Lauren

Japan trip 2014

Just did the Hakone Skyline and after a few navigational errors we made it to the Toyo Tires Turnpike. 

10565059_10152149846306467_6459218102448

Stability control off, pay the toll and away you go. We didn't see any other cars on the way up till we stopped at the viewpoint. It's all second gear up and down to the redline with every bend a hairpin. 

The Toyo Tires Turnpike was much faster and was downhill. I admit I just ignored the 50km/h speed limit and went for it. That was until approaching some bend at around 160km/h to find I had no brakes! Err, slightly scary moment. I went around another corner, yep no brakes so pulled in just about to a small car park to see smoke rising from both sides of the front wing! Oops! 

Okay after two minutes they had stopped smoking, but you get the idea:

994462_10152149707201467_692101769349785

Was amazing fun though. Even went Irish for a minute and did a few donuts in the car park (it was remote). What we noticed at any turning point there was just loads of circular lines everywhere where people just donut, I'm guessing. Also slower cars just get out of your way, reckon this road is famous for having a play. Crazy, mental fun and it felt like it was the kind of place where you can just let rip and nobody minds. :)

On Hakone Skyline at the viewing point. 

10427239_10152149629896467_5229085114763

I've just caught up on the blog been a silly week I've had a car seven days and spent 24hours in it so far and a similar amount at the datacenter. It's a great antidote to what is turning into a bumpy week :)

I don't see myself as Japan enthusiast, though your blog is written in away that makes me thing you know maybe I should go have a look, sure you don't work for their tourist board? Love Japan Demon Tweeks :)

The Hakone Skyline is that unrestricted speed or a scenic drive that has become a bit well driver orientated?

I've just caught up on the blog been a silly week I've had a car seven days and spent 24hours in it so far and a similar amount at the datacenter. It's a great antidote to what is turning into a bumpy week :)

I don't see myself as Japan enthusiast, though your blog is written in away that makes me thing you know maybe I should go have a look, sure you don't work for their tourist board? Love Japan Demon Tweeks :)

The Hakone Skyline is that unrestricted speed or a scenic drive that has become a bit well driver orientated?

I think all the Japanese toll roads are normal roads as far as speed limits are concerned (no nurburgring !) so its up to you if you want to risk it

Hi Paul, the Hakone Skyline has a 50km/h speed limit but I chose to ignore it. Ditto with the Toyo Tires Turnpike where I saw speeds in excess of 170km/h. Slower cars simply pull over for you. You could say it's famous for being a drives road and where people likely go to street race at night. 

Everyone in Japan keeps to the speed limits and so do I, apart from the odd exception. I think people accept that rather than having the police patrolling it just to stop you having fun like they would in the UK. 

I haven't had time to update the blog, just got back from a 200 mile round trip to Gunma hitting Tokyo traffic both ways not helped by a late start due to a flat battery. New battery fitted now, typical Japanese efficiency! 

I've been paying homage to Initial D today. :)

Atop 'Mount Akina' at the start of the downhill waiting for the Speed Stars! 

10576964_10152153881091467_1326411300964

In the Yokota Museum! 

15637_10152153373746467_7834124750506942

Darn you Lauren, all this Initial D talk has finally got me to watch it and I've just blitzed through the whole of First Stage and I was up till half 2 last night finishing it off :(  But it's good :D

Darn you Lauren, all this Initial D talk has finally got me to watch it and I've just blitzed through the whole of First Stage and I was up till half 2 last night finishing it off :(  But it's good :D

Did you watch it in Yanklish or Japanese with subtitles. I strongly recommend the latter, the Yank accents ruin it for me, these are Nihon-jin, they should sound like it !

Alec

Undoubtedly my favourite day in Japan. 

This is when we met with my Japanese friend who knew the top people in the AE86 world. Just fantastic and we had so much fun and even a welcome party! 

Happy days! 

Did you watch it in Yanklish or Japanese with subtitles. I strongly recommend the latter, the Yank accents ruin it for me, these are Nihon-jin, they should sound like it !

Alec

LOL, yeah, any animes I watch has to be in Japanese, I can't stand how bad these people dub them....you'd think that after so many years now that they'd know better and do a better job.....but even then....it still wouldn't be the same.

@Lauren - that is mental, take it you were having a lot of fun that day then  :P