Tokyo x2 nights.
Nagoya, Toyota museum, Kids Heart, Garage Defend and Mind Control x1 night.
Hiroshima, peace gardens. x1 night.
Kyoto, Ryokan hotel x1 night.
Travel back to Yokohama and get hire car for drive up to Gunma main plant for GT86 factory tour.

After that we have a week in Yokohama. We will aim to get out to some more tuner garages. Thinking Tec Arts, RWB and Liberty Walk. 

It's starting to come together! :)

On thing I was going to ask though who are the GT86 tuners to see in Japan? I just don't know any really. 

Don't worry, Mark will be filming with his Go Pro and camcorder and I will be taking lots of pics if I can get my new camera by then. We are staying within a five minute walk of the peace memorial in Hiroshima. It looks like there is a whole park dedicated to all that happened on that day as well as other stuff. From what I gather it will take us all afternoon to get round it. :)

I'm also going to add Carland to the Kyoto stopover as it's a very famous AE86 garage. 

DSC01986.jpg

I would like to go see some GT86 tuners though as well, but need to work out who. 

looking forward to that related to similar things a story I was told hope you find it interesting. I was on the deck of the USS Missouri now in Pearl Harbor and was talking to a guide. during the 2nd world war the ship was being attacked by kamakazi. one came up the side of the ship and crashed over the deck however it did not explode so the crew decided to push it over into the sea.the captain told them to remove the pilot who had not survived and the crew did so though he was the enemy the wanted to give him a proper burial at sea and 2 crew members stayed up all night and made a Japanese flag and the following morning the event took place. I thought just a story to spice up thinks but the guide took me to the side of the ship and showed me the dent the plane made the only damage the ship had in its long years of service.the crew noted 1 thing when they pushed the plane over it had Firestone tyres on it. hope this has not bored you all but what a story

Lauren - what would really interest me would be to find someone out there (or anywhere!) who has done some proper aerodynamic research on a GT86 rear wing/spoiler... substance over form...

Spec K

Aww, beautiful! I'm on the verge of booking flights for May 2015 for about 3-4 weeks (I'll be renting an apartment for the four weeks and staying in Minshuku style lodgings while doing longer tours out and about). I'd be very interested in seeing how you get on with all this! As I'll be travelling alone I need to fit in as much as I can! :D

That's probably a good way to do it as Minshuku is like a B&B or smaller family run places, so good value. I must admit I'd be a little daunted about going on my own. Very brave! :)

nah you'll love it, the language isn't too hard to pick up (unlike chinese) and loads of Japanese will want to practice their English on you

Reading stuff in Kanji, now that's where it gets difficult  :huh:

Alec (ichi-ban henna gaijin 1988-1989)

If you are in Yokohama/Kanagawa You are in one of the most densely populated tuner areas.

Unlimited Works

Garage HRS

G Force

Auto gallery Yokohama

Crystal Body Yokohama (CBY)

Weld

Okuyama

Kunnyz

Suivax/Vertex/T&E

Do Luck

PROVA

Midori Seibi

Revolfe

R Magic

I guess Prova and CBY might be more interesting from a 86/BRZ perspective. There's a good Autobacs store in "Minato mirai" also.

Maz, we are staying at the Intercontinental Grand which is about half a km from Autobacs so we will be popping in there. 

Thanks for the heads up about CBY and Prova, we knew Yokohama was well placed for tuners and will be our base so we will do trips out to these two. 

But we will look at other shops too.  There is just so much to do! Thanks for that. :)