Sign in to follow this  
Nicebiscuit

So you want a turboed two litre flat four?

Jag as well... I just find it interesting, as the things that justified more expensive cars are gradually chipped away.

A big part for me of why I'd covet a Porsche or Jag is the flat 6 or V8 you just wouldn't get in a Ford Focus.

But now I do question what I'd get in a Boxster that I couldn't get vastly cheaper in a Cosworthed GT86.

Wish Toyota would get their act together and launch a blown variant. Would be an interesting group test.

It's the same in other categories. I keep looking at Range Rover Evoques trying to work out what on earth justifies the price, but I simply can't. Not big, nothing that interesting technically, not particularly better made. Does nothing much a Vauxhall Astra can't as far as I can see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Keethos said:

A noob question but when did Porsche's have mid engines?

The cayman and boxster have always been mid-engine.

Although (nerd alert): The very first Porsche prototype was actually mid engined...

They've quite a history of mid engines. Various sports racers in the fifties and sixties and the very groovy 914 in the nineteen seventies.

Then you had all the front engined cars from late seventies onwards 928, 924, 944 etc. Though they were v8s/in line fours respectively.

Snobbery means the 944 still isn't worth much despite being arguably the best driving and best made front engine/rear drive sports cars of the eighties.

I'd still like to own one. They are bargains and relatively bulletproof (for a thirty year old car...)

On 5/15/2016 at 10:25 AM, Nicebiscuit said:

But now I do question what I'd get in a Boxster that I couldn't get vastly cheaper in a Cosworthed GT86.

Open top motoring, more than likely a better built engine and better quality car all round. Go for the S and you get an extra half a litre. The 718 Cayman will be cheaper than the Boxter spec for spec so if you don't care for a soft top then that would be my purchase.

Open top motoring, more than likely a better built engine and better quality car all round. Go for the S and you get an extra half a litre. The 718 Cayman will be cheaper than the Boxter spec for spec so if you don't care for a soft top then that would be my purchase.

I know what you mean, but I think the gap between bread and butter and 'premium' cars isn't what it was. Yeah the 86 may be a bit plasticky, but nothing to suggest it won't be durable. And a new Porsche may be an impressive thing, but it's also a complicated thing with as much outsourced componentry as any mass market car. I doubt it'll prove as durable or economic to overhaul as an eighties Carrera say.

So 'better'? I'm sure it is. That many £s better. Not really convinced.

20 hours ago, Nicebiscuit said:

I know what you mean, but I think the gap between bread and butter and 'premium' cars isn't what it was. Yeah the 86 may be a bit plasticky, but nothing to suggest it won't be durable. And a new Porsche may be an impressive thing, but it's also a complicated thing with as much outsourced componentry as any mass market car. I doubt it'll prove as durable or economic to overhaul as an eighties Carrera say.

So 'better'? I'm sure it is. That many £s better. Not really convinced.

'Better' is subjective. My dad has a 12 year old MX-5, its great fun and generally a great car, my GT86 is £20,000 more expensive than but is it £20k better? Not likely.

I have no doubt the new Cayman and Boxster will be awesome cars and I'm sure the new engines will be just as good but I'm not sure how id feel owning a Porsche with a turbo 4 pot in it, nothing special about it, its just a logical, sensible engine, like you say the 6 cylinder engine is a huge part of the appeal, where is the sense of exclusivity when everyone is driving around with a 4 banger under the bonnet. 

Fair point. Engine wise, much as I love it, the 86 isn't a patch on the £1500 Saab it replaced :-D

Quite like having a new car again though :-D

I wasn't really knocking the Porsche - after all they started with flat 4s, derided by idiots as overpriced Beetles but now worth a fortune.

It was more about what relative bargains our cars are.