Lucas

Lucas' Daily

I managed to get this Circuit Sports Catback exhaust from work ( https://www.part-box.com/ ) and I'm putting it on after work.

I've put the car on the lift on my lunch and got everything ready, should be a straight forward process (yeah, i know.. famous last words)

I'll keep you updated! 

Photo 04-07-2017, 2 04 48 pm.jpg

Photo 04-07-2017, 2 05 50 pm.jpg

Photo 04-07-2017, 2 05 58 pm.jpg

We've put the exhaust on yesterday evening. @SimonB95 and it literally took half an hour on the lift. The difference is noticeable, it's not much louder as it's a catback, but the tone/sound is significantly deeper, you can tell from idling all the way to 7.4k RPM, but like I said, it's only a little bit louder, but mainly deeper so the difference is there and I like it. Also, I don't know if it's just my mind or it actually happens, but the car feels smoother on the throttle now. I use the car daily, I go on road trips in it and sit on the motorway for hours fairly often, so I'm not willing to get something that will give me a headache, if you know what I mean:D

When it comes to exhausts it's down to everybody's preference, so even though I say it's good, you might not agree. Who knows, maybe I'll go for a de-cat eventually, but I'm in the process of saving money for some decent wheels at the moment.

Photo 04-07-2017, 5 29 23 pm.jpg

Photo 04-07-2017, 5 30 07 pm.jpg

35 minutes ago, maurice said:

Is this another branded variant of the Q300 clone that's been doing the rounds on eBay/japspeed etc for years? Looks pretty similar. 

I wouldn't say so. Invidia Q300 has a centre inlet into the muffler I believe. And it's much louder than this.

CS have done dyno testing with this exhaust and a completely stock BRZ gained 6-7bhp after installing this exhaust on it. 

On 7/6/2017 at 0:20 PM, Paul said:

If the Q300 if much louder than this, then this must be silent as the grave.

It is not very different to the stock exhaust, in terms of how loud it is. It's just deeper, but mainly... it works, it's not just the sound, and that's completely fine by me, I had some loud cars before, hell, I used to drive around in a straight piped V8 Soarer, this is modest and purrs well above 4k, but like I said, exhausts are like shoes, cars and colours.. Everybody has a different taste when it comes to it. 

After having the 86 for 3 months, I started feeling the need to do something more than just putting a lovely sounding Circuit Sports Cat-Back on it. Modding is a bug, and I’m sure some of you can relate, so when you start, you want more and more and it’s very difficult to stop. I had a short list of basic modifications before I even got the car, so I knew exactly what I was going to do, but after getting the car, I had to start prioritising things. Money always plays its role in this game, so the intervals between each “bigger” mod are... 

Read moreF3a53lS_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Just a thought, do Cusco do their own springs to go with it?  Also are they height adjustable, it's just they don't look it. I'm guessing it's the Whiteline springs that lowered it. Manufacturers of coilovers will normally do springs to match their dampers. 

41 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Just a thought, do Cusco do their own springs to go with it?  Also are they height adjustable, it's just they don't look it. I'm guessing it's the Whiteline springs that lowered it. Manufacturers of coilovers will normally do springs to match their dampers. 

They aren't. That's why I had to make a decision when it came to springs. 25mm is enough in my opinion. I live in an area with a lot of speed bumps, so I had to sacrifice "stance" for clearance. New wheels will fill the gaps even better so it won't look bad once finished IMO. Sometimes, yeah, but not necessarily. Cusco do different springs for coilovers, not for this Touring A kit, because this was designed to go with OEM springs. 

41 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Interesting. How does it compare to TEIN EDFC Active Pro? 

Just had a quick look, it seems you can adjust from inside the car, but it doesn't appear to be active.

It's not active, but there is a pre-set memory system that will allow you to change the settings by pressing a button. You can make your own settings as well and then have different profiles so depending what road you are on, you just push a button and it'll change. 

55 minutes ago, Lucas@PartBox said:

It's not active, but there is a pre-set memory system that will allow you to change the settings by pressing a button. You can make your own settings as well and then have different profiles so depending what road you are on, you just push a button and it'll change. 

I'll likely get massively flamed for saying this but I dont think the active part of the EDFC is worth it anyway. They are only bog standard stepper motors that have a very slow response time . As you turn into a corner the weight transfer will already have happened by the time it firms up the damping. 

6 minutes ago, Ade said:

I'll likely get massively flamed for saying this but I dont think the active part of the EDFC is worth it anyway. They are only bog standard stepper motors that have a very slow response time . As you turn into a corner the weight transfer will already have happened by the time it firms up the damping. 

Cusco knows why not to bother with that :) 

12 minutes ago, Ade said:

Pretty sure that's what @KevinA thinks too. Funnily enough, one of the days at Curborough my quickest time (that day) was set when I left it in manual mode by mistake...

8 minutes ago, Lucas@PartBox said:

Cusco knows why not to bother with that :) 

So do Mclaren. Instead they used hydraulic roll bars to control roll stiffness in fractions of a second, while springing the car nice and lightly for good road manners.