GNoodle

Winter Prep - What's your routine?

In the words of the Starks 'winter is coming'.  Bit of a car wash noob myself, but thought I should strip all the wax and seal for winter, so spent yesterday:

Snow foam
Tar, Bug, Iron, Grime removal
Wash
Clay
Tough Prep
AG SRP
AG EGP (2 coats)

Will do another coat of extra gloss protection today, then a coat or two of wax...  hopefully should last through the winter.

What will you be doing to protect through winter?

DSC02514.jpg

DSC02515.jpg

DSC02516.jpg

DSC02523.jpg

I did my winter prep before trax/silverstone.

- Juicy Detailing brake dust spray

- Juicy Detailing -Snow Foam

- Autoglym shampoo

-G3 clay mitt to remove previous wax and sealant,if people hate using clay bar you should try this out.

- Autoglym polish

- Poorboys Black hole 

- Dodo juice superhybrid natural wax+sealant 

The following  rainy morning on trax i was meant to apply quick wax spray from juicy detailing but then i spun the car on my way. Luckily no damage apart from front grill bottom clips got knocked off by a branch and the wax protected the paint work. The day was just horrible so i couldn't be bothered and just quick detail spray and my quick wax spray leaked out of my bag.

Just washed with Autoglym shampoo, polished the bonnet and bumper with Autoglym SRP, waxed the whole car with Autoglym HD and applied Rainex to the rear window.

I would have sealed with FK1000P but read on the forums where someone had it react with the lacquer on a GT86.

6 hours ago, Minion said:

Too cold to wash means trip down to the eastern Europeans for me ;) 

do they use the same sponges and cloths all day?  I'd be worried about scratches and stuff

Added the third coat of extra gloss protection today, then two coats of R222 wax on top, waxed the wheels too.

I'm hoping more is less doesn't work for car protection :-)

Still it'll look okay till it rains next...

DSC02542.jpg

DSC02547.jpg

29 minutes ago, rob275 said:

Out of interest why do you use wax? Synthetic sealants last so much longer.

yea good question...  I put three layers of sealant on (AG EGP), but I'm hoping with the wax over the top, it will act as a sacrificial layer to help the sealant last all the way through winter.  The R222 wax doesn't have any additives or solvents in, so fingers crossed, won't have disturbed the sealant.

Ahh OK didn't read the thread properly clearly yeah it won't affect the sealant and will give it a nice gloss. Fwiw red is a colour wax can really bring out!

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

With the previous car in white,  winter meant:

- Bodywork - A complete decontamination (bugs tar iron and general fallout) then stripping the waxes and sealants, quick buff over then last it was poor boys white diamond and extra **** shine glazes topped up with Soft99 Fusso and King of Gloss. 

- Windows -  Received a polish with autoglym's glass polish then sealed with gtechniq all around

- Wheels - full decontamination all around plus either a poor boys wheel sealant or later the gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour

- Engine bay cleaned, polished with Meguiar's NXT Metal Polysh, plus All Black on all plastics. 

- Underbody/Wheel Wells - Car up on ramps, thorough wash out and them a general two/three coat with Bilt Hamber Dynax

Hope this helps in some kind of way 👍

I'm after some advice chaps.

I polished my car with a DA a few months back using SRP. It was pretty good at the time but the swirls are back; presumably because the fillers from the srp have gone. At the time I put a coat of extra gloss protection and it seemed pretty good.

Looking to do a bit of winter prep. SPR is perhaps not abrasive enough so what do people use to remove swirls?

I'll follow it with a coat or two of Extra Gloss Protection and then some wax on top. 

Any advice/suggestions welcome :)

52 minutes ago, Ade said:

I'm after some advice chaps.

I polished my car with a DA a few months back using SRP. It was pretty good at the time but the swirls are back; presumably because the fillers from the srp have gone. At the time I put a coat of extra gloss protection and it seemed pretty good.

Looking to do a bit of winter prep. SPR is perhaps not abrasive enough so what do people use to remove swirls?

I'll follow it with a coat or two of Extra Gloss Protection and then some wax on top. 

Any advice/suggestions welcome :)

Using SRP with a DA is a pointless exercise how bad are your swirls? I'd recomment Menzerna as i've used it with fab results but other brands will do the trick.

Depending on how bad your swirls are will depends on what pads & compounds you'd need to use. If they are heavy you'd need to go over it with a medium pad and a medium compound then a finishing pad and finishing compound. Or you may get away with just a finishing pad & compound.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/menzerna-car-care-and-detailing-products.html

Paint is pretty soft so you should be able to get away with a Medium 2500 or Final Finish 3000

4 minutes ago, rob275 said:

Using SRP with a DA is a pointless exercise how bad are your swirls? I'd recomment Menzerna as i've used it with fab results but other brands will do the trick.

Depending on how bad your swirls are will depends on what pads & compounds you'd need to use. If they are heavy you'd need to go over it with a medium pad and a medium compound then a finishing pad and finishing compound. Or you may get away with just a finishing pad & compound.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/menzerna-car-care-and-detailing-products.html

Paint is pretty soft so you should be able to get away with a Medium 2500 or Final Finish 3000

They are fairly light swirls. I've always used the two bucket method and a noodle mit but 3 years of washing has added a lot and in direct sunlight its pretty bad up close.  

I've got a meguiers soft polishing pad for the DA.

I'll try the final finish 3000 as I would rather start fine and go up. Cheers 

My car is coated in Gtechniq Crystal Serum so I'll be doing absolutely nothing special. Driving it very little and washing it as and when required. I'll then be taking it to my Gtechniq guy after winter for a full decontamination and sealant check-up.

@Ade it should be fine providing the swirls are light. You may want to pick up a yellow pad as well though and run a test area with both pads and see what the results are like and make an informed decision on that.

When i find the time:

• Autobrite Magifoam pre wash
  • Wash with AG Shampoo
  • Clay with Farecla G3 clay mitt
  • Machine polish with Menzerna Super Finish SF3500 on a 3M blue finishing pad (minimal correction needed)
  • Polish up the exhaust tips and clean the glass (not sure what to use on this yet, possibly Autobrite Repel Advanced but its expensive)
  • Wipe the car down with diluted IPA
  • Then a coat of Sonax Xtreme Protect & Shine Hybrid NPT.

This should take me a full days graft. My aim is for the car to look glossy and to be as hydrophobic as physically possible, the better this is the easier it will be to clean and the longer it will stay clean.

19 minutes ago, rob275 said:

haha that sucks! Yeah it's less abrasive but only marginally. It'll make it more glossy lol. You might find it'll take a while but see.

I've messaged the seller. Might see if I can get a discount on a meduim compound because they messed up the order. 

So my mate offering to lend his das 6 pro has let me down. Time to get my own da. Currently the das 6 is £60 is the das 6 pro worth almost double the money? Considering I'm not grinding away on an old knackered car, rather just removing light swirls I would think the das 6 will suffice?