Deacon

New battery / old battery?

Thought this might be useful for people who have bought their 86's used and are unsure whether they have a 'new', more powerful, or 'old' battery.

First picture is the 'new' battery (you can see it's all black):-

20151028_124949_Hagrid_Black.jpg

Second picture is the 'old' battery (you can see it's white with a black top):-

20141022_164205_Hagrid_Clean.jpg

Just gone through this ordeal myself, battery would go flat, would have to jump to get to the dealership for them to test the battery, which would never fail, so I stumped up and bought the replacement. Below is a picture of the old battery and the new one.

Note the significant power difference.

d8a13011a28d13c67e62c316ef062031.jpg92f4e9100c7a0b98bbb1e04520b4f35b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

** note top is old, bottom is new **

Wow, these things are puny. My ol' RX8 had 68 Ah and crazy cranking amps. I don't know how they ever thought the white-sided batteries would take all the electrical accessory loads, auto-controlled headlights, keyless entry and alarm etc. in poor conditions.

I haven't checked, but as mine is a late 2012 I assume I have the original battery, and due to my 3-4 mile (each way) trip to and from work, I'm not surprised it sometimes has trouble starting in the mornings.

Is this a warranty issue, or something we have to foot the bill for?

I failed to get mine replaced under warranty, I could have kept fighting it, but for the sake of £60 odd quid I decided to get another battery, which in turn is larger.

4 hours ago, S18 RSG said:

I haven't checked, but as mine is a late 2012 I assume I have the original battery, and due to my 3-4 mile (each way) trip to and from work, I'm not surprised it sometimes has trouble starting in the mornings.

Is this a warranty issue, or something we have to foot the bill for?

It's a warranty issue where the battery drains too quickly (and where there is a not a problem elsewhere) or where one or more of the cells stop working. There appears to have been a faulty batch of the old batteries that have caused some problems, but others (including my own from 2013) have always been fine.

In your case you are unlikely to be charging the battery enough via the alternator given the short journeys and the fact that the biggest drain on it is starting the car in the first place, also of course the battery is put under more strain in cold/damp weather. I've had one of these for many years - CTEK - and use it every 4/6 weeks to keep my battery topped up as often I don't do long journeys either so have the same issue that it isn't always getting recharged enough naturally.

Well... You chaps jinxed my battery.

Came out this morning, and absolutely dead.

Car now down at RRG where Richard and colleagues are sorting us out with the usual excellent service.

Car only nine months old, and last driven 5 days ago, so not great - but I'm on the old style battery...

17 hours ago, Captain Duff said:

In your case you are unlikely to be charging the battery enough via the alternator given the short journeys and the fact that the biggest drain on it is starting the car in the first place, also of course the battery is put under more strain in cold/damp weather. I've had one of these for many years - CTEK - and use it every 4/6 weeks to keep my battery topped up as often I don't do long journeys either so have the same issue that it isn't always getting recharged enough naturally.

I have a CTEK MSX 7, but it's permanently wired into our T5 camper, so not really of much use to me.

I think best solution will just be to get them to replace it under warranty. My local branch seems ok with most warranty work.

So... Toyota recovery out to start the car, down to RRG - absolutely bursting at the seams according to Claire - nevertheless here we are a couple of hours later with a new style battery fitted under warranty.

I can only apologise to those of you who don't live in Macclesfield. Top notch service - this must be what it's like owning a Bentley...

I'm not in Macc, but they are one of my closest dealers. Whoever said it's grim up north was talking cobblers.

....and washed and vacuumed too. Now they're just showing off. Think I might flatten the battery again next week too.

Like Deacon, ours would always start but sometimes a bit too slowly for our liking. Pity that you had to fork out for a new one yourself, as ours was a June 13 reg and changed under warranty along with both rear light clusters for free. 

Mind you, we've found Lister's Toyota in Lincoln to be an absolutely fabulous dealership. Nothing too much trouble (free valet too), and I would thoroughly recommend a visit to anyone as the service is top notch. :) 

If you take your car in too many times for warranty work in the same month they stop doing the free "vac & sandpaper" attack. Getting the battery replaced was probably the easiest warranty replacement I've had on my car. Over winter it stopped functioning properly and the car would struggle to start from any journey less than 2 miles (bit awkward going to the cinema then stopping off at a supermarket on the way home. Push starting a car at 2am by yourself is not fun!) even if it had done long runs before. Battery was confirmed crap with whatever they use to test it and replaced straight away.

The new one has handled short journeys, weeks at a time with no use (even with the doors locked/unlocked a few times in that downtime) and still starts with no problems.

On 08/03/2016 at 10:15 AM, S18 RSG said:

I have a CTEK MSX 7, but it's permanently wired into our T5 camper, so not really of much use to me.

I think best solution will just be to get them to replace it under warranty. My local branch seems ok with most warranty work.

Well if you can get a new battery under warranty fair enough, the issue is though that yours does not sound faulty it is just not getting charged fully by regular long journeys. The new bigger capacity batteries will take longer to get to the same level with lots of short journey stop starts but eventually will still discharge to that point too.

AA guy reckoned it was the alarm that gradually depletes the battery. Which would make sense given that it's UK fitted and not part of the original spec. Ours was the third 86 he'd been to recently...

No reason the bigger battery won't solve the problem. Will stop it getting so low between runs...

Had the AA out for mine the other week, cars only a few months old and was only left for 2 weeks tops since its last long drive. AA tested it finding no drain and no battery fault and commented it was on the small side and to drive it more - thanks for that! at least I can use the AA invoice for some proof when I head back to the dealers for an upgrade.

Just checked my car, Subaru are clearly still using the lower powered battery. Not experienced any problems here but car is garaged and used a couple of times per week.

Interesting, if UK BRZ also has same custom alarm, as GT86 has. As i never had any problems with gt86's original battery i sometimes wonder if maybe non standard alarm sys @UK GTs at fault, that uses too much power when car is off/locked. (For example i don't have that mini remote for alarm sys in GT bought here in Latvia). Apart from alarm after all everything rest is same (leaving LHD/RHD aside).