Igi

Bore Da!

Hello everybody! 

So it's now time that I introduce myself to your family! 

Name's Igor, live in South Wales and as of hopefully next couple of weeks I shall be joining the gt86 club with a purchase of a 35k mile 63 plate Toyota in black. Now the car isn't going to be mine until I part ways with my current vehicle which is a Nissan Juke that I have loved and cared for for nearly three years and I'm slowly in a process of putting it back to stock and selling off all the nice things. I'm 22 and very slowly getting to an age at which it is nearly affordable to drive something quicker than a micra. I've been born and bred a petrolhead so the excitement of buying my first sports car is bigger than anything ever. 

Now the Juke has attended many shows with me, it had been modified to compensate for the top heavy chassis with multiple sway bars, coilovers, alloys you name it. Also I believe I was the first person in UK to have fit brakes big enough to stop a train in a juke as well 👍. 

But you guys don't want to hear about that anyway! 

So, here I am, full of excitement over meeting all of you great people and sharing this great passion! 

Now I'd like to quickly start off with asking this question, just how far could one push the FA20 without going FI? The previous car was a 1.6T and I pushed around 250bhp at the wheels but this time around I'd like to maybe go the NA way (so not JDM)... 

Regards, Igi! 

Welcome aboad. Exciting times. 

I think realistically before it starts getting very expensive, so exhaust manifold, decat, exhaust, remap will give you around 215bhp or so if you choose wisely. I would say no chance of getting anywhere near 250bhp without serious money and I know of nobody that has achieved this. Will cost you around £2K to get this far. Though there is a big increase in drivability and mid-range torque which makes a huge difference to how the car drives and the manner in which the power is delivered. 

The compression ratio is already high at 12.5:1, you're only way for more power is to rev higher and there are limitations with the rockers for the cams and the conrods are a weak point, so you're looking at a lot of money for not much gain. I don't know anyone that has done this. In all honesty with 215bhp or and the mods I mentioned, the car is easily quick enough to enjoy. 

Obviously once you start doing that you'll want to upgrade wheels, tyres and suspension. 

Hi Igi, welcome along to the club :) 

Juke is a nice car, I do have a bit of a soft spot for them but admittedly they are no GT86. You'll probably find it very hard and extremely expensive to an extent to get any sizeable power from N/A

With a remap, exhaust system and panel filter people are seeing 20bhp ish gains, other than that you'd need to spend a huge amount of money for very little return. Which is why F/I is so popular.

As Lauren has said, the car is quick enough to enjoy N/A anyway so stick with that for a few years and see how things go. I think after you do some research if you wanted more power you'd be better off going the F/I route and if you wanted to keep that N/A feel then there's plenty of supercharger offerings available now.

Welcome along.

In terms of na power even the TRD griffin only makes 230bhp na - I think realistically you'll struggle to get much more than 220 na. But it's not all about the power with these like it is on some cars.

Hey Igor, My previous car was in fact a Nissan Juke and I loved it! even just a relatively standard 1.5TD it was fun to drive! The GT86 is a different beast though! I'd imagine you'll miss the Turbo surge from the Juke but not much else, the GT86 is a great car. Have some money aside for modifying it as you won't be able to resist! :D

Congrats and welcome to the club, plenty of information and mods on here so do have a browse around, there'll be plenty of meets (and if you wish, organise a local meet yourself if you want) for you to check out what others have done.

Thanks for all your replies everybody, I'm going to further stress this topic when I comes to heavily modifying the car. Don't get me wrong I love some turbo flutter as much as the next guy but I might stick to the NA route because not many people do. 

Lauren, first step in fact is the wheels (they look hideous if I'm honest) and probably lowering springs for now and since this is my first RWD I'm going to the it slow and first of all learn how to drive one. 

Steevo I'm from Cwmbran so not that far at all! 

Cheers guys! 

Well Igi, if you need to know what a ~210-215hp GT86 feels like, let me know. I'm from Cwmbran too, so more than happy to meet you one evening and take you for a spin.

No doubt you've probably seen my car driving around, especially if you work around this area too.

Be nice to see another modified one going around.

As requested, here's irene 😊

I'll take you up on that offer, anything other than a Toyota salesman in an automatic gt86 is better to see what the car is really like! 

I'm predicting some nice SW club meet coming next year what do you guys think? 

Igi

2016-08-31_20_58_28.jpg

9 hours ago, Igi said:

Lauren, first step in fact is the wheels (they look hideous if I'm honest) and probably lowering springs for now and since this is my first RWD I'm going to the it slow and first of all learn how to drive one. 

If it's your first RWD car, learn how it goes stock first before you change anything. Lowering springs will improve the look but ruin the ride. Far better to save for coilovers and do it properly. If I was you, I'd spend my money on driving tuition on track and the like. The relatively low grip of the Primacy tyre will mean you can learn car control at lower speeds, which is a good thing. It's very different if all you've driven is FWD. Once you've done all that then look at upgrades. Yes the wheels are hideous but they'll do the job for the moment, then you can have time to consider what kind of wheels etc you are looking for. 

Also a good idea to get out to some meets and see how other's have modified their cars. Will give you plenty of ideas. :)

Forgot to post an update in here. Igor and I met up for an hour or so the other night. I think it's safe to say he enjoyed the GT (or maybe just my exuberant driving style) and as far as I'm aware, he has placed his deposit on one from our local dealer.

Perhaps when he has picked his new car up we can celebrate with a day out in the Beacons, of course open invitation to anyone in the area or who fancies the drive to south Wales :)

Completely forgot as well, Ross has been ever so kind to take me out on a quick spirited drive which made me even more convinced about the purchase, he answered all my question and cleared the doubts. 

Yes the deposit is down and the car should already be waiting for me at the dealer. To say I'm excited is an understatement! 

Lauren thank you also for your reply, I'm definitely looking forward to meeting all you guys and seeing just what can be done to the cars, I've already been reading up topics on this forum trying to learn more about the suspension setups and their pros/cons but you are right polishing my driving skills would be the best first step. We'll see how it goes I guess when I get the cat it'll go through a thorough clean/polish stage so that'll take me probably until the end of the month, next year is when I plan on the bigger stuff to happen 😊

I shall keep you all updated but I'm looking to get the car on the road around 11th of November (waiting to get my NCD on insurance first) besides I'm going to be away for most of the time until then anyway, but soon as I get time on some weekend I am definitely down for a meet! 

11th is a Friday, perfect opportunity to organise a meet that following weekend and go for a proper drive somewhere nice.

Once you get firmer confirmation of the date, let me know and I'll get something set up in terms of a meet.

Cheers buddy, I'll be in touch with you soon as I'm sure the dates are concrete. 

The more the merrier so the quicker we can get organising maybe the more people would join us hopefully we can also play by the weather we all know just how predictable and kind the valleys are with the rain 😂

I previously had a Juke Nismo 200 when they first got released, it was on lease so couldnt mod if but it was in desperate need of bigger front brakes and suspension tweeks to handle the power, never got round to trying the 215 revision with bigger brakes and a lsd.

The GT86 is quicker then suggested on paper especially when you get some more grippy tyres.