OllyW

What to look for?

Hi all,

New member here :)

I'm looking into getting a GT86 for my 2nd car in early August, going up from a 2014 Seat Ibiza FR 1.2 TSi. 

What should I be looking for when buying a used 86? I've seen about some common issues with the window pillar thingy rusting and the windows scratching but don't know if there's any other things to be aware of. 

Has anyone also had experience with modified insurance on one at 18 years old? I've got quotes for non-modified at around £2500 however would like to get modified if I can :)

Overall budget is ~£14600 ish, so ideally around £12k for the car. Seems like my best bet is a 2012 Reg with ~40k miles.

Cheers,

Olly

6 minutes ago, OllyW said:

Hi all,

New member here :)

I'm looking into getting a GT86 for my 2nd car in early August, going up from a 2014 Seat Ibiza FR 1.2 TSi. 

What should I be looking for when buying a used 86? I've seen about some common issues with the window pillar thingy rusting and the windows scratching but don't know if there's any other things to be aware of. 

Has anyone also had experience with modified insurance on one at 18 years old? I've got quotes for non-modified at around £2500 however would like to get modified if I can :)

Overall budget is ~£14600 ish, so ideally around £12k for the car. Seems like my best bet is a 2012 Reg with ~40k miles.

Cheers,

Olly

There's a thread you might wanna look into. 

As far as 12k budget goes.. as long as it's been fully serviced and if you can get an extended warranty, I wouldn't be fussed about the mileage. I got mine with 40k miles, now 56k and it's sound :) Managed to get 3 years warranty as well (my car is 62 plate) so nothing to worry about. 

Insurance.. call, don't bother with online quotes much, 90% of the time it's cheaper to call. Adrian Flux, Chris Knott, Sky Insurance they seem to be popular options.

9 minutes ago, Lucas@PartBox said:

There's a thread you might wanna look into. 

As far as 12k budget goes.. as long as it's been fully serviced and if you can get an extended warranty, I wouldn't be fussed about the mileage. I got mine with 40k miles, now 56k and it's sound :) Managed to get 3 years warranty as well (my car is 62 plate) so nothing to worry about. 

Insurance.. call, don't bother with online quotes much, 90% of the time it's cheaper to call. Adrian Flux, Chris Knott, Sky Insurance they seem to be popular options.

Perfect thanks for that Lucas :)

I'd ideally like to get it from a dealer if I can just for the peace of mind of being able to get warranty - And I'll give them a call closer to the time, 3 months more till I get my 1st year no claims :)

Depending on how much I can sell my Ibiza for I might be able to get a budget up to £13k as I've just looked and a few with the same mileage etc are selling for £7500ish (£500 more than I bought mine for!)

I wouldn't be too worried about mileage as long as it has a full service history. Bear in mind that 60K miles and 80K miles are the most expensive services costing around £600 and a little more for the 80K so check those have been done or knock some money off to compensate. 

I've honestly no idea about modified insurance for your age, but I guess all you can do is, do your research. Try the companies listed in the insurance section of traders on here first. 

48 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I wouldn't be too worried about mileage as long as it has a full service history. Bear in mind that 60K miles and 80K miles are the most expensive services costing around £600 and a little more for the 80K so check those have been done or knock some money off to compensate. 

I've honestly no idea about modified insurance for your age, but I guess all you can do is, do your research. Try the companies listed in the insurance section of traders on here first. 

Thanks for the reply Lauren :)

60K+80K Mile servicing I'm not too worried about as it'll take me ~2 years to get to that point providing I get one around 40k miles. And will definitely start with the companies here :)

No worries, it's just a thought if you find the perfect car with slightly higher mileage it could be a good bargaining tool and you might get a slightly newer car. 

39 minutes ago, Lauren said:

No worries, it's just a thought if you find the perfect car with slightly higher mileage it could be a good bargaining tool and you might get a slightly newer car. 

Definitely, sounds like a good idea! :)

6 minutes ago, Lowe said:

I was mentally prepared for the 60k service but didn’t know about 80k. What the hell happens then? 😮

It's all in the service manual. The fuel filter needs replacing. It's a little bit more expensive than the 60K service when the plugs are changed. 

3 minutes ago, Lauren said:

It's all in the service manual. The fuel filter needs replacing. It's a little bit more expensive than the 60K service when the plugs are changed. 

Ah, I've not got one (annoying!)

Is it hidden around the back of the engine or something? Seems expensive for a fuel filter!

2 hours ago, Lowe said:

Ah, I've not got one (annoying!)

Is it hidden around the back of the engine or something? Seems expensive for a fuel filter!

It's in the tank under the rear seats so all that has to come out. 

On 14/04/2018 at 3:44 PM, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi,

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Hi Dan,

Will drop you a line around July time if that's alright - thank you for the reply :)

Ok I am an old git in my 75th year with 9 years no claim, I asked my broker for a quote on my BRZ and was told £700 I had a look around and spoke to Churchill and was quoted £305. Always get quotes 30 days before you need it, they will know you still have time to look around and you are not desperate, Thursday is a good day as they will be looking to hit their end of the week sales target. Hope you find what you are looking for I am having a lot of fun in my BRZ

Going down on Wednesday to Listers Toyota to sign the papers to a fancy Red GT86 :) got a quote for £1940 in the end without a blackbox - Can say I'll be over the moon to have one at 18!

This post goes back a while, but peristence pays off. Well done. £2K is a lot for insurance, but i guess you're a high risk but it's one of those things that happens when you're young. Enjoy and check out the events. There's plenty going on right now. :)

3 minutes ago, Lauren said:

This post goes back a while, but peristence pays off. Well done. £2K is a lot for insurance, but i guess you're a high risk but it's one of those things that happens when you're young. Enjoy and check out the events. There's plenty going on right now. :)

Thank you :) and definitely sucks to have that much for insurance but I managed to justify it because I've got a mate paying £2000 to insure a 2005 Seat Ibiza 1.2 with 70hp + Blackbox :o

Will keep an eye out for events! :) 

2 hours ago, Dave86 said:

Madness...have some patience, learn to drive and get a nice car when you are a bit older. More experience plus cheaper. 

It's not a matter of patience and learning to drive, I'm not fussed about money for it either as a car is something I spent the majority of my spare time in.

I'm not a generic 18 year old hooligan who's had a Corsa/Fiesta lowered on some cheap springs acting like a rally driver but really a bit more on the tame side, I don't plan on sliding out of junctions all over the shop etc, just want to settle in a car that I will enjoy for years :) 

I gather £2k a year is about par for the course no matter how lame your car at that age. Enjoy it @OllyW, I had to drive a 30 bhp Fiat Cinquecento when I was your age. It was impossible to break the speed limit on the motorway unless you were going downhill!

My big piece of advice would be to not turn off the traction control/VSC until you've driven through winter. It takes a good long while to recognise the conditions which can catch you out, and taking away your safety margin is unwise. If you do want to play beyond the limit of grip, save up for a skid pan or handling course. It's great fun and you learn things that might help you in general driving.

2 hours ago, nerdstrike said:

I gather £2k a year is about par for the course no matter how lame your car at that age. Enjoy it @OllyW, I had to drive a 30 bhp Fiat Cinquecento when I was your age. It was impossible to break the speed limit on the motorway unless you were going downhill!

My big piece of advice would be to not turn off the traction control/VSC until you've driven through winter. It takes a good long while to recognise the conditions which can catch you out, and taking away your safety margin is unwise. If you do want to play beyond the limit of grip, save up for a skid pan or handling course. It's great fun and you learn things that might help you in general driving.

Definitely not a bad shout with the traction, I don't have plans to turn it off till I have been to a skid pan and I'm planning on getting some winter tyres for this winter :)