ThatGuyThere

Measure boost

22 minutes ago, Adamd said:

Can anyone advise on ways for me to monitor boost? I'm thinking OBD2 reader and android app... advise on either appreciated :)

Cost effective and good enough. I use this HKS OB-Link for FA20. Brilliant for what I use it for, but you can get similar readers for a few quid from eBay - not sure how well they are going to work though.

img_02.jpgOB-LINK%20FA20%20IMAGE-500x500_0.png

https://www.part-box.com/44009-ak003-hks-bluetooth-ob-link-electronic-reader-type-fa20-for-toyota-gt86-subaru-brz?search=44009-AK003&description=true

There's also a free app called Car Scanner. You will need a £7 OB link from eBay to use it, but it does the job. 

tSelTQj.png

You can customise it a bit more and choose from A LOT of different things.. Engine RPM, transmission Temperature etc.

The dirt cheap OBD scanners can't sample very fast, so you can't log anything that happens inside of about half a second. Ok for finding out your peak boost, not ok for spotting erratic spikes in pressure.

When I've logged the MAF over time, it's very difficult to capture accurate peak values with my cheapo ELM327 clone, say no better than +/- 10 g/s

Torque Pro is a great app for live readouts, but the logging is a bit crappy. I've had troubles with it not saving to the drive sometimes. It'll do live graphing too, but they are pretty transient. I ended up doing my own plotting in R.

I might be being really stupid here but won't most of the software,  etc mentioned that monitors from Obd not work anyway for boost as the car won't have boost measuring capability as standard due to being na? 

I'd have thought an actual plumbed in boost gauge would be needed? 

I might be being really stupid here but won't most of the software,  etc mentioned that monitors from Obd not work anyway for boost as the car won't have boost measuring capability as standard due to being na? 
I'd have thought an actual plumbed in boost gauge would be needed? 
Boosted cars have a map sensor to measure intake manifold pressure I believe.

I have been using ecutek connect

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Stock car Map sensor only reads to 0.27 bar I think,  so it will only show low boost figures it will flat line over that number but logging Air flow meter voltage will give us an idea what is happening in relation to engine load.

Adam, if you are okay with a laptop I can lend you our Ecutek Loaners cable/dongle for investigation work

1 hour ago, Mark@Abbey M/S said:

Stock car Map sensor only reads to 0.27 bar I think,  so it will only show low boost figures it will flat line over that number but logging Air flow meter voltage will give us an idea what is happening in relation to engine load.

Adam, if you are okay with a laptop I can lend you our Ecutek Loaners cable/dongle for investigation work

Wow, that would be amazing Mark! I'll PM you.

18 hours ago, MartinT said:

Yes careful, my previous Sprintex supercharger was not MAP sensor mapped and the OBD gave no boost measurement.

It does read boost, but it's capped at 0.36 Bar (1.36 Bar MAP). Based on your other thread that would be enough to show whether the blower is giving positive pressure. I don't know whether the HKS comes with an aftermarket sensor or it's just standard to fit an Omni type sensor.

Where are you based @Adamd?

1 hour ago, knightryder said:

It does read boost, but it's capped at 0.36 Bar (1.36 Bar MAP). Based on your other thread that would be enough to show whether the blower is giving positive pressure. I don't know whether the HKS comes with an aftermarket sensor or it's just standard to fit an Omni type sensor.

Where are you based @Adamd?

West Yorkshire.