chris.tarry85

Would you buy an ex publicity car?

Hi All,

First post, so please go easy on me!

I'm looking to buy a manual GT-86 (preferably an Aero if the budget allows) and this one is at my local dealers:

http://usedcars.toyota.co.uk/used/GT86/2.0-Aero/Inchcape-Toyota-Oxford/Kidlington/4065941-605389081-1323197.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_

The issue is that if you google "GT-86 Aero Review" it seems this is the exact car which has been round AutoCar, Car Magazine, Pistonheads etc. for them to review - the reg number is in all the pics!

It's still got almost four years of warranty remaining, but the impact of consumable / wear and tear items does worry me a little - I can't imagine it has been driven gently for example or that it was broken in for the first 500 miles?

Would you walk away? Use it as a negotiation tool? Or dis-regard it's history?

Thanks!

Well, it's bound to have been driven hard. But then again if anything is going to break you'd think that the next four years warranty (well the next two are more inclusive than the last two) would cover any issues. You could try and negotiate based on all this, though they may see it as a selling point, as it is certainly the case that when a car gets older, to have the actual car that did the press rounds in terms of reviews and all that has it's appeal too. 

A car that has been given a good thrashing is not always a bad thing either, it's more whether it's been treated with due respect. I don't know do road testers worry about warming an engine before inserting their lead foot? I would say as a car enthusiast which they surely are too, that you'd hope they would. I suppose compare this with a wally who just plants it from cold all the time and I know which I'd rather have. But YMMV of course and it's impossible to really know. I wouldn't be hugely put off by this, but I would want an extended test drive. 

My gut says these cars will be spanked mercilessly, sometimes from cold. It's rather like a rental car to the reviewers. Given the drift happy setup of the 86 it will have certainly been sideways on numerous occasions. It takes a toll on things like wheel bearings and such, not to mention lots of bouncing off the limiter. Wear and tear undermines any warranty, so it might add some bills further down the road.

Personally I'd look elsewhere (and buy it in a proper colour...)

Surely it just comes down to whether it's the right price. I certainly would want it to be cheaper...

And frankly you don't know where ANY second hand 86 has been. They're generally not bought to go shopping in! One reason I bought a new one in the end. That way I know it's been abused, but only by me

I did just this.

I Bought an ex Toyota press TRD for a very good price.

Have added near 20k miles over nearly two years with over 12 track days as well as sprints.Drive it hard and us it every day. The funny thing is it hasn't missed a beat and has not suffered any of the niggles that many others have!

Of course it still has the warranty so what's to worry about? I honestly think treating cars like they are made from ice is a waste of time.

Drive it hard and enjoy it. It's what Toyota had in mind when they designed it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine so I have been told is ex press car I have met the guy who checks these over when returned no expense spared he also preped the cars for the Toyota Sports Day some being borrowed from Silverstone of which he had to get up to standard as the general public would be driving them. Mine so far lights replaced  and glove box damper refitted 

Thanks all - very valid points.

I think I will go into the dealers, be very upfront about knowing it's past and see what they say regarding checks, work etc that has been done on it prior to sale.

I guess the best case scenario is that they produce a wedge of paperwork to show everything has been checked / replaced!

In terms of price - any ideas of how expensive it is? Certainly seems at the bottom end of Aero's on sale from Toyota themselves?

It seems that the 86's that have had a rough life seem to come up trumps against those that have been driven lightly. As long as it's checked over and the price is right, I wouldn't be too fussed about it. After all, it's got 4 years left and as Lauren has rightly pointed out, if anything is going to go wrong, it's likely to be sooner rather than later...

The link doesn't work for me, but I spy Inchcape in the IRL. One of our other cars is a 62 plate Audi A6 which we bought new from an Inchcape dealer. The reason I ended up with them is because they just gave a straight 15% discount over the car plus all accessories we ordered against the list price. You said the car seems to be near the bottom end of the price from Toyota (which I assume is the new price), so why not see what price Inchcape will sell a brand new car for?

It's cheaper than any other Aero on Pistonheads, so I think it is priced fairly. They certainly indicated that there was not much room for haggling.

Went to look in the dark yesterday - dealer claimed not to know about it's past life but offered to let me go through all the work that has been done on it etc.

Going back tomorrow to take a look in the daylight and go thru the paperwork.

I'm thinking that the big things are tyre's, oils and pads - would expect all of them to have been changed.

Can you even buy a new aero now? It's not on the online car configurator?

Depends on the mileage really. My brake pads and discs lasted nearly 40K, so not necessarily. Check the service book for stamps of course and the corresponding receipts. Without knowing the mileage though I can't comment as your link doesn't work. 

4 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Depends on the mileage really. My brake pads and discs lasted nearly 40K, so not necessarily. Check the service book for stamps of course and the corresponding receipts. Without knowing the mileage though I can't comment as your link doesn't work. 

10.5k - the pads are going to have been used hard I am sure though

They'll still have loads in them. If it's only been driven on the road, I wouldn't have expected them to get that hot. It is possible to overheat the pads on the road, but you have to be really trying. But even so, they will have plenty of life left in them yet. 

Went to the dealers today, and whilst the car has a stamp from Toyota GB in the first service box there is no further detail in paper form or electronically on their system as to what was checked / changed.

Would you expect this?

You could doubtless check with the dealer group that serviced it, but I wouldn't expect to see much on such a low mileage car apart from the usual first service interval sundries. 

Managed to get another 500 off the ticket price today, so signed on the line!

Am away with work now though so can't collect until the 11th!

The benefit of it being a publicity car is that I already have a bucketload of pics far better than I could ever take!

This could be the longest 10 days ever...

image.jpg

image.jpg

I've heard stories from some JLR guys that often the press cars are made to a slightly higher tolerance partly due to the small numbers and because they want to make sure the press don't have any niggles and quality issues. Whether this is completely true or even if it applies to other companies who knows, but either way, congrats!

This definitely happens at some places, at Nissan the rule was all parts for press cars were 1/3 of the usual production tolerance band.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk