jevvy

Wheel and Tire Advice Wanted : )

Want to get an orange set of wheels and it seems there's only really one option apparently anyway : )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XXR-527-18-8-75J-9-75J-5x100-5X114-3-HABANERO-ORANGE-ALLOY-WHEELS-SET-Z2286-7-/331376383915?hash=item4d279257ab:g:ukMAAOSw54xUYjIq

Was just wondering what size tyre's to go for and these wheels also come in 17"  would like to get the best "bang for buck" tyres and dont really want them to be stretched. Thanks alot!

I think there are quite few people running  XXR 527 on here. Bust almost hundred percent they are running 18 x 8.75J all round. This set is for for 2 x 8.75J and 2 x 9.75J. The 2nd pair is too wide. If you get a set of these but 4 x 8.75J wouldn't be a problem. Regarding the tires I think most of the people run 225/40/18 or 235/45/18. Brand wise Yoko A105s are good value for money. People also fancy Michelins Pilot sport 3. I am still running stock so can't say from personal experience but probably others will agree with me. 

I like using that site to see weather how new setup will be different from stock. It will show you if the tires are wide enough and also will show you how the width and the offset of the wheels matter. Thanks! 

http://www.willtheyfit.com/ 

You can get any wheel powdercoated to the colour you want. As Jeff said, you don't really want a staggered setup, unless you love understeer and those rears are on the large size width wise. 

A 225 on an 8.75J rim is ideal. 235 is okay too. 

vanko25: are you sure about Pilot Sport 3? Unlike PS2, PSS, PS4, PS3 IIRC was successor of other line, with different compound used / grip then "real" pilot sports.

To others: you are sure on 225 ideal for 8.75"? I thought 7.5" is "ideal" for 225, and the wider wheel above, the more tire is stretched?

Bear in mind if there is any inclination to enter the TSS that the PS4 is not a tyre you can use. I expect it would be pretty good though. I have PS3's on my AE86 and they are too grippy tbh. The sidewall is not stiff enough either despite me pulling them a bit with a 195/50 on a 7.5" rim. 

I have Yoko V105's on my GT, on my third or fourth set, I really like them, great grip and also really progressive. 

31 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Bear in mind if there is any inclination to enter the TSS that the PS4 is not a tyre you can use. 

That's not true. Adrian said you can and as it's a street tyre it would put you in the street class.

Its very tyre dependent. 225 on an 8.75 rim is a bit of a stretch and will probably lose you some grip on an extreme performance tyre according to the chassis engineers I am friendly with. On something like V105s the extra stiffness might be useful, but you have to bare in mind OEMs dont stretch tyres like that and tyre manufacturers design the tyres to fit how OEMs want them to fit/look. 

AD08Rs and other extreme performance and semi slicks have very stiff sidewalls and often recommend a narrower rim. E.g. Yokohama recommend a 7.5" rim for 225/45/17 AD08Rs.

My plan was to email them and ask for 8.75 all round or ring Tarmac sports and ask if they could beat the price for 8.75 all round mainly just wanted to know what tyres best for 18x8.75 for the money and I'd quite like a high profile tyre as I live in a tight village and often have to climb curbs :( 

5 hours ago, Lauren said:

You can get any wheel powdercoated to the colour you want. As Jeff said, you don't really want a staggered setup, unless you love understeer and those rears are on the large size width wise. 

A 225 on an 8.75J rim is ideal. 235 is okay too. 

But these rims are like 125£ each and how much would a powered cost cost? Probably close to half that a wheel? 

4 hours ago, Ade said:

Its very tyre dependent. 225 on an 8.75 rim is a bit of a stretch and will probably lose you some grip on an extreme performance tyre according to the chassis engineers I am friendly with. On something like V105s the extra stiffness might be useful, but you have to bare in mind OEMs dont stretch tyres like that and tyre manufacturers design the tyres to fit how OEMs want them to fit/look. 

AD08Rs and other extreme performance and semi slicks have very stiff sidewalls and often recommend a narrower rim. E.g. Yokohama recommend a 7.5" rim for 225/45/17 AD08Rs.

You seem knowledgeable! So what size for 8.75j I'd rather higher profile tyres as where I live the roads aren't the best and I'm often left head on with Middle Aged women who refuse to budge even though it's my right of way forcing me to climb a curb or reverse 200 yards :( not a jab at Middle Aged women in general just the ones in oversized cars who cluelessly bully me :( 

4 minutes ago, jevvy said:

You seem knowledgeable! So what size for 8.75j I'd rather higher profile tyres as where I live the roads aren't the best and I'm often left head on with Middle Aged women who refuse to budge even though it's my right of way forcing me to climb a curb or reverse 200 yards :( not a jab at Middle Aged women in general just the ones in oversized cars who cluelessly bully me :( 

235/40 R18 or 245/35 R18 on a 8.75J but I would check the manufacturers guidelines. 

In all honesty the pilot super sport is on the A1 list and the PS4 is a bit slower than that in the dry.

Where would my AD08R put me? They certainly are not as fast as the semi slicks on the 1B list....and are billed as road tyre. 

3 minutes ago, Ade said:

In all honesty the pilot super sport is on the A1 list and the PS4 is a bit slower than that in the dry.

Where would my AD08R put me? They certainly are not as fast as the semi slicks on the 1B list....and are billed as road tyre. 

AD08r are on the 1b list with my Pilot Sport Cup 2's so put you up in the pro class