All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. KevinA

2019 New Look

Wanted a new look for this years sprint season so I chose the Red Arrows as a theme.
  3. spikyone

Severe engine rattle

Fair enough, I wondered what could've happened to justify a warranty claim on all four. I'm impressed they didn't write it off as wear & tear, that's the usual first answer!
  4. N_Spr

Severe engine rattle

@Kaltorak - mine was just a high pitched squealing, almost thought i had a burr caught in the brake for a while Lauren - That’s a fair comment, i’m getting ahead of myself - approved a strip down of the engine today, so we’ll see. @spikyone - Just corrosion, to be fair. Took a shot at getting them replaced and was very surprised when it was approved, took some pictures and did it the next week. The one easy dealership experience i think i’ve ever had!
  5. spikyone

Severe engine rattle

All four wheels replaced under warranty? For what? That rings some alarm bells; it sounds to me like the previous owner might have given it some abuse. Recalls are a fact of life, they happen, and there is barely a manufacturer on the planet that doesn't have them - be thankful you didn't buy a diesel VW, they recalled those even though they worked perfectly...
  6. spikyone

GT86Curn's Facelift build

Hello from another Swindonian 86er - they're starting to get a bit common in these parts, not sure if it reflects well on Swindon or badly on the GT86... I recently upgraded my whole sound system, you won't get good bass from door speakers. I had a top end Pioneer HU with nav, Kicker components in the door/dash, and a Kicker underseat sub installed, plus a reversing camera, for about the price of Toyota's JBL 'upgrade'. My setup is easily enough to shake the car apart without distorting, doesn't need an amp. One word of warning: an underseat sub doesn't actually fit under a GT86's front seat. Give Alex at ASC Audio a shout.
  7. Lauren

Severe engine rattle

You don't know it's a valve spring issue. From what I've heard the car won't even start if a valve spring fails, that your's does points to something else.
  8. Lauren

Severe engine rattle

Had one go at 110K miles. Though obviously it didn't go anywhere. It just rumbles a bit and gets louder with speed, was making my exhaust sound funny. You will hear it.
  9. Kaltorak

Severe engine rattle

Mind telling me what the symptoms of the wheel bearing was Lauren and N_spr?
  10. nerdstrike

You can't get deep bass from a single 6.5" driver without porting (or massive throw), and you certainly can't do that in a door cavity. Sometimes there's no substitute for having a bigger cone. I suspect you'd get more effect out of the units if they door cards weren't quite so flexible. You can really feel the door bins thrumming at higher volumes. The bluetooth unit on the Toyota headunit seems to have a serious lack of gain, but it sounds reasonable enough from a CD. A better head unit may help, but then so would a dedicated amp.
  11. GT86Curn

Thanks, The speakers are a good upgrade. They sound very good. Just dont be expecting too much from them as I feel they seem to be held back by the headunit now. Focals are very clear but they dont add that much bass to the sound
  12. N_Spr

Severe engine rattle

Yeah - that’s what i mean by i’m sure Toyota genuinely doesn’t have it as subject to recall, yet it seems very odd it’s got the exact issue they describe. Seems more than pure coincidence. Vehicle was registered June ‘14, so it should all be sorted on warranty - always been an uphill battle in the past, however.
  13. DevilsCry

Shell V-Power > CEL

The light came back on a week after clearing it so I have taken it back to the garage today. Suspected the neutral switch was not connected properly so he has cleaned it and pushed it in tightly. Fingers crossed that's the end of it!
  14. NJay

Severe engine rattle

Yeah, I saw on the other forum you had already checked. On the link you posted the English translation has the following footnote. 1. The range of applicable chassis numbers includes vehicles that are not eligible. For details, please contact your local Toyota dealer. Unfortunately, at the mercy of Toyota although don't you still have warranty until June?
  15. N_Spr

Severe engine rattle

Yeah, comes up blank. Same with the toyota-tech.eu link - i don’t doubt Toyota believe it not to be subject, but it’s the exact failure the recall describes, well within the overall production bracket...
  16. willfmair

Nice, look forward to seeing the wheels. How do you rate the focal speaker upgrade?
  17. NJay

Severe engine rattle

Have you checked with the recall checker on the Toyota uk website?
  18. GT86Curn

Hi All, Picked up my facelift black 86 around a month ago from Cheltenham (Im based in Swindon). Here are photos from the listing: I bought it from a Toyota dealership knowing it had a couple of decent modifications. Spec when I bought it was is: Miltek unresinated cat back Fensport remap Summit racing strut brace I recently fit a Sard carbon intake pipe (What a work of art!) I then fit some Focal direct fit front speakers. My last 86 had the JBL system in it so i really did feel the standard system was lacking And thats it up to date at the moment. On order I currently have a set of 17" Wedssport wheels and next Friday Im booked in to TD for the NA package with UEL manifold and some lowering springs. Ill update when I have more progress!
  19. VAD17

JDM coombe 1st of June

There was not enough interest for a club stand. We have quite a few alternatives for June in the calendar though: - Sunday 2nd - Goodwood breakfast club; - Sunday 9th - Tunerfest South; - Sunday 23rd - Bromley Pageant of Motoring; - Sunday 30th - Japanese Vehicle & Culture Show at MOP Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
  20. Lauren

Severe engine rattle

Well that is a pity, I guess they need to determine what caused it. They are very specific about what cars are affected in the recall as it was down to the material used in the valve springs not meeting specification, so they will know by the engine number or VIN number.
  21. N_Spr

Severe engine rattle

Colchester’s just told me i’m not under the recall - should it be every vehicle within that range, or more specific?
  22. Rob_86

JDM coombe 1st of June

Any news on if we're getting a club stand again this year, closing date is Monday the 7th of May.
  23. Lauren

Severe engine rattle

Cars affected by the recall were built between April 2012 - May 2013. This will affect a lot of cars that sat around and were registered sometime later. It's affected 3505 cars in the UK. Looks like you'll get it all covered under warranty which is a result. Could be a new engine. My car has been fab. One wheel bearing, four coil packs and a few other minor things, I use mine as a daily and stil really enjoy it. I'm nudging 128,000 miles. Good luck.
  24. nerdstrike

Severe engine rattle

I wouldn't consider a recall or two unusual on a car that's not a direct evolution of a predecessor. The window rollers are clearly a weak point, and the wheel bearing is disappointing (depending on what you have done with and to the car). It's bad luck with your current issue 😕 I've had one recall, a surprising number of cracked windscreens, but otherwise nothing wrong that can't be fixed with a good detailer or ding remover.
  25. rob275

Severe engine rattle

Bound to be a few bad eggs in a mass produced car. You've clearly been unfortunate, but I wouldn't be concerned. It's why the warranty is there, thank yourself these things have been resolved during a warranty period and not found out after.
  26. SimonG68

Japfest Silverstone Convoy south

Ok, we’re in see you at 8am
  1. Load more activity