Conscript

Low Speed Suspension Creak/Popping Noise

Over the past couple of weeks, my car has developed a rather annoying noise from the front end. I've started this thread in the hope that I get some help tracking down what the culprit might be. The car is a 2013 model, with about 82K miles. The suspension is unmodified apart from wheel spacers fitted about 2 years ago.

Symptoms
When driving at low speeds, there is a creaking or popping noise emanating from the front of the car.
- The noise only occurs at very low speeds, pretty much walking pace - think when making a turn in the road, manoeuvring into a parking space, or sometimes slowing to a stop.
- The noise does NOT appear to be related to braking or steering inputs. It mainly seems to occur over uneven ground, ie when one wheel is moving up or down relative to the other, so when the car needs to flex somewhat.
- The noise does no occur (or at least, cannot be heard) at any sort of speed. The car is otherwise sound - no clunks, rattles, grinding or feedback from the suspension apart from this noise when manoeuvring. 
- There are no other adverse symptoms. The car handles, stops and pulls away fine, I cannot feel any undue play in the steering or suspension. 

Videos
I've managed to take two videos highlighting the sound. The first video is taken driving along a road local to me which has speed cushions. On the way up the road, I purposefully drive over them with just one wheel and you can hear the sound. The noise quality isn't great, it's from my phone mounted on the windscreen but listen as I slow to mount each one and you should hear what I mean. I then turn around and come back down the road, but this time I go over the speed bumps evenly. You can still hear it a little, but it's much reduced. Windows are halfway down in this one and it's a windy day, so apologies for extra noise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riA8ZyBeEao

The second video is taken outside my house. In this one, I am literally just rolling back on the clutch, and then letting the car roll forward. You can hear the noise quite clearly. The road is generally flat, but there is a fairly large depression close to the kerb. The noise appears to be happening as the nearside wheel rolls over this and the offside wheel stays level. I'm making no steering input in this video, and only lightly touching the brakes to stop after the car has rolled forward.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxPCrTWGfnw

Things I don't think it is
The following are things I've discounted for the moment, however I wont rule them out entirely if someone has better experience:
- Strut braces (the stay bars running between strut towers and the firewall): I found a good thread on FT86 club where someone outlined a TSB for these making creaking noise due to debris between the mounting surfaces. However even after being removed, cleaned and reinstalled the noise is still there. Just to be sure, I also removed them entirely and drove up the same road in the video. The noise was still there; it was slightly different, maybe a little quieter, however I think that's because although they may not be the culprit, their absence might change the way the front end is flexing, thus affecting the noise. So for now, I don't think it's them. 
- Brakes: I've suffered creaking noises from brakes before, but this is happening with no brake application whatsoever. 
- Strut tops: This seems to be the most popular theory for creaking and popping noises from suspension. However, my noise appears even when there is not steering input. When stationary, if I turn the wheel, there is no noise whatsoever, so I think these are okay.
- Steering rack: Don't think it's this, for the same reasons as above.
- Springs/dampers: I cant get any noise out of the car stationary by bouncing it up and down, and there's no noises when driving normally, so I think these are fine.
- Tie rods/end links/ball joints: Again, no noise from these otherwise, and there's no undue play on a first inspection. 

Prime Suspects
- At the moment, my main suspect for this is the anti roll bar bushings (in the Dining Room, with the lead pipe). As evidenced above, the noise is most prevalent when the wheels are moving relative to each other, and my understanding is that this would be causing the ARB to flex/twist, whereas on level ground it shouldn't be twisting. 
- ARB drop links. I'm considering these as well, but only really because they link to the ARB. My experience on cars of the past is that drop links are a weak point, so usually this would be my go-to for the problem. However, again in my experience, worn drop links tends to cause all sorts of clunking noises in general driving over any sort of rough ground, whereas this issue only occurs slowly.

My next step is going to be getting the car in the air at the weekend and inspecting the ARB bushing, and giving them a spray with silicone lubricant to see if that helps. In the meantime, I'd welcome any opinions on what else might be causing the noise that I could investigate. Has anyone experienced similar issues?

1 hour ago, matrixprotein said:

Could be your drop links. I had this issue

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've just had to drive around the M25 to Brentford and I was noticing it more. Its become a bit of a rattle at lower speeds even on level ground. I get a feeling that whatever it is, the concrete washboard section of the M25 might have made it worse... so you might be right about the drop links. 

When I got to my destination I got out and gave the wheels a rock but they feel fine. As soon as I get home I'm going to get under and have a look. 

I have a noise too from somewhere.
It's going in for a service next week, I've asked him to have a good prod around see what he can find.

It's annoying as I can go over speed bumps, through ruts and pot holes and nothing.

Washboard surfaces though and slower speed manoeuvring and there's a noise.

I had similar sounds usually on bumpy ground at slow speeds. Changed the front anti roll bar bushes and drop links and it’s gone for me.

The exhausts manifold is close on both sides so the heat from the engine bay can cause them to wear out faster. 
I’ve gone with some SuperPro roll bar bushes and uprated drop links. I was amazed at how much sharper and responsive the steering became.

On 8/27/2020 at 10:05 AM, Luke said:

I had similar sounds usually on bumpy ground at slow speeds. Changed the front anti roll bar bushes and drop links and it’s gone for me.

The exhausts manifold is close on both sides so the heat from the engine bay can cause them to wear out faster. 
I’ve gone with some SuperPro roll bar bushes and uprated drop links. I was amazed at how much sharper and responsive the steering became.

Just spent this morning replacing the drop links (just went OEM as they were fairly cheap even from Toyota). It was definitely part of the issue...you can see in the video below how worn they were. The one shown is the drivers side, but the passenger side wasn't much better (and ended up being a complete pig to remove). 

https://youtu.be/lv8QNELMP_8

The noise is now much quieter, and it's stopped rattling over rough surfaces. However, the low speed creaking is still there...buts its definitely not as bad. So I think the ARB bushes might need replacing too, like you said. Is that fairly easy to do, if you did it yourself? I have a good array of tools, but not a lift so I have to work with the car on jackstands.

And have the uprated bushes casued any more noise/vibration? 

Ive had a low speed creaking/knocking for the last couple of years which I've never got to the bottom of (although my efforts have been half a*sed). I was actually hoping it would get worse so it would be more obvious to trace the problem but it never happened. I will be interested to see if the ARB bushes do anything.

It can be done with basic tools from what I've seen, its easily accessible.

Im glad it did solve part of your issue. 

The super pro bushes aren’t as solid as poly bushes so it’s the best of both worlds.
I didn’t notice any additional NVH however i’am running on aftermarket coilovers and different wheel/tyres which already contribute some additional NVH so it would be hard for me to say if it will for you. 
I did fit them myself with a similar array of tools to you. I would say that it’s best to remove the under trays and then take the sub frame off the bottom rather than trying to change them on the car. I’d say it took me about 2 hours in between other things. Just make sure you’ve got a breaker bar or buzz gun as some of the bolts are “German torqued”. (Very tough to undo).

This video was my guide and has the torque specs listed as well.

I’m so impressed with the increase in positive handling characteristics that I’ll also be changing the rear arb bushes in the future.

2 hours ago, Luke said:

Im glad it did solve part of your issue. 

The super pro bushes aren’t as solid as poly bushes so it’s the best of both worlds.
I didn’t notice any additional NVH however i’am running on aftermarket coilovers and different wheel/tyres which already contribute some additional NVH so it would be hard for me to say if it will for you. 
I did fit them myself with a similar array of tools to you. I would say that it’s best to remove the under trays and then take the sub frame off the bottom rather than trying to change them on the car. I’d say it took me about 2 hours in between other things. Just make sure you’ve got a breaker bar or buzz gun as some of the bolts are “German torqued”. (Very tough to undo).

This video was my guide and has the torque specs listed as well.

I’m so impressed with the increase in positive handling characteristics that I’ll also be changing the rear arb bushes in the future.

Cheers. I've ordered a set off importcarparts.com. Don't have an impact gun, but I do have breaker bar, so looks like another little job for next week. 

Where do you get the rear bushes? I found the front ones, but not the rear. I ordered a pair of OEM rear drop links, figured I may as well do the lot. 

That’s where I got my front bushes from as well.

Fensport have the rear in stock but double check the size Is correct for the oem anti roll bar believe: https://www.fensport.co.uk/products/superpro-rear-anti-roll-bar-bush-kit-14mm-gt86-brz

You might be able to get a club discount from this forum as well.

Well, I've just replaced the front bushes, and it seems to have cured the problem. Took it for a drive again, no unusual noises over speed cushions, nor when I manoeuvred while parking outside my house. 

Only issue (aside from it starting to rain while I was working) was that I managed to strip one of the bolts which holds the metal clip encasing the bush to the sway bar frame (the part which bolts to the chassis).Because the clip doesn't go down flush, as you're crushing the bush, I managed to cross thread the bolt and didn't notice until it was too late and I had a socket on it. Luckily I managed to find a similar size bolt and nut in the garage to replace it with, which seems to hold okay. If it doesn't, I'll have to find a replacement frame somewhere. But still, prat 😕

Can't say I've noticed any improvement in steering response, although I went with OEM drop links.

I've just had mine in for a kick over and MOT

The noise I was getting WAS a droplink. Despite numerous yanks and tugs and checks by me.
Driver's side, bottom fixing was just loose enough that it could move.
It's been tightened up and now = silence.

Well as near to silence as an 86 can be.

Mine was also the drop link. It felt tight when prodding around with the car in the air, but I assume that any play can loosen up with the car back on the ground or with higher forces when driving around.

In the end the lower bolt needed another couple of turns to tighten up with an allen  key and spanner, and the noise disappeared.

Now I can hear that slight creak from the rear parcel shelf again! 😂

On 9/27/2020 at 1:19 PM, choupolo said:

Mine was also the drop link. It felt tight when prodding around with the car in the air, but I assume that any play can loosen up with the car back on the ground or with higher forces when driving around.

In the end the lower bolt needed another couple of turns to tighten up with an allen  key and spanner, and the noise disappeared.

Now I can hear that slight creak from the rear parcel shelf again! 😂

attachment.php?attachmentid=20366&stc=1&
rear shelf creak fix.