Sign in to follow this  
Paul

40k service

Is the gearbox oil change an extra charge on top of Toyotas fixed price full service cost of £360? What do you actually get for a £360 service as looks like its just Engine oil and filter, diff oil and brake fluid. 

Pretty expensive really as it use to cost me half that with the Lotus. 

So my Toyota Garage did replace it at 40k miles without charge, they put in 75w90 which wasn't what i actually had in there, I was running on 75w0 which I found much better.

Went back today and they put 75w0 back in at no charge, took them about 30 mins. 

Gear change is silky smooth again.

Stock would have had a W80 I believe, so a bit thinner when hot. 

FWIW I changed my gearoil oil to millers crx 75W90. The stock box would get sloppy at trackdays due to the heat. The millers stuff goes some way to help with that. Admittedly I added the whiteline positive shifter insert too so it could be that.

One things for sure, the whiteline and Millers combo makes the cold shift worse, so a word of warning there.   

Pretty sure that's what the guy said Rich, I could be wrong.

It is a very smooth shift now even when the car's cold so trackdays it might get a bit sloppy. Before I do another one I have to get brakes sorted anyway so I'll be looking at options, for now at least I don't feel as if I'm about to snap the stick going from 2nd>1st.

Richard is quite right, it's just an inspection at 40K miles. I've done 92K miles and am still on the original oil. I've had no problems and I don't understand this notion of the gearbox getting a 'bit sloppy' in all honesty. It works fine and is only a bit stiff when cold, but I've not noticed any difference between how it is in normal driving and how it is on a trackday, it just seems to work the same. 

I had mine changed at 40k service just so I can go forward knowing what has been done, car has done 33k but being the 2nd owner I can now keep tabs on everything.

Richard is quite right, it's just an inspection at 40K miles. I've done 92K miles and am still on the original oil. I've had no problems and I don't understand this notion of the gearbox getting a 'bit sloppy' in all honesty. It works fine and is only a bit stiff when cold, but I've not noticed any difference between how it is in normal driving and how it is on a trackday, it just seems to work the same. 

The sloppy stick was a very real thing on my car when things got hot. It got more noticeable towards the end of the day as things got heat soaked. I could literally feel the gearbox getting tighter as I drove home.

Could be the rubber bush to all fairness as it's a lot better since I changed the gear oil and added whiteline bush.

I can see why a service is so expensive when they charge £30 for an oem air filter. Had my 4 year service done and saved a few quid as I have a k&n panel filter.