Igi

Opinion in Japan Racing alloys

Evening all

I'm looking at purchasing a set of new Alloys. 

They are the Japan Racing JR20's, 18" 8.5J and ET35, what are your guys thoughts on these? I'm not looking to use them in track in fact I'm not looking to take it on track any time soon so it's more of a cosmetic change than anything else as I'm really not a big fan of the stock wheels.

Hapy Halloween! 🎃 

Here's a quick link. http://jr-wheels.com/towar.3048.japan.racing.jr20.18x85.et40.5x112114.silver.mac.html

Thanks for your reply good sir . 

I'm looking at getting these for a relatively cheap price so thought why not, just wondering what they'd look like on the twins, only one way to find out  now! 👍

I've got JR11's on mine and love them, no issues so far :)

You should check out @Tarmac if you end up ordering them, they offer a free fitting kit to 86 owners and are very helpful. They were also the cheapest place I could find when I got mine.

They don't have the full range listed on their site but if you give Chris a call he can give you a price.

£300 for a set of 18" 8.5J ET35 in machined silver, I couldn't turn the opportunity down, just need to source out some good tyres, what does everyone suggest on 225/40/18's? Not trying to break the bank but wouldn't fancy ending up going anticlockwise on roundabouts with some budget tyre wet grip. . . 

1 hour ago, Igi said:

£300 for a set of 18" 8.5J ET35 in machined silver, I couldn't turn the opportunity down, just need to source out some good tyres, what does everyone suggest on 225/40/18's? Not trying to break the bank but wouldn't fancy ending up going anticlockwise on roundabouts with some budget tyre wet grip. . . 

Yokohama V105's seem to be the favourite choice on here. I sssume it was a private sale if you've got the wheels that cheap? 

3 hours ago, Igi said:

Think I saw these possibly if they had been 17 may have got them only 1 hour from my house

4 hours ago, Tom B said:

Yokohama V105's seem to be the favourite choice on here. I sssume it was a private sale if you've got the wheels that cheap? 

Yes, from the one and only stealbay but it was a brand new unused set so I wasn't bothered as much 👍

2 hours ago, nikndel said:

Thanks for pointing me at the yokohamas, most reviews seem to give them a lot of praise but I'll have to see if I can stretch the budget, the aim was to total £500 for the whole shebang :wacko:

16 minutes ago, Igi said:

Yes, from the one and only stealbay but it was a brand new unused set so I wasn't bothered as much 👍

They were a bargain but would have had to buy tyres when I have spare 17s☹️

5 minutes ago, Igi said:

Thanks for pointing me at the yokohamas, most reviews seem to give them a lot of praise but I'll have to see if I can stretch the budget, the aim was to total £500 for the whole shebang :wacko:

I really would spend more than £50 a corner! Remember that it's your only contact with the road so your braking and how you put the power down will be effected if your running a set of budgets!

Tyres should be one of the things you never skimp on no matter what, I've heard plenty of people that have done with the 86 and regretted it and can remember a few that have has an accident because of it. Plus in the long run it wouldn't work out much more expensive at all due to the fact that a high end tyre like a V105 (which is what I also run) should in theory last a lot longer than a cheap generic tyre.

Have a look on black circles and you'll see that they get be acquired for a pretty reasonable price in my opinion

I'm sure a lot of people will agree with me on this! :) 

I have JR alloys for winter wheels and like them. Good value at the price and seem decently made.

As per comments above I wouldn't touch budget tyres though. I run the Yokos on 18s on my summer wheels and they are really good.

Tyres are more important than anything else - I used to spend £70-80 a corner even on the £1500 cars I've run!

Could be worse though. A replacement rear on my old BMW was £200 .

We're lucky with the 86 - decent rubber is cheap on this car. As well as the Yokohamas, there are decent options from Kumho, Vredestein and Uniroyal around the same price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Nicebiscuit said:

As per comments above I wouldn't touch budget tyres though. I run the Yokos on 18s on my summer wheels and they are really good.

Tyres are more important than anything else - I used to spend £70-80 a corner even on the £1500 cars I've run!

Could be worse though. A replacement rear on my old BMW was £200 emoji30.png.

We're lucky with the 86 - decent rubber is cheap on this car. As well as the Yokohamas, there are decent options from Kumho, Vredestein and Uniroyal around the same price.

I've put Uniroyals on my cars before and had been satisfied especially minding their price. 

I'm not saying that I wouldn't spend that much on tyres as the last set I bought set me back £450. I do appreciate everyone's input about the safety concern of budget tyres and do agree but I'm purely talking here about the fact that I was looking at limiting my budget at the moment, I might go about it differently and try to pick up a set of part worn tyres instead... Or just run the stock wheels until spring and then change for brand new shoes 👍

3 hours ago, Lauren said:

Speak to Riceburner on here. He can get a good price on the Yokos. 

I shall drop a message, thanks! 

I always urge people into Vredesteins, I think they're great. On par with anything I've tried in the dry (although I have never had Yoko's I admit) and up there with Uniroyal Rainsports in the wet, which is perfect for around here when it's raining a lot.

They're also very quiet, and after nearly 10k miles on my current set, I still have probably 5mm of tread on the rear. All round very good.

Only slight downside is they're around £95 a tyre in 225/40/18, but small price to pay for quality imo.

59 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

I always urge people into Vredesteins, I think they're great. On par with anything I've tried in the dry (although I have never had Yoko's I admit) and up there with Uniroyal Rainsports in the wet, which is perfect for around here when it's raining a lot.

They're also very quiet, and after nearly 10k miles on my current set, I still have probably 5mm of tread on the rear. All round very good.

Only slight downside is they're around £95 a tyre in 225/40/18, but small price to pay for quality imo.

That's interesting as I used to have the vreds on my last car in 18's and was massively underwhelmed. 

3 minutes ago, Deacon said:

That's interesting as I used to have the vreds on my last car in 18's and was massively underwhelmed. 

Which ones? There are 3 or 4 different models of very different uses. The Sessanta's are very good as a mid performance tyre, the Vorti's aren't so good in that aspect, but a good all season.

I ran them on the Porsche for a few years, and now my first set on the 86.

Hmm. Interesting. I guess we all have our tastes. In this case it's one time where I agree with the internet. They are one of the highest rated tyres around if you just read reviews etc. (tyrereviews.co.uk for one example) and my real world experience justified those reviews.

I run the Vorti's on the 86 as they're a little better in the wet, which I felt was more necessary for Wales. Not sure if you'd like these more, but I haven't found much to dislike in either these or the Sessantas.

I wouldn't trust 'tyrereviews.co.uk' though. Sometimes that can mean a sample of a handful of people. Most have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to tyres either. The problem with tyres always remains about what reviews to value and all that. 

I just used them as an example. You can also look at Evo's tyre tests, where I believe the Sessanta's came third to the Pilot Sports and something else, and a few other magazine tests.

Also, while tyrereviews may not be the be all and end all of review sites, when I was looking for tyres for the Porsche a few years ago, I looked around at the tyres I had tried in the past, and the general consensus was very comparable to my own experience. The thing is, rather than just looking at the scores, you have to read through the reviews and find owners with similar cars to your own. As soon as you start reading through the reviews, you realise which are the proper reviews and which are just on there to complain or otherwise (for example, the people who score tyres 100/100 or 0/100). There is just as much chance of the reviews being unfairly judged one way as the other. There are people on there who will judge a tyre as 0/100 if it lasts less than 20k miles, for example. 

Fact is, there are just as many clueless people as there are useful reviews no matter what tyre you look at, and from my experience the results of all that variety tends to be fairly accurate.

Aside from the tyre review sites though, ask on any enthusiasts forum that I've been on what tyres to buy and those same names crop up...

There's usually a healthy debate about which of the midrange brands/models is best, but it's always between those choices...

What there is almost always a consensus on though is a) cheap Chinese tyres are still crap and B) it's not really worth paying more for the 'premium' brands.

I imagine it's only a matter of time though... if the Chinese can build MacBooks, they'll eventually make great tyres, and probably cheaper... but see no evidence of it yet. Someone else can be the guinea pig there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk