Lauren

Japan trip 2014

If I see anything in regard to that Keith, I'll let you know. It's going to be a bit pot luck with tuners though, we'll just drop in on them and see what happens.

The thing is I would expect that it would have to be a pretty serious tuner to be able to undertake the expense of wind tunnel testing. So I'm not sure how I'd find out about it.

If you know of any tuners then maybe I could visit them?

Based in Suzuka? 

It looks close to Nagoya which we are visiting, but there are some classic tuners also in this area. We have a pretty tight schedule and will be doing the Toyota museum as a priority. We won't have a car at this point either. 

Thanks to a tip off from a Japanese friend, we are now driving up to Ikaho which is where Initial D was set. Mount Harunasan which is of course Mount Akina in Initial D. There are a lot of settings you can visit which the manga was based on. There is even a museum with the front of the original Fujiwara Tofu Shop complete with sign and obligatory AE86 next to it:

fujiwaratofushopmuseum.jpg

We can also drive the touge on 'Mount Akina'. Unfortunately it now has speed humps. :(

But I'll bet we'll find some good roads before heading over to Mount Fuji for our next stop. Reckon there might so much Initial D stuff that it may be worth a further day trip out from Yokohama. :)

Okay not long to go now and we are fairly sorted. There are a few things that didn't work out, but more of that later.

Our intinerary is as follows;

2 nights in Tokyo to start with. We know this isn't enough but we will likely day trip from Yokohama at the end other end of the trip.

From there we start using our train pass to go to Nagoya. We will experience the full might of the rush hour with our 6.53am train from Shinjuku station which might be a bit crazy. Here we will visit the Toyota museum which should be pretty cool. If we have time we will try and fit in a trip to the famous Carland where there are some rather nice AE86's.

The next day another bullet train and we go to Hiroshima. We are staying near the peace gardens, so will do that, but doubt we'll have much time to explore much beyond that. Maybe some nice beer and relax.

Then it's on the Nozomi (fastest bullet train) to Kyoto where we are staying at a Ryokan hotel, so traditional Japanese style. These are really supposed to be smaller family run inns, but we are staying in a posh one so to speak.

The next day is a bit mental as we will have to take the train to Yokohama, pick up a GT86 hire car and drive 100 miles to Gunma. Again another Ryokan hotel set in the mountains with hot springs. This will on Mount Haruna which was of course immortalised in the Initial D where it is called Mount Akina (Home of the Akina Speedstars!).

We have a factory tour at Subaru, but unfortunately this doesn't include the GT86/BRZ, which I'm a little bit gutted about. So we will get to see various other Subarus being built.

We are hoping to have a little time to take in the Initial D locations and drive Mount Haruna on the Touge even if it does have speedhumps now.

From there we have a long drive over the mountains to Mount Fuji where we are staying in a hotel on Lake Yamanaka with a view of Mount Fuji.

The next day we drive to Yokohama, maybe taking in some of Odawara and the mountain train.

Then we have 6 days in Yokohama to do various things. We couldn't get a Tein factory tour in the end and contacts with Japanese Facebook friends has not been as helpful as I might have hoped, so we have nothing planned apart from 86 day at Fuji on Sunday the 3rd August.

We will go to Super Autobacs, likely spend another day in Tokyo and also do some driving around the Hakone area for more Initial D heritage. We were going to hire an AE86 and Hakosuka from Initial Drive (7 Tune) but they've been totally useless so I've given up on that. So we'll drive it in the GT86 instead.

We do of course expect to find other areas of interest so having a bit of flexibility to change our plans in Yokohama is probably a good thing. :)

That's a bummer Lauren but it's still guna be EPIC!!!  Still jealous.....I wonder how much it costs extra to bring back over sized luggage?  Someone suggested going to Japan for a trip while bringing back a body kit as oversized luggage rather than shipping it back :P

Twas a bit of a shame. Was a bit of a mix up when Yukiko booked it. To be fair she's done a lot more than Toyota GB seemed to want to do, but maybe we'll try some gentle persuasion to get a peek at the GT86/BRZ factory when we are there. 

I'm also a little relieved I haven't filled every day in Yokohama with stuff as it gives as more flexibility for whether we feel like going and driving some Touges or getting the train into Tokyo or exploring Yokohama for an alcoholic afternoon. :)

Blog has been updated for day one. :)

Had an entirely bizarre experience today, we went to a 'Maid Cafe' in Akihabara which is 'Electric Town', so a geek wonderland for Mark. 

Yes we were the lucky ones to get called on stage to make meow noises and do bonkers hand gestures and clap like school girls. 

I think Mark was a little scared of it all, but what a totally bizarre experience! 

10547642_10152138481426467_3919729203916

Meow, meow! 

LOL! 

It did feel a bit brave going in there. All good fun. Nothing on video I'm afraid, Keith, no filming or pictures whilst in the maid cafe, but they liked us so they took pictures with us on polaroid then decorated them for us! 

Nagoya tomorrow morning on the Shinkansen bullet train, first class of course! :)

The Japanese love a Gaijin to take part, went to Tokyo Disneyland and went on the Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour with my Japanese Girlfriend, Aya. About 40 of us on the tour but only one gaijin so I got volunteered by all the rest and our guide to wave the magical light up plastic sword at the evil magician at the end.

He promptly collapses then from a treasure chest I'm presented with my Official Disneyland Tokyo Hero medal (had to kneel down so he could reach :D )

disneymedal.jpg

Happened all the time I was there, they just want to get you involved in whatever is going on

More getting involved here https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.416563724142.192862.601834142&type=1&l=fab225e821

Best place I've ever visited/lived, take every opportunity you get, do it all !

Alec

Well we have now escaped the madness of Tokyo and perhaps like London, it's the kind of place I enjoy in little bites. There is some relief to be heading out into the country at 150mph towards Nagoya on the Shinkansen as I type. :)

Today, the Toyota Automobile Museum. 

Japan is in the middle of a heat wave at the moment, 35C but with 93% humidity and it's the humidity that is the killer. Anything above 25C and I'm in pain so we're suffering big time. Mind you the locals look like they've had enough of it too. Fingers crossed it cools soon. Lots of wam winds inbound from the south in part due to a tropical storm over the Phillipines. 

I guess you can tell why Air Con was a standard item in most Japanese cars since the 80's now eh? Keep cool and enjoy the trip. Sorry I couldn't get that factory tour sorted for you in the end, turns out there's lots of weird red tape around getting people into the factories... :(

Yes, totallty understand that aircon is essential here! When will this heatwave end, it was 38C here yesterday, just totally exhausted by it which isn't made easier when you've got a big rucksack on your back! Don't worry Maz, thanks for your efforts, tis very much appreciated. I'm beginning to realise that it is not a straightforward thing to ask for such favours as it would seem tha the Japanese are sticklers for following rules, which will inevitably get in the way.

We went to the Toyota musuem yesterday (as my FB shows!), no GT86 content but it was very cool indeed. :)

Lovin the write ups it great to read, when were in Vegas on the way back we stopped off on way to LA was 40C and LA was 36/37 to hot for us really as you say it's tiring when your not used to it, already though sounds a great trip.

A trip to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum. Sobering stuff and adds very well with my trips to Berlin and Amsterdam, following the history of WWII. 

10505321_10152142770471467_3862945825587

Went to a Teppen yaki restaurant this evening and had the most amazing food. Hiroshima Beef it was called, Kobe style, just wow, which was part of a six course meal. 

10565208_10152142816616467_5975116742282