rob275

Why do people lie about mods?

Why would folk lie about their mods? I don't get it ....

Was the question aimed at those who have but dont declare it or those who claim to have done some but haven't?

Why would folk lie about their mods? I don't get it ....

Was the question aimed at those who have but dont declare it or those who claim to have done some but haven't?

The question was regarding people making out they haven't done certain mods on a forum mainly due to them not declaring them. I mean I get it, they haven't declared them so they don't want their insurance company finding out. I guess some insurers do check forums but i'd imagine only in the case of an accident... But is it really that much more? 

Unless there's some other reason, like Steve said they don't feel the need to brag or have a Sig a page long. Can't be anyone on here though most our sigs are around 3-4 lines, shorter than this post infact. 

Pitman you working with the carbon resin without any extraction! Seems your away with the fairies!

don't know what you are on about Mark  :D .  My car is totally standard (in my dreams! :ph34r: )

Rob, it's a bit of an odd question then? Do you declare everything you ever do to anyone? I doubt it. Why? Because you're selective about what you say to certain people. That's human nature. Why should someone have to tell other people on an internet forum what they've done to their car? What's to say it's even hiding facts? Some people like to tell all, some are more private. Are you telling me that the more private people are wrong in being so???? How incredibly discriminating of you.

Most of the people I've met with really interesting cars don't have anything written about them on the internet....

Some people also might not want Toyota finding out in case of warranty. 

FWIW I have declared every modification to my insurance company, even the TRD aero fins. If you do that you'll be alright, why wouldn't you? 

Some people also might not want Toyota finding out in case of warranty. 

FWIW I have declared every modification to my insurance company, even the TRD aero fins. If you do that you'll be alright, why wouldn't you?

This wasn't a case of what's declared to insurers. This was about people not telling other people on the interwebz about their car....

This wasn't a case of what's declared to insurers. This was about people not telling other people on the interwebz about their car....

I've never understood why people lie about mods on a forum? Is it because they don't want their insurers to find out

my first post, why are you getting so defensive? 

When you are younger, insurance is a massive hassle, right? Especially re mods.....

Must say at my age I can now do what I want with little , if any, insurance cost penalty.

Just saying

I think I was misinterpreting the original post, in that I assumed you were refering to those who said they'd done things which they hadn't! I agree, you don't tell everyone everything, and yes there is an element of "bragging" goes on, but you then also have to deal with the wet kipper across the dish when it all goes wrong if you choose to put yourself out there!

I did find the insurance thing a bit of hassle this year, I have to admit. Even at nearly 40!

p.s. thanks Ed!

Just to give my view on the original question.  in my opinion, I belong to both Uk forums, and the US one, because I love my GT86, and yes, I am also proud of how I, with Adrian's help, made it my own.  I love sharing the pleasure I get from my car with others - I have never declined to allow any genuine fellow enthusiast the chance to drive my car, and see no reason why not to share my mods with others on the forum(s).  The fact also remains, the interweb and forums are very open and virtual worlds, and you cannot be selective with what you share, if you join the community.  Stories always get out one way or another, 

Anyway, to all my fellow forum members

happy0180.gif respekt.gif

I've never understood why people lie about mods on a forum? Is it because they don't want their insurers to find out

my first post, why are you getting so defensive? 

Not divulging information is different to lying, thats what I was getting across. It sounds like you're getting angry at people because they won't tell the whole world how they nodded their car, but my point is why should they? Maybe they do have something to hide, but equally they may not. To assume so is jumping to conclusions. Why let it bother you, its not like it's causing you issues.

Steve, I don't think it was anything in particular that caused Rob to start this thread, he often posts up mini rants about things but never really truly has an issue with any of it (you should see some of his facebook rants  :D ).  True, not divulging information is not classed as lying, again, to my understanding, actually lying to peoples faces about who they are and what they've done or flat out saying that they haven't done something when they have is what Rob's ranting at which I totally agree with, why lie about it.  If they want to be private about it no probs, just say so, say that you'd rather not have your mods mentioned online, just like people who don't want their Regs being posted online in photo's.

Well my car has a flux capacitor with 100,000 bhp powered by 10 supercharged fairies, diamond powder brake pads with baby seal skin discs, quantum levitating alloys and a parachute......and the best thing is the insurance company pays me to cover the car!

Dammit! I thought *I* was the only one with this spec.... spec K

When you are younger, insurance is a massive hassle, right? Especially re mods.....

Must say at my age I can now do what I want with little , if any, insurance cost penalty.

Just saying

Thanks for this, Ed, now at least I know I'm not the only one :)