bryan.inns

Winter layover now can't open door.

I would appreciate your help and advice please. I bought a 2015 GT86 automatic last August from a main dealers, and because I am overseas for up to three months in winter I was advised to have the car started and the engine run till warm at least every two weeks.

This was done religiously for around two months until one time the drivers door would not unlock. The physical key was tried but I am told it would not turn.

I am back in two weeks and was looking forward to going out in the car, but as I cannot get inside it I am unsure what to do. The car is in garage with the passenger door tight to the wall.

Any ideas please. (PS I do have AA home call)

Maybe the battery has gone flat so you can no longer open the door, it'll need a jump start but without unlocking the door, I'm not sure how to pop the bonnet but it is possible as a couple of people on here have experienced the same thing. Your dealer should know or be able to find out, either that or PM Rich @riceburner and he'll be able to help.

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

I'd also guess the battery was run down. Seized locks are possible but it's pretty new for that kind of issue.

Presuming you wish to avoid damage to the car, and that the passenger door still opens (albeit a small amount), I'd look into getting some casters to put under the wheels so that you can push it out. Not easy, given proximity to the wall, and it depends a lot on how level and smooth the floor is, but it's a thought to get you in there. It could presumably be dragged out as well, but that's a lot scarier.

See also: http://www.workshopping.co.uk/product/draper-expert-wheel-dollies-pair/23253/

AA guys will get the job done, but you might have to accept some damage in the process.

The key needs a lot of force to turn, I thought it didn't work either when I tried.

I had to get a small Allen key and use it as leverage to turn it in the lock.

This should help you get into the car, then pop the bonnet and get a charger on the battery! :)  

Obviously too late now, but either use a trickle charger or disconnect the battery. You should be able to open the car with the key, but these things are worth trying first, just for future reference. When Rob snapped his key I went out and tried mine and it opened fine. A little stiff, but nothing to worry about. As other's have said, try the key when you get home. 

There's really no point in running the car every couple of weeks with it just idling. It does more harm than good. My AE86 has been in storage since November and I am unlikely to get it out again till March or so. I just disconnect the battery leave the doors and boot ajar to protect the seals and disconnect the battery. If your car is secure in a garage probably better to disconnect the battery and leave it unlocked. Then you'll have no problem. 

I've had my car parked up for couple months and first time I had to unlock manually using the key blade was scary. It's really stiff and looked like it was going to break. I spent few minutes wiggling the blade left and right and after some time managed to turn it. Good luck with it and it will defiently turn, just very stiff.