Lauren

Round 1 Blyton Park 2nd April

I'm nearly ready, just gotta put stickers on and get tyres changed. 

Fensport setup the suspension yesterday and upgraded all the brakes with stainless steel lines and new pads / discs. 

Got some Nankang NS2-R Pro Tyres to go on. Despite them being Nankang, they're supposed to be pretty good and get reviewed against teh AD08R and R888s. 

Looking forward to it now! I've also agreed that Dan from Fensport can share my car in the class as he can't get his ready. So will have some direct competition! :)

4 hours ago, GT86Jay said:

I'm nearly ready, just gotta put stickers on and get tyres changed. 

Fensport setup the suspension yesterday and upgraded all the brakes with stainless steel lines and new pads / discs. 

Got some Nankang NS2-R Pro Tyres to go on. Despite them being Nankang, they're supposed to be pretty good and get reviewed against teh AD08R and R888s. 

Looking forward to it now! I've also agreed that Dan from Fensport can share my car in the class as he can't get his ready. So will have some direct competition! :)

I have used the NS2r's and they are not anywhere near the 888's they take quite a while to get heat in, found lower than normal pressures helped as the sidewalls are pretty stiff.

If they take time to get heat into the tyres, they just won't work on the sprint. You want tyres where you can heat them up really quickly. Guessing in a FWD, you're going to be totally sideways due to not being able to get heat into the rears. 

5 hours ago, KevinA said:

I have used the NS2r's and they are not anywhere near the 888's they take quite a while to get heat in, found lower than normal pressures helped as the sidewalls are pretty stiff.

2 hours ago, Lauren said:

If they take time to get heat into the tyres, they just won't work on the sprint. You want tyres where you can heat them up really quickly. Guessing in a FWD, you're going to be totally sideways due to not being able to get heat into the rears. 

Which compound was this? There are two compounds on the NS2r, a Track and street. All the reviews show Track compound being harder to get heat into them and work a lot better on track with heat. I've gone for the street compound which is supposed to be grippy from pretty much go but don't last as long on longer sessions. 

Either way I imagine anything is better than the cheap budget crap that was on there! 

I've been driving round B-Roads and driving round and round roundabouts to learn the throttle control and the tyres seem very good. But they are cheap. So I might end up getting AD08Rs later on in season. 

Jay, I was referring to Kev's comment about them taking time to heat up, I've no experience of Nankang tyres, they are not a tyre I would use. 888's or AD08R's or A048's (way better) would likely be a better option. I know Kev has run the Nankangs in Time Attack. 

On the other hand, they might be fine. Who are you running against in your class. Is Gary your only competitor?

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

Jay, I was referring to Kev's comment about them taking time to heat up, I've no experience of Nankang tyres, they are not a tyre I would use. 888's or AD08R's or A048's (way better) would likely be a better option. I know Kev has run the Nankangs in Time Attack. 

On the other hand, they might be fine. Who are you running against in your class. Is Gary your only competitor?

Yeah, Got the quotes mixed up. That was a reply for Kev really.

I would have gone for AD08R or R888 but couldn't find them in stock anywhere for the size I needed, the Nankangs came up at a very good price local to me. The other thing is i've put them on a Light weight starlet so they're never really going to get a massive amount of loaded weight onto them. Obviously the AD08 and R888 will be a better price at double the price and more reputable companies. But these Nankangs have been used in MX5 and Clio Cup series with success. They might not work at all for sprint. But we'll see. 

Soon as I can find a set of AD08s in the size I need that are in stock i'll order a set. Unless these Nankangs prove half decent.  

I don't think Gary has signed up yet, plus I think he'll be in the higher class. (He has a 1.5 engine swap in his?) there was 4 or 5 people supposedly building cars for the E Class, but yet to actually produce a car and enter?! :(  For Blyton I have arranged to car share and let Dan from Fensport drive my car as he can't get his ready in time. So i'll have direct competition in the same car. 

I'm treating this year as a learning curve and not expecting to win anything or go and set decent lap times. Just a bit of fun really. 

Fair enough. At least you'll have some direct competiton. I think a lighter car will mean the tyres are less likely to heat up. But see how you go. Tyres used as a control in one make series doesn't mean they're any good, it's more of a marketing ploy by the tyre manufacturer (normally when people think they aren't any good) of course and the deal with the series sponsor which tends to make people think they're better if they are used in a racing series. But of course, that's nonsense really as it's only comparing to other tyres used that determines whether they are any good or not. I think most run 888's in the TSS because they are cheaper than A048's, but there will be little debate over which is the better tyre. 

I forgot about Gary putting the 1.5 in, Richard did mention it. By all means enjoy it and I get that it's a learning curve, but always drive to win I say. :)

But all said and done, just go out and win, I reckon. Good luck! :) 

Of Course :) If I can win something. The tyres work for me. When i'm chasing tenths of a second to beat someone. And I'm at that level i'll worry more about the tyre :D

From what I can tell the street compound of this tyre doesn't need much heat to get it working. And too much heat actually wears it out and makes it worse. But you can read a 100 forums and get a different answer by all. And eventually you'll find the answer you want to hear. So I'm just going to go out there and see what they do! 

Just looking forward to getting involved this year and having a good time socially and hopefully learn something! Will see you in the Premier inn for some beer Friday! 

Good stuff! :)

Can't wait till next Friday. Only a three day week to contend with and fitting six days work into it, I'm sure it'll be fine. ;)

I'm just so looking forward to it all. I love the racing and the banter too. Good times ahead. :)

You will have fun no matter what, the Nankang info is very confusing. The 120 compound ( soft ) is the quickest to heat up and 180 ( harder ) is more road based. I tried both in TA and I sprinted on the 120 at Rockingham. Be good to see you at Blyton and I'm glad to help if you need anything. Car prep for me is lacking as stuff did not arrive and people let us down. Have done most of it myself where I could as Adrian was flat out with builds etc.... The important bits done locally and Abbey done my alignment for me ( Thanks Mark ) 

2 hours ago, rob275 said:

Bit disappointed with the take-up of the TSS this year :/ @mike-p where are you? I'm contemplating whether I should bother turning up on the weekend at the moment. :mellow:

I'm busy on 2nd, my daughters have a long standing event I'm taking them to.

I may enter round 2 at Snetterton as a one off, but I won't be competing in the other rounds this year, too many other things to do.

Cadwell on the 3rd May is the first thing on the list.

2 hours ago, rob275 said:

Bit disappointed with the take-up of the TSS this year :/ @mike-p where are you? I'm contemplating whether I should bother turning up on the weekend at the moment. :mellow:

You need to come for the piss up the night before!

I'll be at at least one round later in the year, will be doing a couple of track days to get used to the car with all the mods first though. My former boss has a holiday home on Anglesey so it will probably be that first.

12 hours ago, mike-p said:

I may enter round 2 at Snetterton as a one off, but I won't be competing in the other rounds this year, too many other things to do.

Round 2 at Snetterton? Am I confused or isn't Snetterton the last round and Round 2 is at Blyton again? 

Meh well I guess that's me out of the rest of the rounds then!

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

I don't know whether to be flattered, offended or what by that!