Sign in to follow this  

Toyota Yaris GRMN

" A new 1.8-litre supercharged engine, is unique in the European hot hatch market. It will produce more than 205bhp, and promises speed, poise and rich driver awards."

Go screw yourselves Toyota. It's like you want us to go FI!!!

Will be interesting to see the price, it's going up against the Fiesta ST200 directly which starts at £23k. It looks a hell of a lot better than the courtesy Yaris' that I've borrowed, filter some of these into the TSS soon?  :D

Great stuff. Toyota aren't just about RWD sports cars - the FWD cars were pretty good back in the day too.

As someone who VERY nearly bought a Fiesta ST instead of the GT86 this is an interesting development...

Plus it means the Riceburner and his colleagues finally have something else to sell to the under-sixties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Keethos said:

Tis a bit annoying that it has more power than us NA folk.

Only solution for us Keith is to start strapping turbos and superchargers on left right and centre.

I see no mention of an LSD. Toyota will have to make this car handle for it to be successful. They don't have a brilliant history when it comes to hot hatches. Let's hope they get this right. 

And it's a proper one - most junior hot hatches just have the electronic virtual ones...

As for handling, the eighties hot corollas and the fwd Celicas have been okay have they not?

Still - if they can beat the Fiesta I'll be impressed. That's an absolute hoot to drive, albeit pretty awful in every other respect.

How much do we think this will be?

I am thinking with the spec: >205hp, sachs dampers, 4 pot brakes, BBS wheels, Torsen ect that it will be a higher spec than a fiesta ST, closer to a mini JCW......

So why a supercharger then? Thought they'd rather fallen out of favour since Mercedes stuck them on everything a few years back? Is it a packaging thing or some other reason?

I'd speculate that it's Gazoo's input. No idea why but they know a thing or 2 about racing and dynamics. Plus Toyota have history with putting a supercharger on the 2ZZ so I guess that this is a much easier (cheaper) option than a TC.

There's barely room for the 1.8 and cooling, never mind running a turbo pipe back up to the intake. If that's the same unit that went in the some of the Elise and early Exige, then it's a really heavily tested combination. Probably detuned a bit too. You could after all, get to 190 hp with just VVTL.

The car looks like a total hoot. I look forward to it appearing on motoring program of choice.

Also with things like 4 pot brakes etc, this might mean in a few years when they inevitably get potted through hedges etc we have a supply of upgrade parts ;) 

2 minutes ago, Lowe said:

Also with things like 4 pot brakes etc, this might mean in a few years when they inevitably get potted through hedges etc we have a supply of upgrade parts ;) 

more like a couple months :lol:

6 hours ago, Nicebiscuit said:

And it's a proper one - most junior hot hatches just have the electronic virtual ones...

As for handling, the eighties hot corollas and the fwd Celicas have been okay have they not?

Mediocre at best, though the Gen7 Celica was alright. The MK1 and MK3 MR2 handled well with the MK3 being good. The AE86 is of course the legendary Toyota from the 80's as it's the one that did all the motorsport. There is the GT4 too which had some WRC success until the whole cheating debacle. The MK1 MR2 has it's flaws, though not as much as the MK2. The AE82, AE92 and AE101, never set the world alight and none have the accolades of say the Golf GTI, 205 or EK9 from later years. 

So Toyota are very thin on the ground when it comes to good hot hatches historically. 

I think it was the AE82 I was thinking of - at least it got the lovely twin-cam...

I remember thinking how cool it was that Toyota could sell you the same engine in FWD, RWD and even mid engined configurations at that time. I think I had a brochure with all of them in! I can't think of another manufacturer doing that...

As for the Golf - Mk1 and 2 are rightly legends, but the Mk3 needs a decent burial, and the Mk4 was lovely if you wanted a baby Mercedes, but it was no hot hatch... I always fancied a Corrado though...

As for the 205. Pretty, but all the structural integrity of a crisp packet!

4 hours ago, knightryder said:

There is no previous model FWD Toyota that I'd consider.

Don't forget that the SC'd 2ZZ was also in the Corolla TTE ;)

Though it was a good engine, it was in a dull chassis unfortunately. Never got good reviews really. 

3 hours ago, Lauren said:

Though it was a good engine, it was in a dull chassis unfortunately. Never got good reviews really. 

Agree, I had a mate who had one. Also another who currently has the T-Sport 190 version, I believe they're the same bar the engine. It's his comfy car, he has a CRX for fun stuff and admits it's a world away from my EK9.

I was more making the point about Toyota having already supercharged the 2ZZ, I assume that this is basically the same thing in the Yaris. That's no bad thing but should make it an cheap for them to do so.