Ade

Ade's Road and Track Toy

I know what it is. I copy and pasted from my thread on the other forum which seems to mess up the scaling on low res screens.

I just went though an individually linked each image to photobucket and it appears to work.

Whiteline positive shift insert and Gear Oil Change

Last weekend I added the whiteline positive shift insert and changed the gearbox oil to Miller CRX 75W90

I'll start with the whiteline insert. Firstly it a piece of cake to install. Don't follow the instructions or the FT86club install as they will have you remove the frontpipe and unbolt the lower bracket which his not required.

All you need to do is jack up the transmission a little, remove the middle bolt and loosen the two either side. Then remove the two exhaust hanger bolts at he back, slide in the insert and bolt it all back together.

Initial impression was "Jesus what have I done" as there was noticeably more gearbox whine and vibration in the lower gears and the exhaust seems louder. I don't know if I got used to it or the noise did go down as it all settled in place, but I've got used to it now and i'm okay with it.

I do like the added "stiffness" to the shift. 3rd gear has a noticeably firmer feel and feels very nice during quick down shifts during deceleration and heel toeing.  

The main reason I went with these mods is that the gear shift goes very soft on the track which I have been assuming is the gear oil getting thin and the mounts getting soft with the additional heat. I can still feel the shift getting softer as the gearbox warms up but it is better than before. The real test will be at Snetterton next week so we'll see how it does then, but so far so good. 

I did notice the gearbox was a bit notchy when cold. More so that stock it seems. I think this maybe down to the Millers being on the thicker side at 40C for a 75W90 oil - good thing for higher temps on the track.

Pilfered image:

8088927995_1cd7319fa0_c.jpg

I found exactly the same, still unsure if i'm keeping mine in as the whine sometimes drives me nuts.

I got used to the whine very quickly and kinda like it because RACECAR but I can see how it could drive you nuts.

Its other nvh that has got me wondering if its worth it or not. Will see how it feels at snetterton and take it from there.

Car setup and testing – Road driving

So I’ve had the AD08s fitted for a little while and I have been busy playing with settings to get the balance I am after ready for Snetterton next week.

Quick overview of my static setup:

Front to back

10mm positive rake

Front has 62% of total roll stiffness

~1.8Hz ride frequency front and back

Front

60N/mm springs

-2.5⁰ camber

-0.05⁰ toe

235/40/18 AD08R

Rear

70N/mm spring

-1.5⁰ and -2⁰ camber (RL & RR)

0.08⁰ toe

235/40/18 AD08R

Tyre pressures

First I tried 35psi all round which was awful. Dropped to 28psi and things massively improved and think this is a good setting. Grip levels and feel/progressiveness are very good when cold.

Damper Settings

Once I settled on 28psi I set the dampers to 12 clicks from full stiff all-round (this is a fast road setting). I found the car a tad loose with this setup. Although turn in was sharp and corner entry speed fantastic, I felt like I wanted to be able to get a little more power down on corner exit. To test the theory I increased the front pressure to 30psi which effectively reduces front grip. I liked this balance a lot.

Next I and tried softening the rear damping to 16 clicks from full firm. The car had a fair amount of initial understeer with this setup. Great for putting power down as you ease out of the corner but corner entry was definitely compromised and the front end lacked feel. Might be a nice setup for wet track days – we’ll see.

In the end I have settled on 28psi all round and 12 clicks front and 14 clicks rear for dry road use. At the track next week I’ll have more time to play with settings but this will be my starting point in terms of damper offset, probably starting with 8 clicks up front and 12 clicks at the back. I’ll probably start with tyre pressures set to 28psi cold and go from there with a target of 30psi when hot.

Anyone has any advice or tips with the AD08R, it would be greatly appreciated, as I haven’t used these on track before.

I don't recall any extra whine when I had my positive shift mount.....maybe it's been that long that I don't know the difference any more but I don't recall and extra nvh and I found that it helped with the notchiness.....suppose each car is slightly different....

18 minutes ago, Keethos said:

I don't recall any extra whine when I had my positive shift mount.....maybe it's been that long that I don't know the difference any more but I don't recall and extra nvh and I found that it helped with the notchiness.....suppose each car is slightly different....

That's interesting. I could hear my gearbox whine a little in low gears even with the stock mounts so perhaps not all boxes are the same. 

I think its a very subjective thing. With the stock exhaust it  would be very noticeable in my car, but with my Cosworth Cat back its not that noticeable and I kinda like it now.  

Definitely made a lot of noise on mine when it was first fitted. I remember getting out of the car on the cat and fiddle thinking something was broken!

I was a bit like that. I was wondering if I forgot the put the drain plug back in before refilling the gearbox!

Snetterton Trackday 27/04/16

Had a cracking day at Snetterton on wednesday with Dan, Rich, Paul and Sheldon. Also good to see Jay, Dan (steeps) and Mike pop over.

Weather was good in the morning session starting out quite cold but dry. I was quite tentative most of the day on the brakes because I fitted them the night before and they were still bedding in most of the morning sessions. I hadn't considered just how much time old discs and new pad need to properly bed in. 

We got a bit of rain around 3pm which made things interesting if not a bit hairy, but it was good to practice consistent driving with the lower grip threshold.

Some car data. Very happy with temps, though its clear the added heat from the oil to water cooler is pushing up my water temps a little bit, especially in area where there is alot of WOT at lower speeds (less airflow throguh the bumper)

Dry session. You can see the bumps in the coolant temp curve where you have slower sections directly following the longish straights
Snet270416-250pm_zpsz1ikdqnm.png

This was on a wet/damp track so I built up the pace and hence this stead rise in temps as the session went on.

Snet270416-4pm_zpsnumtiafi.png

Some pics
20160427_125818_zpst1psxfdj.jpg

20160427_074807_zpscyixund3.jpg

20160427_074848_zpsyf07b5zt.jpg

Two garages 5 cars? Easy
20160427_081634_zpsl1opskum.jpg

Only track pic I have is one pilfered from the Javelin website:

Untitled_zpsbizhffvu.png

Also forgot to add anything about the transmission.

It felt good all day. The shift did get a little loser than when normal road driving, but it remained much firmer than previously. I don't know if it was the gear oil or the insert or a combination of both but I am very happy to see the back of the sloppy shiftier. 

Bring on the next trackday in a month or so :)

Finally got the brakes sort the evening before Snettereton

20160426_165141_zpspepoalpp.jpg

20160426_150500_zpsarvenqyn.jpg

20160427_074937_zpshfk2w3iw.jpg

20160427_074924_zpsfw3nn4sk.jpg

20160427_074742_zpsx9gzhehz.jpg

Spend the morning bedding in the front pads onto the used AP Racing Discs.

Very happy with the feel now they are bedded in nicely and no signs of fade all day from the Streetmaster pads.

14 minutes ago, Deacon said:

Do you have centre of wheel to arch ride height measurements for yours Ade?

No Mate, but i'll get them if you want. 

IIRC I measured ground to top of wheel arch when installing the Ohlins. Its lowered about 20-25mm at the front and 15-20mm at the back. Its slightly different on each side as it setup with me in the drivers seat. 

Gave the car a good some much needed TLC. I've never done any "detailing" before but I had a load of autoglym stuff I bought when I got the car 3.5year ago and never used.

I started out washing the car thoroughly with autoglym car shampoo using the usual mitt and two bucket methods and drying with a few microfibres.

Then I used the Autoglym clay detailing kit. This took about 2 hours but OMG I had no idea how much crap was still stuck to the paint! Highly recommended if you have never clayed your car before. I wish I took pics to show the dirt ut it is rather satisfying to feel the silky smooth paintwork afterwards. 

I had tried using the Resin polish before by hand and found it needed a lot of elbow grease, so I borrowed one of these from my buddy:

DAS6-PROb.jpg

Went over the car twice, left to cure a bit, then buffed. Lovely. 

Next was the Autoglym Extra Gloss protection. Apply with microfibre, let cure for an hour and buff to a gloss shine.

And the results Big smile
20160508_180401_zpsldtovvbt.jpg

20160508_180409_zpseks5tvi6.jpg

20160508_180417_zpseizrmdai.jpg

20160508_180423_zpsbsmqz1ss.jpg

and almost forgot to put on the cossy badge
20160508_181613_zpsp7qk6lyb.jpg

1 hour ago, Ade said:

No Mate, but i'll get them if you want. 

IIRC I measured ground to top of wheel arch when installing the Ohlins. Its lowered about 20-25mm at the front and 15-20mm at the back. Its slightly different on each side as it setup with me in the drivers seat. 

That'd be appreciated, cheers!

@Ade I saw you post on my thread on the other side - apologies for not replying I'm not posting on there anymore. In terms of the bushes I definitely agree that the insert adds more whine although it does seem to decrease with time I've found. Not had any issues with any of the other bushes since they've been fitted. Still need to get a full, proper geometry and suspension set up so once that's done I should hopefully get a better view of how it's all working together.