Sign in to follow this  
Loconinja

About to sign on the dotted line

I'm about to commit to a new BRZ SE Lux. Any tips or "things I wish I'd known when I bought mine" that you could post would be gratefully received!E.g. "Get the Toyota" or "If you ask this...you can get a big discount"Cheers, Alex.P.S. I'm in Chiddingfold near Godalming, Guildford. Currently dealing with Bell & Colvill.

Welcome, i'm not far from Guildford myself, I think you should ask for push pins for the rear mudflap holes, but other than that the car is worth every penny. I wouldn't get any paint sealant crap if they offer you it. Can have your car detailed with Gtechnic for the same price. Not a lot else i can think of.But enjoy it when you get it :) what's the waiting like?

Exciting stuff! Well, the head unit (think this is pretty true of both) is not very good, so if you like your music don't go for sat nav as it's cheaper or the same price to buy a very good head unit indeed which will have sat nav on it and you will get better sound to boot of course as well as DAB etc.The leather/alcantara or full leather is absolutely worth it for the heated seats. Couldn't live without them.

Don't listen to Lauren, she's a Woos :P,waste of £1600, done 18000 miles since I got it last August, daily driver all through the winter, never needed heated seatsAlec

Get the Subaru! I'm bias, don't listen to me :32 (13):Don't buy the optional Subaru rear under diffuser. its way over priced and equally good ones are available for a sixth of the price!But seriously - GET THE SUBARU !!!

Exciting stuff! Well' date=' the head unit (think this is pretty true of both) is not very good, so if you like your music don't go for sat nav as it's cheaper or the same price to buy a very good head unit indeed which will have sat nav on it and you will get better sound to boot of course as well as DAB etc.The leather/alcantara or full leather is absolutely worth it for the heated seats. Couldn't live without them.[/quote']Welcome NinjaGood choice on the BRZ :-)As lauren has already said, its worth upgrading the head unit in the BRZ the standard radio is crap. Also the leather/alcantara is standard on the BRZ.What colour you going for?Will

My current car is an Impreza P1 which is brutally fast, but always breaking and I am fed up of spending money on it. I test drove a BRZ a few months ago and although I was a little underwhelmed with the engine, I loved everything else. A session round Spa in a mate's MX5 made me realise that big power is not essential to have lots of fun.The availability of various power upgrades convinced me to go for it, as I will be able to bolt on more power in the future if necessary.

Welcome along dude and you can't go wrong with any choice mate, weather it's a BRZ (though more rare) or a GT86 (a slightly more tail happy car), leather or cloth, Black or Blue! Just like everything mentioned above really!

Don't buy black unless you like cleaning, don't buy blue unless its the BRZ, get the heated seats, test drive the BRZ & GT86 they are not the same car. Oh & welcome to the club :32 (13):

Don't listen to Lauren' date=' she's a Woos :P,waste of £1600, done 18000 miles since I got it last August, daily driver all through the winter, never needed heated seatsAlec[/quote']The seats are nice, I will admit though I havent used the heating element of them at all though... but for £1600 still worth it :)

In terms of the buying process Loco my tips would be the following:1. Look at the current internet broker discounts for the spec you want on a site like Drive The Deal (whose cars come directly from main dealers).2. Do a screen print of the DTD price and take it with you to your local dealer.3. Don't expect to be able to have your broker price matched exactly (dealers have justified extra costs, and at the end of the day dealer netowrks are important), but it gives you a starting position, and you may get close (I did).4. Be careful about what 'extras' you want and are sold. Eg, in my opinion Supagard is a waste of money unless you get it heavily discounted (I did) as often a local detailer with a good rep will do a far better paint seal job if you don't have the time/confidence to do it yourself. Alternatively a few layers of carnuba wax is in my opinion just as good anyway, and an easy/cheap DIY. Alternatively you can get the full Supagard kit on ebay for a fraction of dealer costs (or try the Autoglym Lifeshine as a good - possibly better - alternative).5. The dealer fitted option of an armrest centre console cover is well worthwhile and reasonably cheap (there should be no labour charge). Mudguards are also worth considering as they do keep it a bit cleaner a bit longer.6. Consider GAP insurance, but shop around (and don't pay more than a couple of hundred at the very most for 3 years of cover - you should be able to get it cheaper).7. I think all the colours look good on this car, but a very experienced bodyshop paint sprayer told me that the Toyota pearl white is an absolute bugger to match/blend if you ever need touch up paint repairs, while as has been stated the black is a bugger to keep clean.8. I like leather seats (particularly with any young children in the car who like chocolate!), but at £1,600 for effectively two of them (the back 'seats' don't count!) I think that they are really overpriced. Besides the cloth on the standard seats is actually really nice quality and on a red car in particular the red shoulder inserts in the cloth look great I think. Plus of course cloth is warmer in the winter and less sticky in the summer.9. Practce your smile face muscles before purchase - you'll need them a lot after you drive away :)

Welcome Loco. You can get the centre console armrest from a Toyo dealer - one of the best accessories I've bought. Oh, apart from the brakes, suspension, bracing, turbo, exhaust, wheels and tyres of course.. .... not long now, guys 'n gals.... hope to collect from RRC on Tuesday... then it's Spa on 9th November !! Woo hoo..... :pSpec K

The arm rest is easy to install if you're willing to drill holes into your own interior, checkout CTP (Cheap Toyota Parts), Fensport etc from our traders section or any other source as they''ll probably be cheaper than from a main dealer.

Cheers, I'll look into that.Running in: There are no particular running in procedures from Subaru. What do people recommend?Fuel: 98RON recommended, but "95RON may be used with no detriment to durability or driveability." Do we all use Super Unleaded?

I ran my car in as per the manual which is keep below 4000 rpm for the first 1000 miles, people will argue this day and night that modern cars don't need to but better safe than sorry, plus you're not just running in the engine but all other components too. For the first 500 miles I stayed below 4000 rpm, may have crept over once or twice but after that, I start to give it a bit more revs once the car was properly warmed up but never properly red lined it but that was just me and I know others have done similar.......it's really down to you mate.As for fuel, I try and get super as much as possible but obviously if I can't then just normal 95RON will still be fine, you may lose a bit or performance but you probably won't really notice it. I tend to stick with Tesco's Momentum primarily due to the club points as I have a Tesco credit card too which gives me a bit more.

Welcome Loco. You can get the centre console armrest from a Toyo dealer - one of the best accessories I've bought. Oh, apart from the brakes, suspension, bracing, turbo, exhaust, wheels and tyres of course.. .... not long now, guys 'n gals.... hope to collect from RRC on Tuesday... then it's Spa on 9th November !! Woo hoo..... :pSpec K

Remember this time Keith, start slowly and build up rather than balls out on your first timed lap!Hopefully on a trackday without the incentive of trying to set a good time you can pace yourself you madman! Alec

Welcome! I have come from Impreza-land too, and drove BRZ and GT86 back to back. Preferred the looks of the GT front end, but my heart wanted the BRZ. Preferred the GT86 for roundabout action and that swayed the decision. Lots of great advice being offered here!!