long-gone

Grover's ginger jap

I enjoy reading what others are doing with their GT86 & BRZs so it's only fair I document mine - warts and all.

Long story short; test drove an auto July 2012, placed order same day and took receipt of my my shiny new GT86 1 September 2012. The 'run in' period, such as it was, was great fun. First day I popped over to the Brecon Beacons and clocked up a few hundred miles, next day nearer to home around the Cotswolds and the third and last day when I went through 1,000 miles was down to Exmoor, Dartmoor and North Devon.

Run in complete, I went to Infinity to get a custom exhaust made - there were no off the shelf solutions at the time. We spent two days trying to get it right but really suffered with a horrible harmonic drone between 2,500-4,000 RPM. Made a couple of attempts to sort it but I was getting pissed off and unable to enjoy my new toy so decided to revert to OEM. Not Infinity's fault, they were happy to keep working on it - I was just too impatient.

Nothing much happened for a while except small things like tinted rear windows, centre console arm rest fitted, and switched tyres to Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 215/45R17 Y (91). I thought the Asy 2s were great; excellent grip in the dry and very good in the wet. Didn't last long though; rears were tired by 5,000 miles and shot by 7,000. Hmmm.

Around this time Dave Hillbrook offered me a drive in his turbo GT86. Mini review a couple of posts down, here: CLICK. It was awesome and I almost took the plunge myself but bottled it. About the only thing I took from Dave's car was the black trim - much prefer it to the dodgy satin chrome bits.

Next came a few more bolt on goodies like Cosworth air filter, shark fin aerial, tail lights, etc.

At about 24,000 miles the brakes started to wear so replaced the front discs with similar spec Brembo rotors and switched to EBC greenstuff pads all round. No more squealing - yay!

Next up was a trip to Fensport to get a remap. I decided to go for Tein lowering springs, Eibach ARBs, camber adjust kit, AVO cat-back and the remap. Initially I was delighted - torque dip much diminished, more torque all round and stiffer & flatter in corners. However, it didn't take long for me to realize it was too harsh for a daily drive. Would've been fine for track but I couldn't live with it on the rubbish roads around here. I assumed it was the springs at fault so reverted to OEM/stock springs but it's not a lot better. Must be the ARBs. I'll get back to this...

Not long after the remap I started to get error codes and dropping into limp mode. Turned out to be a faulty coilpack which was replaced under warranty. Nice one Platinum Toyota - no quibble excellent service.

More recently I bought a set of OZ Racing Ultralegerra alloys with which I'm very happy. Slightly wider and shod in Yokohama Advan Sport V105 which are excellent in all conditions and appear to be lasting much better than the Goodyears.

That's me pretty much up to date...

Next post here will be up-coming mods which will be a little more adventurous but still nothing Earth shattering.

Next on the list is headers. Decided to go for Tuning Developments EL and overpipe, but slowly changing my mind and may switch to unequal when it comes to installation which isn't until second weekend of August.

As and when funds and time allows, my list is currently:

• Tein coilovers & EDFC Decided against these, probably going to be Bilstein B14
  • Final drive
  • Aluminium prop-shaft
  • Lightweight pulleys
  • Braided brake lines
  • Master cylinder support/brace
  • Low temp thermostat

Feel more comfortable messing about with it as it approaches 50,000 miles and four years.

If I completely mess it up I'll just buy a new one, the 2017 model has some interesting changes.

It's only been a few days and I've changed my mind already. :wacko:

As the ride's pretty harsh and I've starting getting an unwelcome clunk in fast left turns I'm sorting the handling first. Need to get stock/OEM ARBs and a set of the Billies as per Nicebiscuit's review here.

Like the sound of what you've done, you're on PH forum as well right? Any new pics?

Would you recommend the yoko v105 tyres and do they still offer the fun factor allowing some slip?

Like the sound of what you've done, you're on PH forum as well right? Any new pics?

Would you recommend the yoko v105 tyres and do they still offer the fun factor allowing some slip?

I've just swapped onto the Yokohamas. They'll still slip but more progressive and don't do it when you don't want to. Huge improvement. Mind you I suspect the same would be true of most half decent performance tyres. The Michelin Eco tyres are crap in every application...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, bassett said:

Yep. PH may not be what it once was, but I still spend some time there.

No proper photos, though I took a couple of snaps last time I cleaned it.

june%2016.jpg

As Lauren & Nicebiscuit said, V105 are leagues ahead of the Primacy and way better than the Assymetric 2 I had previously. Very happy with them.

Yours is looking good too, despite being one of the slower colours. :P

Swapped anti-roll bars with S10 RSG courtesy of FCM Motorsport. Very happy.

I can feel even the stock suspension working as it should now and it's a joy to corner with pace again. Once the B14s are fitted I may explore alternative ARBs again, but this time thinner - may even try deleting. So much feel and grip is lost when the dampers are not allowed to work properly.

Expecting the Bilsteins to be properly set up for use with stock ARBs though so will hopefully leave OE for the foreseeable.

Further to my post here: CLICK - job's a good'n.

Mike and co at Tuning Developments has done a sterling job, despite time consuming complications. Not sure what the problem was exactly, but they were working on it until gone 9 o'clock on Saturday night and again Sunday morning 'til lunchtime. I'm pretty sure I'm not their favourite customer right now. :ph34r:

Anyway, the work. 

• 50,000 mile interim service
  • couple of gaskets on blowing exhaust
  • swap front & rear tyres
  • install Bilstein B14 suspension kit
  • UEL manifold fit & map

It's the first time I've used Tuning Developments and very happy with service and all aspects of communication. Mike explains everything very clearly so even those of us hard of thinking can understand. Not greedy either, as he could've pushed me into the over pipe but said that as I have no plans to go FI I'd probably not see the benefit, so that saved me a few bob.

Once I get back to the office I'll scan the chart, but for the moment, just be assured that the infamous torque dip has been eliminated. Not just in black and white on the chart, but according to my arse/seat dyno too. It's not been miraculously transformed into a rocket ship, but it feels like it. A bit. Mainly because it's so feckin' loud! Seriously. When I first heard it I didn't appreciate quite how loud it is - I just grinned like a kid. It has a very Subaru, off-beat, four banger, boxer burble which barks like a NASCAR on full chat. I suspect it's the AVO TurboWorld 2.1/2" cat-back combined with the TD UEL headers that's responsible. Others with stock exhaust don't seem nearly as loud. It's all a bit ASBO for my liking so am investigating how to reduce the volume a little for those early morning starts and my neighbours' peace of mind.

Extremely happy with the coilovers so far. Nice one nicebiscuit. thumbup.gif

I think the ride is slightly firmer than OEM, but the damping over rough surfaces is leagues ahead. Grip and cornering is also much improved. Aesthetically, not sure by how much it's lowered the car, but the wheel arch gap is reduced a little so guessing maybe 3cm(ish).

P1040664.jpg

Oh yes, Mike (the b*st*rd ;)) took me for a spin in their turbo charged car. It's a very nice implementation - not savage like some of them, but a steady surge of increased power and torque. One thing that's hilarious is the 'screamer pipe' I think he called it. It's brilliant! One day, I will go for one of the FI mods, but not today.

The after graph looks a lot better.   It must help massively in day to day driving with a nice big lump of torque instead of the flat spot

I'm pretty sure I'll be going to tuning developments with mine in the future B)

Looks to sit really nicely on the billies as well mate, I had the B14 kit on a Golf R32 I had and really rated them.

10 minutes ago, LordGrover said:

Engine went bang. Oops!

Engine's been stripped down and main bearings went. Steven Eagell Toyota Northampton have been excellent and sorted the warranty claim - half engine being fitted, hopefully before Christmas.

Sorry to hear that!