GarethEvansUK

New GT86 owner - sort of!

Hi everyone,

I'm Gareth and I'm joining because I'm lucky enough to have custody of a GT86 for a while. It's a facelifted car and I'm spending six months reviewing it on Parkers.co.uk

You can see my welcome article here: http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/living-with-it/toyota-gt86-12-on-toyota-touch-2-with-go-20-boxer-d-4s-2d/

I'm joining to get some insider hints and tips on the car. While I'd love to play with it properly (having driven a number of modified GT86s from the heritage fleet cars to an endurance racer), it'll be staying standard while with me.

My history of quick Toyotas includes an SW20 MR2 Turbo and a couple of mk4 turbo Supras, the fastest being a 600bhp monster I built from standard.

These days I spend all my money racing old cars.

Look forward to being part of the site!

Welcome to the club, cool for you join us even for months hopefully you'll stick around afterwards. Can't say there are any real musts, its such a balanced car the it can suit almost everyone's needs and if not, there's plenty of mods to make it.

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy the car. I'm waiting for my dealer's demo car to be run in before I review it. Interested to see what I think of the additional chassis strengthening. 

Just for your notes, the stock car (excepting the Primo which around two people bought) has everything this does including cruise control etc as standard. The only additions in the new car are steering wheel controls and of course the changes to the dash display. 

16 hours ago, Keethos said:

Welcome to the club, cool for you join us even for months hopefully you'll stick around afterwards. Can't say there are any real musts, its such a balanced car the it can suit almost everyone's needs and if not, there's plenty of mods to make it.

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

We'll see how it goes - I'm still a moderator on the Supra forum years after I sold it :-D

15 hours ago, Lauren said:

Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy the car. I'm waiting for my dealer's demo car to be run in before I review it. Interested to see what I think of the additional chassis strengthening. 

Just for your notes, the stock car (excepting the Primo which around two people bought) has everything this does including cruise control etc as standard. The only additions in the new car are steering wheel controls and of course the changes to the dash display. 

Thanks Lauren. I've tweaked the article slightly to reflect what you say.

I'm planning to compare the new model with the old one in a handling test at some point.

No worries. My best guess is the new model will understeer more, or oversteer less, depending upon your viewpoint. I am interested to see how I find the new car in terms of it's handling and whether the extra apparent chassis rigidity makes a difference. I suspect that it will be more about reducing NVH over anything else, but we shall see. 

6 minutes ago, Lauren said:

No worries. My best guess is the new model will understeer more, or oversteer less, depending upon your viewpoint. I am interested to see how I find the new car in terms of it's handling and whether the extra apparent chassis rigidity makes a difference. I suspect that it will be more about reducing NVH over anything else, but we shall see. 

I'll be putting it up against the new BRZ in a few weeks too, which should help to highlight any handling differences between pre- and post-facelift cars.

Don't forget the BRZ had different spring rates compared to the GT86, so you want another GT86 to compare with. My guess is that in the revised model, they've made the spring rates more like the BRZ. 

4 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Don't forget the BRZ had different spring rates compared to the GT86, so you want another GT86 to compare with. My guess is that in the revised model, they've made the spring rates more like the BRZ. 

Exactly - should give me a more rounded impression of the whole line-up. I'm looking to compare as much as I can!

Are you sure about that? I've never met the other one... :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree about the lack of the 'three flashes' on the indicator. That's annoying and a weird omission. I'd also add the annoyance of having to press a button to fold the mirrors whilst the ignitions still on.

The back seats are perfectly serviceable though and make all the difference. Can you think of another sports car under £30k that you can fit your kids in? I couldn't - which is why I own one. They might be tight - but I'd have to put them in the boot of an MX5!

So there's the niche. People who quite fancy a Caterham, Elise or even a secondhand Cayman but have a family! Not all Dads covet a Q7 ;-D

I've never been a fan of the lane changing indicator thing tbh. I personally don't feel that three flashes are enough to last you signalling your intent and then actually making the move and it's probably this that encourages people to start indicating as they start turning.

Having had my GT for very nearly a week, there's a few niggles I've noticed. Yes, three flashes has caught me out but I'm starting to adapt. The interior light seems to go out very quickly (imho), and I miss having 'get you to the door' foglights on locking the car.

On an unrelated note, I'm sure on some other cars I (test) drove, there was a gear indicator on the screen, even with a manual - am I imagining that? My car doesn't seem to have it.

Yeah found it in the manual. Problem was, I couldn't actually get to the relevant menu, it just kept cycling through the trip meter. 

Then, about five minutes ago I found out about the ignition mode that doesn't start the engine 😂

Gear indicator now working, sorry for being a plonker 👍🏻

14 hours ago, knightryder said:

Flash the headlights before you get out the car after you turn it off. 30 seconds (or is it 1 minute) of light ;)

Ooh, will try that next time. Thank you :)

On 11/01/2017 at 1:39 PM, Nicebiscuit said:

Are you sure about that? I've never met the other one... :-D

I've seen 2 other red ones without a rear wing, one was moving so don't know if it was a Primo or not, the other was parked and wasn't a Primo, was just lacking the rear wing!