Sign in to follow this  
Nicebiscuit

Lexus LC500 - what do we think?

It's getting good reviews -

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/lexus/lc/first-drives/2017-lexus-lc-500-sport-review

I rather like it. It's pretty. It does strike me as very much the GT86's grown up sibling, and if I were in the market it's more interesting than the usual options...

Good for Toyota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, I think they'll price themselves out of the market if that price estimate is true, much like they did with the LFA.

0-60 in 4.5 seconds and 168mph is £50,000-60,000 sports coupe territory, at £80,000-90,000 I can't really see what market they're trying to get into.

Sports cars at that price are things like the 911, F-Type etc. and performance wise, Lexus aren't even close.

If they're looking at luxury GT market, they're in the Aston V8 and Mercedes SL area, another market I think they'll struggle to get a share of.

That being said, the LFA had similar problems, and it's still one of the 3 all time favourite cars, so what do I know.

Or BMW i8 competitor for the forthcoming hybrid one?

You're probably right about the sales. A bit like the GT86 - fails the 'pub conversation' test because there are other cars for the money with more impressive stats. The 86 also got terrific reviews, and doesn't sell like it deserves.

I just like the focus in the reviews on it being fun to drive. Bodes well for the forthcoming Supra as well...

I like it, even the Lexus front grill that spoils the looks of most Lexus seems to suit it fairly well. Strange this isn't the new supra platform, as looks like it isn't far off power and size wise, of what would be expected. The BMW z5 version supra looks a lot smaller than this. 

The big issue will be this: Kerb weight 1935kg.

This will impact too much on how it drives. 

Is that the kerb weight for the hybrid one?

Is it wildly out of line with the competition? It's not a small car...

It's the weight listed in the article. Two tonnes is crazy heavy, so yes it is well over compared to the competition. This will cause it the same problem as the RCF (which is 1700kgs and too heavy). 

1935kg! :blink:

That's almost Land Rover territory. Also, rear quarter visibility looks laughably bad, the interior looks like it was photoshopped together from F-type and BMW parts. It's more like they're after the XK than any of the sporty numbers cited in the review!

On 09/12/2016 at 5:52 PM, Lauren said:

The big issue will be this: Kerb weight 1935kg.

That's near enough the Kerb weight of the RS6! Which has 605hp on tap, huge boot space, proper rear seats and all weather ability! I know what i'd rather have as my daily cruiser, despite the understeer :lol:

On 09/12/2016 at 5:52 PM, Lauren said: The big issue will be this: Kerb weight 1935kg.

That's near enough the Kerb weight of the RS6! Which has 605hp on tap, huge boot space, proper rear seats and all weather ability! I know what i'd rather have as my daily cruiser, despite the understeer 

The RS6 has got to be one of the fastest A to B cars that can fit 5 ppl in comfort.

2 hours ago, Keethos said:

Is this supposed to be bigger or smaller than the RC F? Cos they're 1,765 kg aren't they?

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

It's bigger, shared platform with the LS, the RC is shared with GS. I didn't feel that the RC was that big, certainly didn't drive like it weighs and I tried the 300h which is more wooly than the 200t. Hopefully the V6 hybrid delivery is better than the 4 pot in the RC.

GT86 isn't exactly lightweight either. I'm quite surprised how heavy it is when you see how small it is next to other cars, plus the nature of the trim soundproofing panels etc. Something somewhere must weigh a lot...

MX5 nearly 200kg lighter. Why?

2 minutes ago, Nicebiscuit said:

GT86 isn't exactly lightweight either. I'm quite surprised how heavy it is when you see how small it is next to other cars, plus the nature of the trim soundproofing panels etc. Something somewhere must weigh a lot...

You say its a small car.... sure next and a 1.5 ton family car, but until you park next to a car weighing a ton.... such as a new MX5 or a lotus elise... then its not such a small car!

41 minutes ago, Nicebiscuit said:

MX5 is a true 2 seater, which is why it's almost a foot shorter than the 86. That's almost a foot less material, less seats, less speakers, less carpet, less sound deadening, less windows, less seatbelts and so on.

I'd bet a 2+2 MX5 wouldn't be far off a GT86 in weight, same as if the GT was designed to be a true 2 seater, it would probably be significantly lighter.

1 hour ago, Nicebiscuit said:

Because its the size of a cake tin and has no roof.

As for the Lexus, it doesn't do it for me, interior looks awful and the outside isnt much better.

Ok then - a Ford Fiesta ST. 4 proper seats - not engineered to be lightweight at all - approx 1150kg...

Anyhow - it's not that I'm concerned particularly. My point was that as far as affordable sporty cars go, the GT86 is no featherweight, but it's still considered one of the best to drive.

So with the Lexus - on paper it's a barge - in real life the reviewers seem to think it works well. Probably best thought of as an AMG Merc rival. Various Merc SLs have come and gone and they've always been lardy for their time yet considered great GTs...

2 minutes ago, Nicebiscuit said:

Ok then - a Ford Fiesta ST. 4 proper seats - not engineered to be lightweight at all - approx 1150kg...

1.6l engine and FWD. Sits high for leg room and space allowing front and back seats in a small footprint.

Its nearly a foot shorter and narrower....

Okay ;-D. But that kind of aligns with my point - the same things you quote above as differences are arguably the things that make the GT86 better to drive than a comparably powerful and practical hot hatch. They also make it heavier...

So weight isn't the be all and end all...